Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies lash Lions - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckley's Press Conference:

[Question cut off]
Quote:
"We knew that Brisbane's offensive patterns have been really consistent and really effective and they showed that in the first quarter. We didn't use the ball well in the back half so the limited times we got it inside 50 we scored. We just reinforced the plan we went in with and we clearly executed it a lot better after quarter time. A lot of that was our use in the back 50".

Brayden Sier has taken another step tonight. Looks like he's got something?
Quote:
"Yeah, he always seems to have time which is handy in the game and makes good decisions. I think he plays with penetration. He looks long, he lifts his eyes and looks long and finds that damaging option down the field. He's really clean with his hands inside. We missed him and it was good to have him back in the side".

Is that where you felt you got the ascendency back by winning those centre clearances and getting some inside 50s obviously?
Quote:
"Yeah, stoppage was strong for us through the whole night. Brisbane have been a pretty good stoppage side through the year so it was going to be a challenge for us. I thought we were just more composed with the ball after quarter time. We just found the free player. We weren't given the first give early in the first quarter. We found the free player. We were able to get deep inside our front half and I think we defended as good as we have for a while in that last three quarters. As I said, we rate Brisbane's offence. They have averaged 100 points in the last five weeks and they only had 11 shots on goal after quarter time so we were very happy with our defensive mechanisms".

De Goey worked his way into the game and proved again what sort of dangerous weapon he can be for you inside 50?
Quote:
"Yeah, and there might have been a little bit of blowing the few cobwebs out early in the game. He didn't have a lot of supply in the first quarter. He's a dangerous matchup. I thought Robertson actually played him pretty well in his 1-on-1s. He got him on the lead a few times and took his chances. I thought the matchup was pretty even for the number of contests that they found themselves 1-on-1. Seven shots on goal is a pretty good effort".

Is De Goey finishing on the bench just precautionary?
Quote:
"Yep"

Did you learn a great deal from the last time you played them, or more so over the last 4 or 5 weeks where they've scored heavily?
Quote:
"A little bit of both because they were able to get through us in round 7 I think it was. Kicked over 100 points. It's fair to say that we're a defensive side and we focus a lot on the way we defend and where we defend. It was a clear focus for us after the round 7 game and also seeing Brisbane's recent form. They ask some questions of sides defensively and we were pleased to be able to answer them. As I said, I think we took a step forward with that even from the last couple of weeks".

You were obviously undersized in defence. How did you see that given that they have a couple of tall forwards?
Quote:
"It was something we were able to get done. I thought Langdon stood up. Jack [Madgen] in his second game was able to win enough contests. We were able to slow the ball up a little more after quarter time which at least gave our defenders the chance to support each other. I think it was pretty clear that they were using McInerney and Hipwood as release targets at times. They do shift angles and force you to defend uncontested marks in their back half but they had that long down the line option as well and I thought we were able to balance up defending both of those pretty well and our backs stood up".

Are you expecting Jeremy Howe to play next week?
Quote:
"We hope so. He was not fit to play this week. He's still got a bit of work to do, but we'd love to him back but we don't know right now".

Ben Reid was hurt in the VFL today. Do you have an update on that?
Quote:
"Yep. I think he's torn the same calf that he tore 10 weeks ago so not a good situation for Reidy to be in".

What did you make of Levi Greenwood's performance?
Quote:
"He was huge. Zorko had 34 and kicked 4 against us in round 7 so that was a really important role. It wasn't just on Zorko, I thought his pressure around the clinches was back to his best. Some of his tackle efforts and pressure on the opposition whether it was Zorko or another Brisbane Lions player really set the tone. I thought his performance was disciplined and consistent".

Would you be disappointed if Jaidyn Stephenson didn't win the Rising Star?
Quote:
"Yeah, I would be disappointed. I reckon every coach would be disappointed if their prospect was in the mix and didn't win it. That was his highest possession game. He played up the field a bit more with Jordy [De Goey] in that striking role and still kicked a couple of goals himself. He's just continued to find levels that he's been asked to. You get worked out a little bit early in your career; you come in with strengths and then the opposition have a little bit more of a look at you and they try and work you out. I think Jaidyn has been able to take strides through a couple of those stages throughout the year and continually impact for us".

I think he's played every game this year. How does he do that?
Quote:
"What you do is play the first game and then you play the second and then you end up playing right through this round mate [*laughs*]. No, we thought we would have to manage him through the year and we have off probably through the week. The mid-season bye helps. He just keeps backing up. If he has a quiet one, he generally pops up the next week and comes back to norm".

You have 13 wins now, so that should get you into the 8 but it doesn't lock you in completely. However, this time last year a lot of people would have thought you wouldn't make the 8 and people saying you shouldn't be the coach. How much do you think you've improved since then or do you think the whole squad has come together and bought in in the right way?
Quote:
"Clearly we've improved. There's still work to do this year. We neither reflecting too far back or too far forward. I think the strength of the group is we've just focused on the things that we can control. Focused on the things that we can influence. There's plenty of narrative in the past or even in the present about the group. In the end, the only thing that is really important for us is what we do. There's some things that we really want to focus on and get right and that defensive element is important for us and will continue to try and find that competitive advantage that we think we have and we want to milk that for all it's worth. The narratives can look after itself. The stories externally can look after itself. We just to need look after our own backyard and keep performing".

Is Adam Treloar in your ear most days telling you he'll be back in a couple of weeks?
Quote:
"Not yet".

When do you expect that to come?
Quote:
"The sooner the better [laughs*]. He's doing some good things. There's enough time and for every win we get we give him a little bit more time. When we've got some solid info on that you'll get it, but there's nothing really solid at the moment".

Is there enough time for Tyson Goldsack?
Quote:
"Yeah, I hope so. The fact is that for an ACL return you want everything going your way. He's had the impingement in his back the last couple of weeks so he hasn't done a lot in the last 10 days, 12 days. It is a question that is going to set him back. But once again, a week is a long time so we'll see how he pans out this week".

Just to clarify with Howe, it's not the concussion that's keeping him out?
Quote:
"No. He had a bleed from a cork. We're trying to manage that and trying to get that down and get him back to full range so he can be fit to play. He's a pretty tough unit Howie to so when he's thereabouts he'll play and hopefully it's next week".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-08-11/buckley-reflects-post-lions

Last edited by Jezza on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 am

A few thoughts after the satisfying win:

JDG: I literally don’t know what we would have done without him as a forward target

Langdon: I think I finally get why opinion is so divided on him... every game he does some great things and some terrible things. So whether you love him or hate him there’s always something to suppport your viewpoint

Varcoe: who wanted him dropped?

Mayne: best game in b&w and only a fool would think otherwise

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:41 am

It was a bit of a strwnge game in some ways
The lions came out hard and didn't punish us in the scoreboard. Had they taken there chsnces in the first term who knows how things may have gone
We reset well in the second and got things back on our terms
The third we killed them in every facet of the game on the back of Grundy taking full control of the ruck and Adams Seir completely dominating the contests
The 4th was a bit of going through the motions.
Given how small our defence was it held up decent but every time the ball went in with Hipwood 1 on 1 it was scared. That kid will be a star in a couple years.
Listened to Fagan on ABC radio and he said they went away from there plan to isolate Hipwood deep leading up. He said there other forwards took our defenders to the contest instead of away from it which hurt there plans. He said pre match they identified we would be under sized in defence and that giving Hipwood space to exploit that was a key. Langdon was never a good match up on (but we didn't have a better one in all fairness) him given he was out sized by about 3 inches and it showed when he got isolated on him without help around. Hipwood was to quick too tall and too skilled. Overall Langdon did OK especially given the inexpernce around him height wise. I gave him a spray in the 4th when he let Hipwood just walk into goal after marking it on a tight angle. There the brain farts that frustrate everyone. But in fairness keeping Hipwood to 4 goals wasn't a bad effort. Madgen did well but Crisp and Maynard were awesome in defence. They showed real leadership down back especially Crisp who's last few weeks have been great
If Grundy doesn't win the copeland by the length of the Flemington straight then it has no credibility left. When he lifts he takes everyone with him. He's like having a extra mid just one that's 6ft 8" and doesn't know he shouldn't be so good at ground level.
Pendles controlled the midfield well but Adams really showed true leadership from the second term onwards. He and Seir bullied the lions out of the contest
Sidey lead young Raynor around the ground taking him away from contests smartly and could have hurt him more had he kicked a couple he had the chance too. Raynor had been huge for them the past few weeks and is a highly talented kid but he had his colours lowered yesterday by a experienced player who understands his game well
Overall the 4 points is what mattered
Apparently port copped a few telling injuries yesterday which hopefully last at least a week so we can cement a top 4 spot.
GWS mightn't have 22 blokes to field next week. Heater did a knee (not ACL thankfully) but he's 6 weeks at best so the top 4 opens up for us if we win our last 2 games
Hopefully Howe back next week with Oxley going out. He was very ordinary yesterday and honestly that shouldend his afl career at this club. He isn't a afl player
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:17 am

doriswilgus wrote:
What a great win.We looked gone for all money in the first quarter,so it was great that they were able to come back and win,especially with so many players out.And unlike some,i'm not going to knock any of the players tonight.They all played their guts out,and they all deserve the credit for the win.

