Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

All Australian Squad

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 AFL ALL-AUSTRALIAN TEAM

B: Tom Stewart (Geel) Alex Rance (Rich) Rory Laird (Adel)

HB: Shannon Hurn (WC) Jeremy McGovern (WC) Lachie Whitfield (GWS)

C: Andrew Gaff (WC) Dustin Martin (Rich) Steele Sidebottom (Coll)

HF: Patrick Dangerfield (v-c, Geel) Lance Franklin (capt, Syd) Robbie Gray (Padel)

F: Jack Gunston (Haw) Jack Riewoldt (Rich) Luke Breust (Haw)

R: Max Gawn (Melb) Patrick Cripps (Carl) Tom Mitchell (Haw)

I: Shane Edwards (Rich) Brodie Grundy (Coll) Shaun Higgins (NM) Clayton Oliver (Melb).

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 am

What's that got to do with it ? ". "
K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:24 am

Whitfield, I see. Gubby will be pleased. Wink
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:13 am

Well done to Steele and Brodie for their AA gongs
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 am

Surely Sidey is just keeping that wing warm for Oxley?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:24 am

I think Sidey is a lot of things.
WalZ_PieZ 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Interesting Grundy was interviewed by Whatley along with Gawn (they called Gawn back out)
When Grundy was talking they showed Buckley in the audience and he was smiling ear to ear like a genuine proud father
Grundy is so softly spoken it defies his stature

Had the pleasure of meeting Grundy when on holidays overseas. I was keeping to myself so I don't annoy him, but he was keen on having a conversation. We spoke for like 10-15 minutes and then he suggested we took a photo together with my boy.
Very nice guy and well spoken. My favourite player since.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:01 pm

To celebrate Brodie Grundy receiving his first all Australian honour I thought I'd look back to the 2012 draft and see how the opinions of the media scribes and phantom drafters have stacked up 6 years on.

First we start with afl.com.au and resident draft "expert" Callum Twomey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pop4XzuI4yY

Brodie Grundy discussion starts at 8:10 and to Twomey's credit his mail was spot on that the "best ruckman in the competition" would slide and he had GWS taking him at pick 14.

His fellow panelists seemed less convinced of this with Sheehan glowing in his praise believing he'd become "a ruck star in the AFL".

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2012-11-20/aflcomaus-phantom-draft

Quote:

14. Greater Western Sydney - Brodie Grundy

Height: 202cm
Weight: 100kg
DOB: 15/04/94
Club: Sturt
Draft range: 7-14
The best young ruckman in the country joins GWS, in one of the great draft steals of recent years. Grundy is a combative, competitive ruckman who is only relatively new to football after enjoying a promising junior basketball career. He has played senior football at SANFL level for Sturt and more than held his own, and will be likely to get a fair taste of AFL action next year with a body ready to step up to the next level.

Next up we have Emma Quayle formerly of The Age giving us her 2012 phantom draft.

She had Grundy sliding out to pick 20 and got the destination correct.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-2012-afl-national-draft-20121121-29qfq.html

Quote:
20. COLLINGWOOD
BRODIE GRUNDY
(Sturt. 18, 202cm, 100kg)
Aggressive, competitive ruckman who can go forward and take marks.
THE RATIONALE: He's simply to good to leave sitting there. As a bonus, the Pies' ruck stocks could do with an addition or two.
THE COMPLICATION: He could have gone anywhere from 14 onwards. If Grundy isn't there, Western Jet Spencer White could be the big bolter. Collingwood would like him at 39, but may get nervous that Richmond will pinch him at 34.

Now for Fox Footy and the thoughts of Jay Clark and Sam Landsberger from the Herald-Sun.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/find-out-who-your-club-is-predicted-in-thursdays-national-afl-draft/news-story/e7ef36109cb04faa55bd13c61e03126e?sv=cbd084453c22a9acf22c875b3c68a828

Quote:

19. Collingwood
BRODIE GRUNDY
HEIGHT: 202cm
CLUB: Sturt (SA)
Massive steal with combative ruckman Grundy the slider of 2012. Pencilled in as top-three early. Dangerous forward and helps Pies slender big-man stocks.

Bigfooty resident draft expert Knightmare had his Mock Draft up and running back in 2012 and he listed Grundy at No.9 within his power rankings.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2012-mock-draft.956129/

Quote:
#16 Geelong – Brodie Grundy (SA - Ruck)
Height: 202cm, Weight: 100kg, DOB: 15/04/1994
Recruited from: Sturt
Style: Peter Everitt
Player comparison: Todd Goldstein
Range: 3-18
Profile: Ruckman who has shown serious improvement over the past two years. Comes from a basketball background. Very athletic and has a huge leap, is already a high level tap ruckman who still can improve further in this area of his game. Consistently hits it to advantage and knows who’s at his feet. Strong mark overhead and can mark at the highest point but can miss some easier marks at times as well so in that regard needs to develop more consistency in his marking game. Also this year is starting to take some contested marks when he goes forward which is promising and has really improved his play forward of centre. Has a huge work rate. Another unique feature with Grundy is his ability at ground level and below the knees is very clean with his pickups. Skill level above average for a ruckman and has a nice long kick but still could develop more consistency. Can close out games strongly when the game is on the line and has that extra gear which I view as a real selling point and an aspect of his game that he can continue at the next level. This year Grundy has increased his contribution around the ground and is winning a lot more of his own ball which is a real positive. Additionally he has really built himself into a powerful unit and will be able to step into a ruck division and play from round one which will big for the club who draft him. Another thing I like with Grundy is that he is really willing to improve and will work hard with coaches to make his game better so I think Grundy will fulfil his upside and continue on his swift improvement. There have been some recent personality questions but with the way he has developed his game and from what I hear a real willingness to hit the weights room I wouldn’t read too much into this. Ready to play round one.

The Drop Punt.
https://www.thedroppuntnews.com.au/2012-afl-phantom-draft/

Quote:
7. Port Adelaide – Brodie Grundy
Position: Ruckman
Team: Sturt
State: South Australia
There is arguably daylight between Brodie Grundy and the next best ruck prospect, as Grundy dominated the National Championships with ease in 2012 and Port Adelaide will think Christmas has come early with the SA native likely to be available at pick 7. Grundy stamped himself as the draft’s best ruckman this year and is imposing, intimidating and punishing – everything a player of his size should be. Perhaps Grundy’s biggest asset currently is that he is a readymade AFL footballer who is capable of playing in Round 1 next season. Not only does Grundy bench press 130kgs, but his tap work has been raved about, averaging 24 hitouts to advantage throughout his 2012 campaign. He has proved to be a headache up forward and is very much in the same mould as Dean Cox. As an agile ruckman, it’s rare for players with his frame to be as mobile as he is. After swapping over from basketball at age 15, Grundy managed All-Australian honours as a bottom-age player in 2011 and backed it up again in 2012 with the same honours. Grundy is also another graduate of the AFL-AIS Academy. Grundy looms as the biggest get for the Power in recent times and could be the second coming of Matthew Primus, a player that Port Adelaide can build around for many years to come.

The Footy Almanac.
http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/the-2012-phantom-draft/

Quote:

Pick 9
RICHMOND
Brodie Grundy
DOB: 15.4.94
Position: Ruckman/Forward
Recruited from: Sturt
Finally, the young man tipped to go within the first two picks in the draft is snapped up, at pick 9 by the very lucky Tigers. Grundy is very athletic for his size, and has a huge leap. Combined with his height, it makes him a very valuable prospect in the ruck. Can play right from Round 1, and not only does he ruck and play up forward, but he contributes around the ground, being very useful with his disposal which includes a booming kick. Has that ‘extra gear’ that some players have, and uses it well in crucial moments of tight games. Very strong mark overhead, which again, combined with his height, makes him very dangerous up forward. Grundy is one of the steals of the draft if he goes this low, and Richmond will be delightfully surprised if he ends up in their laps.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:08 pm

i think every single one of them was right. They all said that he was a top end talent and would be the steal of the draft and they all correctly predicted he would slide.

Collingwood has only the dud ruckman that came before him (with high draft picks) and the late blooming ruckmen that teams grabed off the rookie list to thank for getting him. there is no doubt whatsoever that teams had collectively decided that risking a high draft pick on a ruck prospect was a fools errand and so collectively everyone failed to see this once a generation type talent as being the exception that defies the rule (well twice a generation if you count Gawn).

Not sure who else went in that draft, but i'd be surrised if he isnt the top pick in any redo of that draft class (or at least top three)

Debatable

1 Lachie Whitfield
7 Ollie Wines
9 Nick Vlastuin

Not debatable

2 Jonathan O'Rourke
3 Lachie Plowman
4 Jimmy Toumpas
5 Jake Stringer
6 Jack McRae
8 Sam Mayes
10 Joe Daniher
11 Troy Menzel
12 Kristian Jaksch
13 Jesse Lonergan
14 Aidan Corr
15 Taylor Garner
16 Jackson Thurlow
17 Josh Simpson

Lachie Hunter and Jack Crisp the only two decent players taken after him.

Last edited by E on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJ23 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:08 pm

Congrats Steele and Grundy. Well deserved.

Pendles is stiff every year.........

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:27 pm

So how do they figure the all Australian captain?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:31 pm

^It was simply a recognition of his 8-time winner of an all-Australian guernsey.
He's not in the leadership group at the Swans.
The AA team doesn't play anyone, so there is no real role to play.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:42 am

Congrats to Grundy and Sidey. Well deserved inclusions in the team.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:32 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
So how do they figure the all Australian captain?

Same way you pick any captain - experience

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:38 am

Oh, you mean like David Dench, Haydn Bunton, Kevin Dynon, Michael Voss, Wayne Carey and Jack Trengrove...? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: