Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Immigration

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting unit, Anning

68 year old, grew up as a grazier now owns pubs in QLD, went to Ag College (doubt they prioritised the Holocaust over how to reverse a tractor there) and introduced a private members bill to make it easier for women to get Mace and tasers for self defence.

Pretty much old school country member.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:22 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/fraser-anning-achieves-what-he-deserves-denunciation-from-the-ages-20180815-p4zxm3.html
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Interesting unit, Anning

68 year old, grew up as a grazier now owns pubs in QLD, went to Ag College (doubt they prioritised the Holocaust over how to reverse a tractor there) and introduced a private members bill to make it easier for women to get Mace and tasers for self defence.

Pretty much old school country member.

Yep, suspect he’s guilty of being away the day they did history in secondary school. His ignorance was a bit of a gift to the multicultural immigrate-your-way-to-happiness zealots, though.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:15 pm

David wrote:
It is tiring that this sort of stuff has become so normalised. Fancy calling for a return to race-based immigration policy, like, ten years ago. We all just shrug at it now. And the Overton Window moves ever slowly rightward.

Since that window has been moving steadily leftward on everything except economics for 50 years, it’ll probably survive a nudge.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Perhaps he did miss it:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-15/fraser-anning-history-of-the-nazi-phrase-final-solution/10122812
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:45 pm

I do think that all parliamentarians ought to have a well-above average knowledge of history and the Constitution, by passing a test prior to an election, and attending classes if they fail. We would not select anyone for a job without the basic qualifications in any other field of endeavor.

I don’t think he realised the implications of what he was saying. It was self-defeating to use the phrase, and no rational actor who understood its meaning would do so. The teaching of history in Australia has been degraded for many years now.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:48 pm

What made it so self-defeating to use the phrase and no rational actor who understood its meaning would do so
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Mugwump wrote:
I do think that all parliamentarians ought to have a well-above average knowledge of history and the Constitution, by passing a test prior to an election, and attending classes if they fail. We would not select anyone for a job without the basic qualifications in any other field of endeavor.

I don’t think he realised the implications of what he was saying. It was self-defeating to use the phrase, and no rational actor who understood its meaning would do so. The teaching of history in Australia has been degraded for many years now.

The guy is nearly 70. If he didn't know the meaning of that phrase he must have lived his whole life in a backwater bubble.

Oh...Wait...............

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 pm

^ or be a bit of a dill.

Oh... wait............

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:38 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Snap. Wink
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:54 am

Funny hearing Hanson, Dutton, Turnbull and the rest express their moral outrage about Anning’s speech. Must feel good to be the moderates for once. Even Labor support locking refugees up in island cages, FFS, yet they’re treating a call to return to pre-1960s Australia as unprecedented and reprehensible. They’ve already taken us back there, and they all do much of what Aning’s calling for – they just use nicer language while doing it.

Last edited by David on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:55 am

David wrote:
Funny seeing Hanson, Dutton, Turnbull and the rest express their moral outrage about Anning’s speech. Must feel good to be the moderates for once.

Freedom dies when people do not dare to think freely.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:59 am

And another kind of freedom dies when the fascists take charge...
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:11 am

David wrote:
And another kind of freedom dies when the fascists take charge...

Yes, that’s true. But I see no one acting unconstitutionally. I see no one proposing laws to discriminate among Australians. Or ticking enough of Umberto Eco’s (debatably broad) boxes to get close. Do you ?

Do you have a better definition than Eco of what fascism actually is ? Because Anning doesn’t look like it, any more than you look like the Khmer Rouge. It isn’t just wanting to protect a Christian or other home culture by managing the immigration mix or the citizenship status of new arrivals - for if it is, then Australia was fascist for over a hundred years. Japan is fascist today. Germany was fascist post 1945. These terms have meaning, and when we abandon responsibility in using them, we start on the road to hell.

And no, I do not support his particular policy idea, or his ignorant use of that horrid phrase. His basic policy proposition was not, however, incompatible with a respectful civilisation. We know this because it is the immigration policy of most of the nations of the world.

Can I suggest a surer route to something much more like like fascism ? You mass together in one polity people with very different values and beliefs. Then, when the inevitable conflicts start, you realise that only more government controls and police can keep this from getting very nasty. So government starts enacting soft and then hard boundaries on what you can and can’t say, while increasing its powers to ward off civil unrest, which grows on the streets. Does that sound at all familiar ?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:53 am

Fascism is not only a way of running government, but also an ideology. There are plenty of politicians out there who might not be full-blown fascists but who nonetheless embrace fascist ideas.

I’m a strong supporter of free speech, as you know, and believe that it is essential in its own right, but I’m a bit sceptical of the notion that it is much of a protective mechanism against fascism. Fascists will suppress speech, certainly, but to do so they need to get into power. How effective is free speech alone at actually stopping that? Could Hitler’s or Mussolini’s rise have been prevented by more freedom of speech? If not, what other tactics do we have access to?

In Anning’s speech, he repeatedly invokes Bjelke-Petersen’s Queensland as his model for how Australia should be. This was a state government that banned protest, allowed police significant power and little oversight, subverted the democratic pricess in order to retain power, beat up on minorities and of course supported the racist (by definition) national immigration policy that was in place when it first took power. So I think it’s fair to say that he is, at best, a fascist sympathiser. He may come across as just a conservative old farmer, but where do you think mainstream support for leaders like Mussolini actually came from? It wasn’t from brainwashed ideologues waving little red books; it was from conservatives with views that were only slightly to the right of mainstream paradigms of that time in history in places like Australia. They believed in strong borders, a strong nation, unfettered industry and the exclusion of undesirables. It’s not such an alien philosophy even now.

Anning may not be within the corridors of power himself, but some are justifiably worried that beliefs like his are becoming increasingly mainstream. It’s not him or the Katter Party that worries us; it’s what they are potentially paving the way for.

Could people like him ever take power? Perhaps. My impession is that, culturally, Australia has a strong authoritarian streak underneath its supposedly easygoing surface, combined with an apathetic tendency to accept the status quo without question. And look at what our government is already doing: your private communications are being monitored by government agencies; is that freedom? People are locked up indefinitely in detention centres: do they have freedom? A whistleblower is being prosecuted by our government for revealing the truth about illegal government actions in another country: is that freedom of speech? Civil liberties are slowly being wound back for the sake of “national security”: is that freedom?

It’s all very well to debate whether a far-right politician ticks the boxes to meet all the criteria of being a fascist, or argue that anti-Islamic “patriot” groups aren’t truly racist because Islam is a religion, etc. But how far right does mainstream discourse have to go before we accept that we have a problem, and would we even recognise the turning point when we get there? An analogy about boiling frogs comes to mind here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: