Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tradewinds : Chad Wingard to Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Chad Wingard an upgrade on Fasolo&Elliot
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 33 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 20 ]
Same Class
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 57

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No really, it's true.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:27 pm

SwansWay wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
He hasn't had a high-performing season since 2016. His goal averages from 2013 are 1.8, 1.8, 2.4, 2.1, 1.3 and 1. It looks just a little like he's on the decline. I appreciate that he's only 25 but some players who rely on pace do fade earlier than other players - he wouldn't be the first pacy, small forward to play his best football in the first 5 years of an AFL career. It may just be that he needs a change of scenery but you'd want to be satisfied that he still has the physical attributes that made him so difficult to match up on between 2013 and 2015. On the other hand, he's a good kick for goal and, if he's physically right and wants it, could play another 100 or so high quality games (2019 to 2022).

Yes, buyer beware for mine. I'm just curious though, as he's been discussed as a replacement for Elliott or Fas, I'm not even sure who Elliott would replace in our forward line if he were fit. It's a nice dilemma to have but bringing in Wingard, who goes out of the team for him?

DeGoey & Stephenson will spend more time in the midfield
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:32 pm

For Greenwood and Mayne.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:44 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
SwansWay wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
He hasn't had a high-performing season since 2016. His goal averages from 2013 are 1.8, 1.8, 2.4, 2.1, 1.3 and 1. It looks just a little like he's on the decline. I appreciate that he's only 25 but some players who rely on pace do fade earlier than other players - he wouldn't be the first pacy, small forward to play his best football in the first 5 years of an AFL career. It may just be that he needs a change of scenery but you'd want to be satisfied that he still has the physical attributes that made him so difficult to match up on between 2013 and 2015. On the other hand, he's a good kick for goal and, if he's physically right and wants it, could play another 100 or so high quality games (2019 to 2022).

Yes, buyer beware for mine. I'm just curious though, as he's been discussed as a replacement for Elliott or Fas, I'm not even sure who Elliott would replace in our forward line if he were fit. It's a nice dilemma to have but bringing in Wingard, who goes out of the team for him?

DeGoey & Stephenson will spend more time in the midfield

But then who goes out of the midfield?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:47 pm

^As P4S said, Greenwood and Mayne most at risk of losing their midfield spots next season
Number 35 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:05 pm

DeGoey will become an out-right midfielder, he has brownlow written all over him. Issues with Fasolo and Elliot are keeping DeGoey chained like a beast in a dungeon.

We must not undersell ourselves here and overlook the significance of not having Elliot or Fasolo contributing to the team and the likeness of this continuing. Our team would have been much more potent this season if we had the freedom of playing DeGoey mid, which was evident against Melbourne, and have a player like Elliot up forward kicking close to 50 a season. Anyway from what i hear, Fasolo is blue and Elliot is exploring so we are going to have to bring in someone of a high-calibur.

Wingard is the type of player who will produce in spades in a new fresh enviroment. To me, he was never meant to be a midfielder and is being wasted. We are talking about a former 2x AA. He is very smart around goal and his ability to connect play and set-up goals is also Elite. At 22 he kicked 53.27 in a season.

Were not talking about an injury riddled player here like Fas, Wells and Elliot. Were talking about a Gun entering their prime who wants a fresh challenge and to play for a big club. Who is to say he cant kick 200 or more over the next 5 seasons.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
^As P4S said, Greenwood and Mayne most at risk of losing their midfield spots next season

Greenwood maybe. Mayne, a lock if he continues in this vein. He's not really playing in the midfield anyway and I doubt Stevo or De Goey would play his role. My point is who goes out that's like for like? Greenwood and Mayne are not like for like to the aforementioned names.
Number 35 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:16 pm

All this talk about bringing in another defender is over-board.

And who says you have to be 6foot6 to be a solid key-defender.

I can name plenty who were average height.

One that immediatley comes to mind in James Clement.

Invigoration 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Damien wrote:
We have 4 of his type with over 30 goals this season. We share the love rather than rely on one individual. How many did he kick this year?

If it comes back to the question of who you’d rather get; Wingard or May? I’d take May every day of the week.

Yeah we kicked nearly 300 more points as a team than PA. He kicked less goals than those four this year, but beats each one of the convincingly in pretty much every other statistic.

Who of those four types are you implying is more consistent than him though? None of Thomas, WHE, JDG or JS come close to having consistently performed as well as Wingard. In fact, none of them have even tied two genuinely good seasons together yet.

And Wingard for me over May by an absolute mile considering there won't be that much of a difference in their cost.
We don't need to sell the bank for an good average defender, Dunn is testament to that fact. Even with our backline decimated we haven't considered 12 goals in the last 4 weeks. People are really overstating on backline issues, especially if Moore stays. Worst comes to worst, get another stop-gap solution like Scott Thompson while we wait for Will Kelly to come on.

I read somewhere earlier that May had conceded the most goals of any defender to play over a certain amount of games. As a RFA he is appealing, for a top 5 pick he is vomit inducing

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:23 pm

It's always smart to try and be prescient when it comes to future list needs. I'm not advocating for no player movement at all, I just can't see how our club is in a position where we need to do anything drastic like bringing in an overpaid recruit. Another KPP in defence would be important but with Dunn one of the best in the game before his knee injury, I'd be more inclined to develop some young KPD's to replace the veterans when they retire rather than having two experienced and expensive best 22 defenders competing for one spot.
Number 35 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Top Post Invigoration
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:47 pm

SwansWay wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

Greenwood maybe. Mayne, a lock if he continues in this vein. He's not really playing in the midfield anyway and I doubt Stevo or De Goey would play his role. My point is who goes out that's like for like? Greenwood and Mayne are not like for like to the aforementioned names.

We don't need like for like. On the assumption that DeGoey and Stephenson continue to develop they will play midfield and it will be the other teams that have match up issues, not us.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:13 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
SwansWay wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

We don't need like for like. On the assumption that DeGoey and Stephenson continue to develop they will play midfield and it will be the other teams that have match up issues, not us.

Like for like is important for balance. And I doubt Stevo will be in the midfield next season. We've found a forward combination that's scoring heavily each week. If you bring Wingard in, one of our well performing forwards takes his 35+ goals a year away with him to be replaced by a guy who is doing worse statistically speaking. He might be a godsend, but does he improve upon what we already have?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Given the rumours of our interest in May wont go away I'd take that as evidence enough the club is aware we need to add some size and strength capability to our defensive stocks for 2019.

At present we have 4 players capable or potentially capable of physically matching up on the likes of a Hawkins or Kennedy.

One is Dunn who'll be 32 in May of next season and coming off a knee reconstruction.

Reid will be 30 in April and has been used primarily up forward these past 2 seasons. Only played 6 games this year while 3 of the last 5 seasons have seen him play this amount or less. Serious question marks about his durability have to remain.

Moore is still an unknown quantity as a defender in the AFL though the potential is obvious. His hamstring issues are close to being considered a chronic problem. Yet to re-sign.

McLarty remains an unknown quantity in any position at AFL level and has spent the entire season playing a role as a ruck/forward in the VFL.

While I remain a fan I worry if he has that burst of speed required to contend with many key forwards at AFL level.

The following aren't genuine key position defenders at AFL level.

Howe. Turns 29 next season. Excellent 190cm defender capable of playing taller because of his leap. At 88kg though is giving away 15kgs to the likes of Josh Kennedy so can't afford to engage him in a tussle.

Goldsack. Like Dunn is coming of a knee and also turns 32 in May. Actually stands 1cm taller than Dunn at 193cm but at 93kg is 9kg lighter so isn't suited against the really big key forwards.

Scharenberg. 191cm, 90kg. Clearly undersized and the sad reality is after a third knee reconstruction will do well to play another 20 games for the club let alone 120.

Mihocek. 192cm, 94kg. Drafted as defensive insurance but has been a revelation up forward so you'd be loathe to move him at present. Like the above I suspect at AFL level he will struggle to physically contain the biggest opponents.

Madgen. 192cm, 92kg. Groundhog day.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Straight swap.
Moore for Winguard.
Better go out and get a couple of big guys after that deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: