Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vic Police get new weapons

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Skids wrote:
David wrote:
Skids wrote:
Multiculturalism working wonders.

I’ll probably regret asking this, but can you actually explain what you think culture has to do with propensity to riot? Or is this just your code word to pull out whenever non-whites are committing crimes?

Up until 30 years ago, the only weapon carried by our Police was a baton.
I think the results of mass immigration over the last 2 decades, quite clearly speaks for itself.

It really doesn't. It could point to social breakdown for other reasons (Mugwump would blame the '60s; others might blame neoliberalism and the decline of community); or, it could point to an increase in authoritarianism and the militarisation of our police forces. But as they say, everything looks like a nail to a hammer.

And the concrete "diversity barriers" that have sprung up in western cities. What is their genesis?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:30 pm

A panicked institutional reaction to a genuinely horrific but, in the broader historical context, relatively flash-in-the-pan (and seemingly already declining) method of terrorism (which students of history will recognise as a phenomenon that is not inherently related to multiculturalism, and which is also totally irrelevant to anything discussed so far in this thread). Nice try though.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Quote:
People with an agenda will filter in the stories that suit their agenda and screen everything else out.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:00 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:
People with an agenda will filter in the stories that suit their agenda and screen everything else out.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:48 pm

David wrote:
Skids wrote:

Up until 30 years ago, the only weapon carried by our Police was a baton.
I think the results of mass immigration over the last 2 decades, quite clearly speaks for itself.

It really doesn't. It could point to social breakdown for other reasons (Mugwump would blame the '60s; others might blame neoliberalism and the decline of community); or, it could point to an increase in authoritarianism and the militarisation of our police forces. But as they say, everything looks like a nail to a hammer.

OK, a couple of things here.

Firstly, Skids, why do you think Police have only carried guns in the last 30 years? They didn't fight bushrangers by throwing sticks at them, they've always had guns except maybe foot patrol in the cities. I grew up in the NSW bush and the cops there carried revolvers as a side arm in the 70's.

David, whatever the cause, it's clear that Police have evolved in response as society has evolved. As respect for authority has generally diminished (ask a school teacher) and Police found themselves more in physical danger trying to do their job (which is to protect us) they've had to be better armed and more willing to use force to maintain peace.

The number of protests we see lately that are far from peaceful is but one trigger for the better arms. These idiots vandalise property and physically assault other people and the Police trying to stop them. These weapons are a non-lethal way to regain control of situations without putting the Police members in physical danger.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:18 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Not really. Do you see me leaping on every story about white violence or non-white community-mindedness and posting them here to make a point? The reason I don't is that that stuff doesn't make my pulse race in the same way as stories of non-white violence clearly do for others.

I do generally support multiculturalism (for reasons expressed in the 'Immigration' thread), but I'm also open to critiques of it (and have made them myself in the past, including recently on here – see http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1760726#1760726). Where I take a harder line is in my opposition to prejudice and xenophobia, sentiments that at least one poster broadcasts on here on a regular basis as part of a clear (and, on multiple occasions, self-admitted) anti-immigrant agenda.

Those posts serve a practically propagandistic function, and it disappoints me when more reasonable posters are swayed by the selective facts conveyed by them, or when it's left to the token lefty of the forum to push back (leading to more of the same knee-jerk us vs them left vs right dynamic). Mugwump and I may not see eye to eye on most topics, but I appreciate that he does correct Skids from time to time when he says something inaccurate, as Stui has also done in the post above. I think others here could follow that lead, unless of course they're under the same spell.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:14 pm

I stand corrected. Apologies.
I did think it was wide of the mark when I posted it.
However, in this case, your insistence that things like concrete bollards, stocking up on riot gear etc. etc. is in no way related to the arrival of folks with disparate ideologies and cultures seems either naive or ideologically-driven.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:39 pm

I don't think anyone could deny that the concrete bollards and the enhanced security at sporting events was a direct result of the threat of Islamic extremist terrorist acts.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 pm

^ Partially (certainly, they would have been influenced by overseas terrorist attacks), though it's worth noting that, as far as we can tell, neither of the two actual occurrences in Melbourne that preceded their implementation were.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:08 pm

Fixed
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:10 pm

^

And the lesson is that is, the authorities prevented many attacks. The ones that got through were off the grid.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:54 pm

A lot of money to be made in bollards.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:58 am

What size do you want? Safety yellow? Happy to quote!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: