Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2018 Nathan Buckley Debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I've been a true believer all along. Just hearing Bucks speak, his footy intelligence and commitment to the cause always stood out to me. Like others, however, I was beginning to think that the footy Gods had cursed him with our injury toll, year after year.

I picked us to finish 5th this year, so even I have been super impressed with what Bucks has achieved, especially given our worst ever year for injuries.

To me Bucks is already coach of the year. If we manage to pull off the Flag this year, he should have a statue built in his honour and given a 5 yr contract extension. Overall, I feel honoured that Bucks is our coach, as he has so much class and character.

you sure were! I chucked in the towel 2 seasons ago, early in the year, and i am more than happy to gain a couple of humble pie kgs! oh wait i already did! im still in shock, its like a dream, this season, who saw it coming? really,? just wow, what a ride!!

in saying that i have barely missed a live game in 10 years, so damn this feels good!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:31 pm

At the bye in 2017 I was in the Buckley must go camp. I just was t seeing anything to make me feel like we were heading in the right direction in any facet of the game
The last 6 weeks of 2017 I was happy if he got a renewal based on our performances that had been occurring.
I was also in the csmp that if the review was to be meaningful there had to be changes to the assistants as well.
I'm pleased now I was WRONG on the Buckley front.
For whatever reason be it a change in focus or plan or whatever the team just keeps turning up each and every week.
Right now if you were being fair and truthful with yourself we shouldn't be sitting in such a high ladder position given the injury toll we've had.
But every player who's come in has at a minimum done a fair job.
It makes you wonder and ponder this theory of "plug and play"
It was the talk of the town with the Hawks for years. Didn't matter who went out they plugged in another player and the plan just kept going

Rude I always appreciated your unwavering support of bucks and you've been proven right and I'm pleased to admit that I was wrong and you my friend were correct
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:40 pm

I'd hoped that we would make finals this year but even ore, that we would start playing quality, entertaining footy. After the round 1 debacle I'd almost lost hope and even with the honourable loss against GWS, I'd started to agree with the doomsayers around the place.

But gee they've repaid us this year. Yeah, one way of doing it is going 21-1 and winning the flag but the never-say-die effort this year, in the face of mounting, even overwhelming injuries, has been no less enjoyable. These guys just find new ways to impress us.

Most of all, we're playing with belief. Belief in our own abilities and belief in our teammates and "our way". Sure enough, the improved skills that we are seeing now have emerged from all of that. God I love watching my boys play and next year, if we keep improving (as we should) I'm going to enjoy watching the rest of the league face us with dread.

Rebuilds take time. Especially when you don't nail all your picks first up. But those ones that seemed to be going bust are starting to come good. And the others that had started OK are only getting better. Here's to hoping that this version that Hine and Buckley have been building can give us many years of success
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Next year will show if he can coach, this year he has gotten the team into finals on the back of the softest draw you could ever get (and to think some fools said it was tough...) but next year won't be any double ups against bottom 6 sides and will be playing more top sides twice, so will need to have a massive turnaround to get anywhere near finals in 2019.

So it will show was this a fluke due to a soft draw or is something building and he has finally learnt something after 7 years, like recruiting some assistant coaches to do all the work
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:43 pm

I've put my torch and pitchforks away for the time being... as far as I'm concerned 'the systems' we've now put in place are playing dividends. It's not always about one man, and as I've said before several times... it was nothing personal - my 'up until this year' concerns have been justified by results.

Move along, nothing to see.

Last edited by The Boy Who Cried Wolf on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:43 pm

Nobody gets a side to top four by Rd 22, with a very hefty injury list involving mostly elite players, in a pretty even competition, if they cannot coach. Scraping in at 7-8, maybe. You’re scraping the bottom of the barrel, Eddie.

It might get harder in 2019, but the facts are facts. Either Buckley or Hardwick will be the AA coach selected by unbiased observers.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:48 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
I've put my torch and pitchforks away for the time being... as far as I'm concerned 'the systems' we've now put in place are playing dividends. It's not always about one man, and as I've said before several times... it was nothing personal - my 'up until this year' concerns have been justified by results.

“I was right about this all the way up until it was proved I was wrong ...”. !!! Laughing

We had many stoushes on this subject through the bitter years, but it’s obvious you’re a Collingwood person who wanted the best as he saw it. Still, I reckon a wise man might draw a lesson or two from the story... Wink

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:56 pm

Mugwump wrote:

“I was right about this all the way up until it was proved I was wrong ...”. !!! Laughing

We had many stoushes on this subject through the bitter years, but it’s obvious you’re a Collingwood person who wanted the best as he saw it. Still, I reckon a wise man might draw a lesson or two from the story... Wink

Well I certainly don't feel like I was proven wrong... any other professional sporting club in the world he would have been fired - we all know this.

No one ever said he didn't know anything about football, but putting that knowledge into a tangible force and getting your ideas across are another thing entirely - and he's finally got a bit of help this year it seems so in what ever capacity that is I can't say cause I'm not there...? But whatever it is, it now seems to be working... and if it ain't broke... well you know the rest of that saying.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:57 pm

KM hasn't shown up since we showed improvement last year I think. After his blitzkreig for a number of years I wouldn't be surprised if he has assumed another persona...

For mine, I called for an end to everything in April I think, finally snapping after the round one debacle to the Hawks which seemed to me and many others to be a continuation of the 5 years of bs at the selection table, game plan and pain we had endured.

Very, very happy to be wrong, continually amazed at our resilience as a playing group and loving being able to trust my team to win the ones they should.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:10 pm

It would be nice if a few people could swallow their pride and congratulate Bucks for what he has achieved this year, under extremely trying conditions. He is most certainly coach of the year in my book and I think all true Collingwood supporters should congratulate and thank Bucks for his incredible achievement in getting us back into the finals and most likely a top 4 spot.

Just as John Howard couldn't bring himself to say 'sorry' it seems too many Nicksters can't bring themselves to say 'thank you Nathan'.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:11 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Well I certainly don't feel like I was proven wrong... any other professional sporting club in the world he would have been fired - we all know this.

No one ever said he didn't know anything about football, but putting that knowledge into a tangible force and getting your ideas across are another thing entirely - and he's finally got a bit of help this year it seems so in what ever capacity that is I can't say cause I'm not there...? But whatever it is, it now seems to be working... and if it ain't broke... well you know the rest of that saying.

I don’t want to open old wounds, and I’m happy to be celebrating the progress with you now. I don’t agree with you that he’d be sacked at any other professional sporting club, though.

Across 2010-2016 inclusive, Hardwick managed to scrape one Elimination final in seven years, in which he was bundled out against Carlton. By comparison, NB’s missing finals in four years doesn’t seem that bad. I think the successful professional teams in an equalized competition with a draft have to show patience. It’s different in the EPL where money can buy you success on day 1. No doubt Buckley had things to learn, I agree with that, but it was always right to stick with him through a rebuild.

Anyway, peace, brother. You can have the last say on it, and good luck to you. Well both sing the song whenever we get a chance from here.

Last edited by Mugwump on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Cam wrote:
KM hasn't shown up since we showed improvement last year I think. After his blitzkreig for a number of years I wouldn't be surprised if he has assumed another persona...

For mine, I called for an end to everything in April I think, finally snapping after the round one debacle to the Hawks which seemed to me and many others to be a continuation of the 5 years of bs at the selection table, game plan and pain we had endured.

Very, very happy to be wrong, continually amazed at our resilience as a playing group and loving being able to trust my team to win the ones they should.

I'm with you cam - although perhaps I didn't air my dirty laundry online...... in fact I supported bux probably because of my black and white heart .....when in fact my head said otherwise .... And I was certainly internally in that negative head space after our initial start.

I guess at least I didn't have to eat too many words but I'll eat them all the same anyway. And not just because we sit in the top 4.I eat my words because we have been decimated by injury and sit in the top 4. That's a testimate to our coaching panel, game plan and game day structures.....and a bunch of gutsy young pies who have been all heart.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It would be nice if a few people could swallow their pride and congratulate Bucks for what he has achieved this year, under extremely trying conditions. He is most certainly coach of the year in my book and I think all true Collingwood supporters should congratulate and thank Bucks for his incredible achievement in getting us back into the finals and most likely a top 4 spot.

Just as John Howard couldn't bring himself to say 'sorry' it seems too many Nicksters can't bring themselves to say 'thank you Nathan'.

I suppose it depends where you set the bar, RB, as to whether or not you think anything has been "achieved this year". We're certainly less hopeless than we were during the previous 4 but is that the measure of "incredible achievement"?
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:48 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I suppose it depends where you set the bar, RB, as to whether or not you think anything has been "achieved this year". We're certainly less hopeless than we were during the previous 4 but is that the measure of "incredible achievement"?

Oh my God! Now I've heard it all.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:49 pm
Post subject: Re: The 2018 Nathan Buckley DebateReply with quote

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Not sure why we haven't had one this year after having a part 1 and 2 in 2017?

Especially look forward to contributions from Krakouer Magic, Thompsoc and Beast, to name a few.

Not looking for a shit fight. I'm genuinely curious to see if the people, who so passionately wanted him gone, have changed their view?

And yet one is what you'll probably start. Sad. I was looking forward to an early night...

FYI, there is a reason why one of those individuals no longer frequents this establishment. And it has nothing to do with pride...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: