Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2018 Nathan Buckley Debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us had reason to question if Bucks would get there and produce the results that the team have this season.
There are a few who then didn't have the depth of perspective to see some opportunity and upside for Bucks and his coaching reign to produce this sort of result.
Some of those then won't have the depth of perspective to admit they were wrong either.

Let's enjoy the success and feel good for Bucks and the players, who are similarly enjoying it.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:41 pm

^ agreed, redlight. It was a situation where uncertainty was justified. In uncertainty there are 3 positions you can reasonably take :
1. Insist that there is no uncertainty and only one right course of action- the wrong one. Then insist you were right all along despite the evidence.
2. Accept that it’s not clear, acknowledge that there are several ways to see it, and make a decision which seems in hindsight to be the wrong one
3. Accept it’s not clear, and make the decision that seems the right one.

It’s the first camp that might TAGHLAT. But they are the ones who rarely do.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:41 pm

^ agreed, redlight. It was a situation where uncertainty was justified. In uncertainty there are 3 positions you can reasonably take :
1. Insist that there is no uncertainty and only one right course of action- the wrong one. Then insist you were right all along despite the evidence.
2. Accept that it’s not clear, acknowledge that there are several ways to see it, and make a decision which seems in hindsight to be the wrong one
3. Accept it’s not clear, and make the decision that seems the right one.

It’s the first camp that might TAGHLAT. But they are the ones who rarely do.

The second group might reflect on whether they would change their weightings in making decisions the next time.,

The third are entitled to quiet satisfaction in this case, while reflecting that they have probably been in group 2 in the past, and doubtless will be again in future.

Last edited by Mugwump on Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:22 pm

Interesting on AFL 360 Robbo said in a interview on Sunday Eddie stated openly at the beginning of the review he thought Buckley wouldn't be coaching at Collingwood in 2018
Eddie went as far as saying he honestly believed that the review would finish his career as coach at Collingwood and his presidency at the same time
Eddie then (and it's as reported by Robbo and I'm summarising it) the deeper than dug into it the more they learned about many aspects they had thought were fine at the club but were far from that
If anything to me the review may have served to open the coaches eyes that he personally doesn't have all the answers and some times others may have the correct answer
I remember vividly stating when Buckley was appointed coach (and I've said it many times since) my biggest concern with Buckley was never his footy smarts but could Buckley the single minded self absorbed footy tragic be able to deal with players who didn't have the same absolute commitment to the game like he did. It was well known he had many of his team mates offside during his playing career with his narrow mindedness as seen by team mates.
How would that transfer to someone like a Swan who is self admitted terrible trainer and would have owed the club money fi they fined him for eating maccas or kfc when he shouldn't have.
Maybe now Buckley understands more about himself and his players and we are seeing the fruit of that
I commend anyone in any pursuit of high level coaching or any position in the business world who can change there own personal traits to be a more even based person for the betterment of any organisation
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:29 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Interesting on AFL 360 Robbo said in a interview on Sunday Eddie stated openly at the beginning of the review he thought Buckley wouldn't be coaching at Collingwood in 2018
Eddie went as far as saying he honestly believed that the review would finish his career as coach at Collingwood and his presidency at the same time
Eddie then (and it's as reported by Robbo and I'm summarising it) the deeper than dug into it the more they learned about many aspects they had thought were fine at the club but were far from that
If anything to me the review may have served to open the coaches eyes that he personally doesn't have all the answers and some times others may have the correct answer
I remember vividly stating when Buckley was appointed coach (and I've said it many times since) my biggest concern with Buckley was never his footy smarts but could Buckley the single minded self absorbed footy tragic be able to deal with players who didn't have the same absolute commitment to the game like he did. It was well known he had many of his team mates offside during his playing career with his narrow mindedness as seen by team mates.
How would that transfer to someone like a Swan who is self admitted terrible trainer and would have owed the club money fi they fined him for eating maccas or kfc when he shouldn't have.
Maybe now Buckley understands more about himself and his players and we are seeing the fruit of that
I commend anyone in any pursuit of high level coaching or any position in the business world who can change there own personal traits to be a more even based person for the betterment of any organisation

stands and applauds

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:38 pm

To further the debate I pose the following question

If making finals this season was a "pass" mark for the coach then does a top 4 or top 2 finish mean he has over achieved ?
If he has over achieved is he entitled to a 1 year extension ?
If he wins 1 or 2 finals games with a injury ravaged squad does he get a 2 year extension ?
If the planets align and everything fell our way next weekend and we made the big dance does he get a extension of his choosing (meaning more than 2 years) ?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:51 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
To further the debate I pose the following question

If making finals this season was a "pass" mark for the coach then does a top 4 or top 2 finish mean he has over achieved ?
If he has over achieved is he entitled to a 1 year extension ?
If he wins 1 or 2 finals games with a injury ravaged squad does he get a 2 year extension ?
If the planets align and everything fell our way next weekend and we made the big dance does he get a extension of his choosing (meaning more than 2 years) ?

He has a current contract. He has overachieved against the pass mark but not against the expectation on a highly paid senior coach, which is to play in premierships.

On present indications, when his contract comes up end 2019 he’ll get another two years, maybe 3 with a premiership.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:48 am

Finished top 4 at the end of the home and away season.

I thought we'd struggle to make the 8 so it's a remarkable upward trajectory we've witnessed this season.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:51 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:

To be honest, I'm not convinced such statements have any real meaning. (And, as I've said before, alarm bells start ringing when they start talking about their children... But that's another thing.)
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:12 am

I like Buckley, I think he should stay!

What a $£$%^%%$ ride!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: