Goddard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Goddard did well last night, get him cheap, why the hell not ?????? Least he might actually PLAY GAMES, unlike Wells, Reid. Elliott etc ??????

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:16 pm

No no no no no no no
Hell no

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:18 pm

I don’t think Goddard will wanna play for us anyway.

Dumb bastard hate him, prefer we stay away from the shit head!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:13 pm

Goddard did well last night, get him cheap, why the hell not ?????? Least he might actually PLAY GAMES, unlike Wells, Reid. Elliott etc ??????

If he played last night's game with us against Freo today, I reckon we all may have had fewer heart palpitations!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:26 pm

No way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:12 am

Has he retired?

Question is, is he in our best 22? And does he actually cover the Berg and offer leadership?

Or is he a hindrance?

All Im thinking is he wants the flag. And badly. He'd kill for it. Is it bad to have someone like that in the team? Especially if we're in the window and he fills a position for 12 months.

And yes, Ive always hated him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:08 am

He's played 300+ Games, hacks don't get to do that. If the Club wants him he will be at Collingwood. I would suggest the club has not even contemplated Goddard in our 2019 squad.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:55 am

No way.

On the footy show he was asked to analyse the coll/wc final and he likened Grundy to a dragon and that the Eagles need to cut his head off.
Really? Is he implying dirty/illegal tactics? In my book, It's barely acceptable to direct comments like that to an individual.

The guy is a flog full stop. We don't need him.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:08 am

^^^^ He's a flog, certainly, but I didn't think his comments were anything bad... I think he got the analogy wrong where you cut the head off the snake not the dragon, but I saw the point he was trying to clumsily make...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm

bally12 wrote:
No way.

On the footy show he was asked to analyse the coll/wc final and he likened Grundy to a dragon and that the Eagles need to cut his head off.
Really? Is he implying dirty/illegal tactics? In my book, It's barely acceptable to direct comments like that to an individual.

That’s a bizarre (and wrong) interpretation of his analogy. Relax.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:21 pm

bally12 wrote:
No way.

That’s a bizarre (and wrong) interpretation of his analogy. Relax.

No, Brendan is advocating for a decapitation. He's been radicalised since his retirement a week ago. Needed to fill the void left by football somehow. The question is, which Eagles player is going to carry it out 😂

All joking aside, Goddard was actually paying Grundy the hugest of compliments with a ham-fisted mixed analogy.

I was initially against recruiting him. But the more I consider it, it's not the worst idea. One year deal. He's durable at least. You know he'll play every game. A smarter decision than signing Wells to a HUGE deal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:54 pm

A joke surely.

The guy was a good player 5 yrs ago, but no longer is. Furthermore, he is a divisive individual who would do undue damage to team spirit at whatever team he went to. I suspect that's why the Bumbers have given him the boot.
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:01 pm

bally12 wrote:
No way.

Hahaha, this is by far the best reason I've ever seen to not recruit a player.

Goddard is a flog, but he meant cut the head off the snake, aka remove the leader to weaken the team. Chill dude Laughing

bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:01 am

Ok let me rephrase the main point I was trying to make.

I knew that Grundy would be identified by the opposition in the finals, as our main player to be "targeted". This is consistent historically in AFL finals with the best players. What this meant in the past is illegal tactics, taken out off the ball, kneed in the ribs etc etc.

Sure enough, Goddard pretty much said exactly this with the "cut the head of snake" line. What concerned me when he made this comment is that he didn't qualify his comments with HOW he would be taken out of the game. What tactics would be used? What would or could be done differently to stop him that wasn't done previously by the opposition?
Do you think Buckley wouldn't be concerned if an opposition coach came out and said they would be "targeting" Grundy? Absolutely he would. Something similar was happening with Cox with the arm-chopping.

Lastly I don't want to particularly continue the PC debate about phrase and sayings, but I still maintain you have to be careful to individualise when using ones with a violent meaning, especially in a game where violence is a constant factor.
When Leigh Matthews said about Essendon "if it bleeds we can kill it, and we believe Essendon bleed", that's all good. Imagine he said.."we identified James Hird as the key player...If James bleeds we can kill him, and we believe James bleeds". Not good right?
Or this one..."Adams Goodes is the key to Sydney. To win, we must cut off the head of the snake, and that's Adam Goodes". Somehow I think some people would have a problem with that. But anyway, whatever. Carry on.

We're off topic anyway. The main thing is we are not getting Goddard. It's not happening.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:58 am

yeah, nah, I still think you're overreacting. Agree with your last line though

Page 4 of 5