Ditto

But Greenwod Mayne and Sier are all better than we ever thought
I loved it when Levi kept giving it to that little twerp zorko all night

We should have been at least 5 down at quarter time but to get that result is one of our best wins of the year

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:54 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
A few thoughts after a the satisfying win:

JDG: I literally don’t know what we would have done without him as a forward target

Langdon: I think I finally get why opinion is so divided on him... every game he does some great things and some terrible things. So whether you love him or hate him there’s always something to suppport your viewpoint

Varcoe: who wanted him dropped?

Mayne: best game in b&w and he must have £$%$ed your mum if you think otherwise

Hehehe spot on

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:04 am

Ventured to that Stadium with my Son and my Future daughter in law and her Mother. Two Australian males with two American females, it was going to be fun considering we were at a bar earlier for a feed and drinks and two pot screamers is a good description of Erika and her Mother. It wasn't the greatest of first quarters to try to explain our game but we got there. Had a great night and had them screaming USA USA. My thoughts on the game, we seriously have a makeshift backline. Whenever the ball went forward for Brisbane I basically thought they would score. Once we controlled the centre of the ground that was the end of the game it was ours. We were the better team all game we just missed easy goals in the first half. Well we have two new recruits.

Take the win, we need Howe back.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am

The Average Tourist wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
What a great win.We looked gone for all money in the first quarter,so it was great that they were able to come back and win,especially with so many players out.And unlike some,i'm not going to knock any of the players tonight.They all played their guts out,and they all deserve the credit for the win.

Ditto

But Greenwod Mayne and Sier are all better than we ever thought
I loved it when Levi kept giving it to that little twerp zorko all night

We should have been at least 5 down at quarter time but to get that result is one of our best wins of the year

Agree. And Langdon abd the defence were incredible given the height difference they were giving away. I honestly can’t believe anyone cherry picking the errors of Langdon or anyone else in the last couple of weeks. And having to work so hard and smart will only enhance their games going forward. So much to love.

I knew Langdon getting left behind and then walking off would get mentioned. Every single week at least once the square is vacant and a goal gets through. Langdon played it smart and didn’t waste energy in a futile chase. There was no way he could stop that goal. Be so nice if just one season one player didn’t get chosen for a witch hunt.

Varcoe, welcome back, ageless last night, so much fight.

DeGoey, de Gun! Wow just WOW.

Pendles, another solid captains game. I was wrong.

Brodie 1 and 2, 1 in particular just awesome, 2 really making the most of his opportunity.

Stephenson, just hand him the rising star already, we should riot if he doesn’t win.

I walked away a little flat and very fricken cold, that place is a giant ice bucket! Can’t wait to hit the g next week, it’s so good to be excited and nervous this year!

Thanks Jezza for bucks presser.

And guys spare a thought for Heath Shaw, must be bad for him to be on a stretcher. Man I miss his wonky run and larrikin grin. Cheers Go Pies

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
It was a bit of a strwnge game in some ways
The lions came out hard and didn't punish us in the scoreboard. Had they taken there chsnces in the first term who knows how things may have gone
We reset well in the second and got things back on our terms
The third we killed them in every facet of the game on the back of Grundy taking full control of the ruck and Adams Seir completely dominating the contests
The 4th was a bit of going through the motions.
Given how small our defence was it held up decent but every time the ball went in with Hipwood 1 on 1 it was scared. That kid will be a star in a couple years.
Listened to Fagan on ABC radio and he said they went away from there plan to isolate Hipwood deep leading up. He said there other forwards took our defenders to the contest instead of away from it which hurt there plans. He said pre match they identified we would be under sized in defence and that giving Hipwood space to exploit that was a key. Langdon was never a good match up on (but we didn't have a better one in all fairness) him given he was out sized by about 3 inches and it showed when he got isolated on him without help around. Hipwood was to quick too tall and too skilled. Overall Langdon did OK especially given the inexpernce around him height wise. I gave him a spray in the 4th when he let Hipwood just walk into goal after marking it on a tight angle. There the brain farts that frustrate everyone. But in fairness keeping Hipwood to 4 goals wasn't a bad effort. Madgen did well but Crisp and Maynard were awesome in defence. They showed real leadership down back especially Crisp who's last few weeks have been great
If Grundy doesn't win the copeland by the length of the Flemington straight then it has no credibility left. When he lifts he takes everyone with him. He's like having a extra mid just one that's 6ft 8" and doesn't know he shouldn't be so good at ground level.
Pendles controlled the midfield well but Adams really showed true leadership from the second term onwards. He and Seir bullied the lions out of the contest
Sidey lead young Raynor around the ground taking him away from contests smartly and could have hurt him more had he kicked a couple he had the chance too. Raynor had been huge for them the past few weeks and is a highly talented kid but he had his colours lowered yesterday by a experienced player who understands his game well
Overall the 4 points is what mattered
Apparently port copped a few telling injuries yesterday which hopefully last at least a week so we can cement a top 4 spot.
GWS mightn't have 22 blokes to field next week. Heater did a knee (not ACL thankfully) but he's 6 weeks at best so the top 4 opens up for us if we win our last 2 games
Hopefully Howe back next week with Oxley going out. He was very ordinary yesterday and honestly that should end his afl career at this club. He isn't a afl player

And keeping him to 3 was an even better effort, especially since only one of the goals was actually kicked on Tommy before the last one, when the game was finished.

As for Oxley, I think the best that can be said is that he prevented McLarty from getting injured last night.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:50 am

Great weekend guys (apart from Heater being on a stretcher). Port Melbourne are a great club with a proud history. To keep them out with the ball in our back half for the last 15 minutes in the wet was a fabulous effort. We have 3-4 guys playing VFL who we could rookie next year.

Then to last night, our backline was sliced through like butter in the first 15 minutes. We don't panic. We have injuries but our leadership on the ground remains intact. We reset , our backline tightens up and despite the advantage of height that Brisbane has on their forward line they're unable to break through except for momental flashes of play for the rest of the night.

Great even performance by the team. Even Oxley was ok for his first up game of the season. If he stays in the team he'll improve, but I'm tempted to think that given the way McLarty played against Port, McLarty finally deserves his chance to play seniors.

Greenwood was in my best. He destroyed Zorko who has been a thorn in our side for years. Adams destroyed every other player who got in our way and Sidey took care of the only player who could possibly challenge Stephenson for the rising star award.

Wonderful watching an ex-Collingwood player with sublime football skills executing a master class against us last night and doing zero damage.

We got one back on Allister Clarkson last night. We can't beat his football team but we can gloat that he got rid of Hodgey two years too early.

Thankfully no more injuries last night. The only downside is that Langdon won't get his hair cut.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:43 am

FYI - Stevo about to be interviewed on Game Day on Chan 7 (in Melb anyway) in a few minutes.
Nearly 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
And must also mention Levi Greenwood. Thought he played his role brilliantly tonight. Greenwood is a fantastic tagger, and Bucks should use him more often in this role.

My guess is he will, as a means of helping out our ridiculously undermanned defence. They will only be able to continue to hold up if we can limit the quantity and quality of opposition inside 50s.

Tagging the opposition main playmaker is more critical now. The cost/benefit equation has changed.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Given where the Lions feature on the ladder, on paper it looked like an easy win, we overcame out initial shit stumble in the first & thank God we over took them, just like I knew we would.

But yeah, after 5yrs hiatus, I'm liking the smell of September once again people, start getting excited!
We may not go deep into September this year but 2019 & beyond is not out of reach!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:23 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
News we didn't want to hear 😞: "I think he's torn the same calf he tore 10 weeks ago. It's not a good situation for Reidy." #FOREVER https://t.co/ilufZjyBUl

Reid = Finished and shows how stupid Re-Signing him was

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:19 pm

A really fantastic effort. For the second week in a row we held a team to 73 points despite a decimated defence. In this case a team who'd averaged 100 over the past 5 weeks. This is more about pressure up the field than the performance of our defensive line, our defenders were good but whenever we've allowed clean ball they've struggled (3rd Q against the Swans). It's our defensive structures and team effort that has been the winner this past fortnight, completely shutting down the opposition ball movement.

Defensive effort was the headliner, this week though (unlike last) we were also able to generate enough forward ball (last week we scored well but just did not get it there enough). This was thanks largely to the return of De Goey, he was a threat all night and also allowed Stephenson to play further up field and give us some drive. Sier's career best game coupled with Adams continuing his excellent form saw us get on top in the middle. Grundy was a little down this week but did build his influence as the game went on. Sidebottom was one of our best, especially for a number of deft touches which allowed us to move the ball forward through traffic.

There are advantages to this small defensive line, it encourages the opposition to go tall which is almost always a mistake. The Lions had Hipwood (203cm), McInernay (205cm), Walker (197cm) and also gave McStay (195cm) playing forward minutes. Incredibly dumb. It looks good to have talls, especially against a small defence, but unless they're really good they'll be a liability as the game goes on. None of the Lions talls are yet really good so were never likely to decide the game, they ended up with 5 goals between the 4 of them, hardly a threatening return.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Was anyone else worried by the sight of De Goey with ice strapped to his shin at the end of the game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: