Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

psych business

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Police charged over alleged brutality after media expose

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/police-charged-over-alleged-brutality-after-media-expose-20180831-p5012y.html

Quote:
The Independent Broad Based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) said in a statement released late on Friday that it had charged one of the officers, a constable, with assault with a weapon and unlawful assault.

A senior constable has been charged with one count of unlawful assault, while a third policeman is expected to face criminal charges in the near future.

The officers charged were involved in an incident at Preston last September that saw disability pensioner "John" pinned down and allegedly beaten with a baton, doused in capsicum spray and blasted in the face with water from a high-pressure garden hose.

Police had gone to John's Preston home last September after his psychologist called triple zero to say she was worried about his deteriorating mental health. At one point, a police officer appears to record a video on his phone as John is sprayed with the hose.

A total of six officers were involved in the incident, but none of them reported it to the internal affairs unit or IBAC. It was revealed as part of a The Age investigation in April into problems with the force's internal oversight system, which dismisses most complaints of police misconduct.

Police initially resisted standing down the officers involved when CCTV footage of police pinning down John was first revealed.

The preceding expose, replete with video footage, from April:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/beaten-abused-humiliated-and-filmed-by-victoria-police-20180321-p4z5f2.html

Look out for the video of a cop calmly treading on his head and the one of the (same, I think) cop clubbing his leg repeatedly.

[Questions:
1) How does "John's" psychologist feel now? Angry? Guilty?? Both???
2) What can society do to prevent such abuse, short of having security cameras absolutely everywhere?
3) Can you imagine "John" in the midst of being bashed by six cops trying to (as VLA advises --- see p.1) ask them whether they are arresting him and request their names, ranks and station in writing?
4) How common is such extreme malicious behaviour?]
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:50 am

What is mental illness?

The definition given in the Mental Health Act 2014:

"(1) Subject to subsection (2), mental illness is a medical condition that is characterised by a significant disturbance of thought, mood, perception or memory.
(2) A person is not to be considered to have mental illness by reason only of any one or more of the following—"

... <long list covering beliefs, sexuality, politics, religion, race, social status, etc.> ...
"(n) that the person is or has previously been involved in family conflict;
(o) that the person has previously been treated for mental illness."

M. Eburn says:

"It should be noted that evidence of an intention to self harm or even to kill oneself is not evidence of a mental illness (Stuart v Kirkland Veenstra [2009] HCA 15; ‘the fact that a person has attempted suicide or prepared to attempt suicide is not of itself sufficient to support an inference that the person is mentally ill (French CJ at [54]); see also Gummow, Hayne and Heydon JJ at [92]-[98]; Crennan And Kiefel JJ [147]-[151]).

It’s not good faith to decide to treat someone in a way you think is good for them if they refuse that treatment and are competent to do so. It is certainly not good faith to rely on a provision in circumstances where it is not only intended not to apply but clearly on its face does not apply.

As for the assertion ‘if he walks out of hospital and in front of a truck, it’s my arse that will be on the line’ that is both wrong and unprofessional. It is wrong as personal autonomy is a key principle in the law and there is no duty to act when there is no power to act. In Stuart v Kirkland Veenstra members of Victoria police did not take a man into custody who had been sitting in his car with a pipe leading into the car from the exhaust. They spoke to the man and formed the view that he was not mentally ill ... There was no evidence of ‘significant disturbance of thought, mood, perception or memory’ and so the power under the Mental Health Act 1986 (Vic) s 10 did not come into play. ... He later went home and took his own life. The High Court agreed and set the precedent that there was no duty to act in those circumstances. The Act was to ensure those that were mentally ill and a danger to themselves received treatment, it was not a general provision to prevent a suicide, suicide being no longer illegal nor of itself, evidence of mental illness.

The Victorian Act and the Queensland Act are certainly not there to provide a salve to the emotions of paramedics by allowing them to detain people to protect their own interest or to ease the burden on an emergency unit."

https://emergencylaw.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/paramedics-and-the-mentally-ill-queensland/
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:53 am

Morally wrong?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:16 am

K wrote:
Police charged over alleged brutality after media expose

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/police-charged-over-alleged-brutality-after-media-expose-20180831-p5012y.html

Quote:
The Independent Broad Based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) said in a statement released late on Friday that it had charged one of the officers, a constable, with assault with a weapon and unlawful assault.

A senior constable has been charged with one count of unlawful assault, while a third policeman is expected to face criminal charges in the near future.

The officers charged were involved in an incident at Preston last September that saw disability pensioner "John" pinned down and allegedly beaten with a baton, doused in capsicum spray and blasted in the face with water from a high-pressure garden hose.

Police had gone to John's Preston home last September after his psychologist called triple zero to say she was worried about his deteriorating mental health. At one point, a police officer appears to record a video on his phone as John is sprayed with the hose.

A total of six officers were involved in the incident, but none of them reported it to the internal affairs unit or IBAC. It was revealed as part of a The Age investigation in April into problems with the force's internal oversight system, which dismisses most complaints of police misconduct.

Police initially resisted standing down the officers involved when CCTV footage of police pinning down John was first revealed.

The preceding expose, replete with video footage, from April:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/beaten-abused-humiliated-and-filmed-by-victoria-police-20180321-p4z5f2.html

Look out for the video of a cop calmly treading on his head and the one of the (same, I think) cop clubbing his leg repeatedly.

[Questions:
1) How does "John's" psychologist feel now? Angry? Guilty?? Both???
2) What can society do to prevent such abuse, short of having security cameras absolutely everywhere?
3) Can you imagine "John" in the midst of being bashed by six cops trying to (as VLA advises --- see p.1) ask them whether they are arresting him and request their names, ranks and station in writing?
4) How common is such extreme malicious behaviour?]

1, I’d think disgusted, outraged, sad
2, I have no idea
3, nope. Not possible.
4, that’s the scary question.

That vision is terribly terribly hard to watch. I am pretty much pro police and always always ask what did the civilian do? But there is no justification for this, just totally disgusting, and everyone of those cops should be sacked and lose their pension. It makes me incredibly sad. Can’t belive this is our back yard.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:02 am

Yep, TP. And what about the trophy photo?

"As the spray buffets his face, the lead cop – the one who capsicum-sprayed John and punched him in the back – reaches for his mobile phone and appears to activate its video camera. But before he can begin recording, the policeman spraying John’s eyes and nostrils moves to put the hose away.

The cop with the camera stops him. He wants the money shot. Grinning, he manoeuvres into position, like a wedding photographer, while his mate waits. Then the camera rolls, and once again the spray buffets John’s face."

Barbaric behaviour.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Err... This was supposed to be a link to a video of yet another incident, but the video seems to be something else... Will edit or recycle post later, perhaps...

I note the Vic Police statement on the incident says in part:

"Dedicated mental health training has been compulsory for all police recruits since 2011.

From July 2018, a baseline training package on effective communication and de-escalation tactics has been included in the bi-annual training that all police, protective service officers and police custody officers are required to complete."

But the incidents caught on camera are not the result of lack of knowledge or skills; they are the result of lack of basic respect for fellow human beings. (And, by "bi-annual", does Vic. Police mean every six months or every two years? As written, it means the former; the latter is "biennial".)
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:55 pm

watt price tully wrote:
It's a no for me regarding tattoos. Personally I generally find them hideous. If others want to wear them then that's fine by me, their choice. ...

K wrote:
^ WPT, what are your opinions on your colleagues, up or down (or sideways) in authority or experience, noting tattoos on their written orders, reports, etc.? Are there any debates about the relevance (or potential harm) of doing so? Are there any written policies on this matter?

(This question applies much more generally, of course, than just to tattoos...)

watt price tully wrote:
K, I think thats' for VPT not general discussion.

Yes, VPT... though in my defence I note that I did not start tattoo discussions in GD. I am sticking the question in this thread.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Not sure what this is about, but the question of wether tattoos should be on reports, they are a bloody good way of identifying people! And isn’t that what police do with most reports? Make sure it’s the right suspect, patient, person?
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:34 pm

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
It's a no for me regarding tattoos. Personally I generally find them hideous. If others want to wear them then that's fine by me, their choice. ...

K wrote:
^ WPT, what are your opinions on your colleagues, up or down (or sideways) in authority or experience, noting tattoos on their written orders, reports, etc.? Are there any debates about the relevance (or potential harm) of doing so? Are there any written policies on this matter?

(This question applies much more generally, of course, than just to tattoos...)

watt price tully wrote:
K, I think thats' for VPT not general discussion.

Yes, VPT... though in my defence I note that I did not start tattoo discussions in GD. I am sticking the question in this thread.

You mightn't have started it but you took it (or attempted to) from just general chat about getting a Collingwood tattoo to noting tattoos on reports, written policies, debates, blah blah blah.
Don't have to go deep with everything.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:58 pm

^ I already agreed previously that it is a VPT question. I therefore put it in what seems a suitable VPT thread.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:04 pm

think positive wrote:
Not sure what this is about, but the question of whether tattoos should be on reports, they are a bloody good way of identifying people! And isn’t that what police do with most reports? Make sure it’s the right suspect, patient, person?

TP, the question that came to mind was not about police suspect identification, but about mental health professionals noting this and other aspects of external appearance with the implication that it is relevant to medical diagnosis. Can you really use the presence of a tattoo (for example), along with other factors, to make judgements about what mental health condition the patient has? That's the issue.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:37 am

Productivity Commission to examine mental health spending in wake of suicide crisis

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/productivity-commission-to-examine-mental-health-spending-in-wake-of-suicide-crisis-20181006-p50850.html

Quote:
The Productivity Commission will undertake a major inquiry into the role of mental health in the economy as the Morrison government looks to extract better value from the $9 billion a year spent on mental wellbeing.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg and Health Minister Greg Hunt have asked the commission to examine "whether the current investment in mental health is delivering value for money", as well as how to improve economic and social participation for people struggling with their mental health.

Australia's suicide rate spiked last year to 3128 deaths - 262 more than in 2016. It was the equal-highest rate seen in the past 10 years, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Men accounted for three-quarters of deaths by intentional self-harm.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:43 am

A little bit off the main topic, but...

School students' private medical details leaked in privacy breach

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/students-private-medical-details-leaked-in-privacy-breach-20181012-p509dr.html

Quote:
It lists students' mental health issues and also reveals which students have been expelled from previous schools and are in out-of-home care.

One file states: "behaviour can become erratic first thing in the morning ... ensure he has taken his medication... document any odd behaviours".

Another describes a student as "argumentative" and says he will not follow instructions.

One child's photo is accompanied with the words "anger, aggression and non-compliance".

"Mixing with the 'wrong' group of kids. Is smoking and drinking outside of school," another entry reads.

A similar incident occurred at Strathmore Secondary College earlier this year, with sensitive details about hundreds of student’s medical conditions accidentally uploaded onto the school intranet. One child was described as having an “extremely low IQ”.

Breach aside, some of those quotes make one go Shocked .

"Extemely low IQ"? Did they test it? If they did, why not just record the score (and average score, if they must)?

"Ensure he has taken his medication"? Who should ensure it: the teacher (who is no health professional, but may indeed enjoy the child being sedated to a zombie state)??

Are all these things really "medical details", or are they medicalising things like "mixing with the wrong kids"?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:06 am

They were plainly confidential observations. It’s the newspaper that went with the “medical” tag.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 am

Yeah the only thing wrong here is the records being leaked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: