Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale John McCain

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:21 am
Post subject: Vale John McCainReply with quote

I really don't have too much knowlwdge about McCain however what I learned last night was that he was shot down in the Vietnam War.

He was a POW, placed in the notorious Hanoi Hilton prison (went there many years ago with the whole family) and when it was discovered by the Vietnamese that McCain was the son of higher up military brass was offered to be released early. McCain declined this saying he would not jumpt the queue of those POW's being allowed to go. Now that is a man.

Of course Trump called him a loser being a POW FFS.

McCain also confronted Trump about ridding their style of medicare that is providing healthcare to millions who couldn't afford it in the US (otherwise known as Obamacare).

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's been a bit of revisionism on McCain now from establishment liberals (and their organs, like The Washington Post and The New York Times) given his consistent opposition to Donald Trump. Ultimately, this guy was a hardcore Republican who supported all of the usual despicable positions of that party, was one of the leading supporters of the invasion of Iraq and advocated declaring war on Iran. Let's not whitewash his legacy.

https://splinternews.com/the-myth-of-john-mccain-1828587230

As the Chaser put it so eloquently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxqohNtLIg

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:37 am

David wrote:
I think there's been a bit of revisionism on McCain now from establishment liberals (and their organs, like The Washington Post and The New York Times) given his consistent opposition to Donald Trump. Ultimately, this guy was a hardcore Republican who supported all of the usual despicable positions of that party, was one of the leading supporters of the invasion of Iraq and advocated declaring war on Iran. Let's not whitewash his legacy.

https://splinternews.com/the-myth-of-john-mccain-1828587230

As the Chaser put it so eloquently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxqohNtLIg

I agree there has been a revision of his history. However no matter what way you cut it the way he chose not to get out early from the Hanoi Hilton has my respect. It might be a narrow view of his whole history but that gesture of itself is quite remarkable

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:19 pm

I agree, just cant imagine what strength of character that took

and it seems many of his political opponents agree:

https://www.nickiswift.com/81138/untold-truth-john-mccain/

and again, if you have nothing nice to say, sometimes its nice to just say nothing - especially when someone is dead and cant defend themselves

RIP.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:24 pm

I'm glad we agree. What if I said it can?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:23 pm
Post subject: Re: Vale John McCainReply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
I really don't have too much knowlwdge about McCain however what I learned last night was that he was shot down in the Vietnam War.

He was a POW, placed in the notorious Hanoi Hilton prison (went there many years ago with the whole family) and when it was discovered by the Vietnamese that McCain was the son of higher up military brass was offered to be released early. McCain declined this saying he would not jumpt the queue of those POW's being allowed to go. Now that is a man.

Of course Trump called him a loser being a POW FFS.

McCain also confronted Trump about ridding their style of medicare that is providing healthcare to millions who couldn't afford it in the US (otherwise known as Obamacare).

The guy had strength of character and the strength of his convictions.

You and he would have disagreed on most things political, and there's always a bit of revisionism and rose coloured glasses when someone dies, but from what I understand he was a genuinely good man.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Joe Biden on his Late Son Beau & John McCain,
his friend & political opponent.
Speaking with John's daughter Meghan,
December 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sa8G-VR13Q

Last edited by K on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:38 pm

I like the way you talk.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 am

Anyone who would select Sarah Palin as their running mate in a presidential election campaign qualifies for, at best, limited respect.

Or none at all, maybe - unless that selection decision could be directly identified as the result of disordered thinking consequent upon the pathology of his terminal illness.

I assume it can't be - so none from me.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:18 pm

McCain was certainly more flawed than I hoped and I have little time for politicians who believe they can wipe away seriously misguided decisions or actions by declaring they were wrong or are sorry at a later date.

Any intelligent and rational person should have been able to deduce that Iraq had nothing to do with the attacks on 9/11 and yet a war was started that cost countless lives, trillions of dollars and destroyed a country.

Ironically this war only fueled the threat of global terrorism and lead to the rise of ISIS.

McCain did come across as the best of a bad lot when looking at modern day Republican figures and his intelligence level alone surely would have made him a better Presidential candidate than George W Bush.

His most famous moment of defending Obama from racist comments when it would have been far easier and possibly politically beneficial to say nothing showed he had a level of decency that Donald Trump couldn't have mustered.

For mine his service and suffering in war and his long political contribution earns him respect even if you didn't often agree with his message.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: