Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Immigration

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it continues, as one of the genuinely model societies of the world for so many years continues to descend into anarchy within a few years of opening itself to mass immigration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45181321

The “E pluribus unum” ideal may work in a world of rapidly rising economic growth like the US from 1900-1970. The evidence is overwhelming that it is not a good model for a stable, harmonious society in the low-growth West of today. How much evidence will be necessary before ordinary people cry “no more” to their ravenous, distant political and economic elites ? And when they do, given that the craven ordinary conservative parties have so long colluded in the policy, will they continue to turn to the far-right ? Or will people with strong constitutional instincts finally stand up against this desperately stupid policy before it is too late ?

On another note, yet another terror attack in London at the Houses of Parliament. Thank goodness only a few people injured badly, not life threatening. It is but a matter of time before this lovely building and many people in and around it are inevitably reduced to ruins by a truck bomb ? They only have to get organized and lucky once.

What happened to the lovely, broadly united societies we once took for granted ? Why were they annulled, and in whose interests ?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:04 am

^"Descend into anarchy"? God help us. And you think the word "hysteria" is an effort to silence the truly discerning.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:23 am

pietillidie wrote:
^"Descend into anarchy"? God help us. And you think the word "hysteria" is an effort to silence the truly discerning.

You described my concern as “hysteria” which it clearly was not. I bit it off having also been accused a few posts earlier of “social panic”, that other great rhetorical device of those who are bereft of an argument.

Most people would consider “anarchy” a perfectly reasonable term for the systematic torching of 100 cars by organized gangs. No misuse of language at all.

Now, feel like addressing the point ? Which is, in a nutshell,that the policies you advocate have made one of the kindest societies on the earth over many years into a place of gangs and riots with a flourishing far-right movement. You really can’t ignore the evidence forever.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:24 am

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/senator-honours-white-australia-policy-in-first-speech-and-calls-for-final-solution-on-immigration-20180814-p4zxhr.html

You get what you vote for, I suppose.

Now, here's a question - how far should parliamentary privilege extend?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 am

Ugh. He’s entitled to his views on the WAP (at least prospectively), stupid and unnecessary though they are. But the “final solution” phrase in that context is ugly indeed. I wonder if he really used that phrase with any consciousness of its history? Most Australians brought up in the modern educational era have so little history that it is possible he wasn’t, I suppose.

Regardless, it is either a faux pas of jaw-dropping proportions or he’s really not fit to be a parliamentarian. One would want to look at his other published views to see if he was aware of that connotation. Regardless, hopefully he is defenstrated at the next election on grounds of chauvinist ignorance, if nothing else.

Edit : having now listened to it, the phrase he used was “the final solution to immigration lies in a plebiscite of all Australians”, at the end of a speech where he made some specific proposals for change to immigration policy. Dumb to use the phrase, but no one could credibly claim that he was talking about a Hitlerian “Endlosung”. Unfortunately he has just delivered the immigration zealots an own goal. No doubt they will exult in full and salute the twittermob in the stands, arms aloft as they skid toward them across the turf. Meanwhile, the real issue will churn away outside the stadium, albeit moved a few more meters further away from grown-up debate.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:32 am; edited 2 times in total
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 am

He was driving a Ford Fiesta.

As far as terrorist efforts go it was a pretty lame one.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:13 am

^ yeah, I think the bloke that accidentally set himself on fire at Glasgow Airport (and then got kicked in the balls by the locals) about 7 years ago also drove a Ford Fiesta.

Billy Connolly had a really funny skit about a poster of this bloke on fire being kicked in the balls being erected above Glasgow airport under the caption “Glasgow welcomes careful drivers”.

IS might be updating their training manuals. Or maybe when they said “hotwire a bomb”, the local youth misunderstood.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:26 am

Fraser Anning just stole all the Dumb Nation votes in one speech. Now Pauline will have to do a speech and go even more extreme to win those votes back.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 am

All?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:24 am

Culprit wrote:
Fraser Anning just stole all the Dumb Nation votes in one speech. Now Pauline will have to do a speech and go even more extreme to win those votes back.

Amazing how his use of the term final solution has seemingly caused more outrage in some conservative politicians than the bile directed at Muslims that was at the very heart of his speech.

The actual reality is that Anning would very much be the type to support the current right wing Israeli government and his intention wasn't to offend the Jewish people.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:47 am

It is tiring that this sort of stuff has become so normalised. Fancy calling for a return to race-based immigration policy, like, ten years ago. We all just shrug at it now. And the Overton Window moves ever slowly rightward.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:00 pm

The question needs to be asked that if Senator Anning (from the Katter Australia Party) believes all immigrants should be European Christians is he planning on deporting the Katter family (Lebanese background)? That might be a bit awkward.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:23 pm

pietillidie wrote:

Here's a society further down the Islamic immigration rabbit hole that we are...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2018/08/14/swedish-youths-burned-dozens-cars-last-night-now-prime-minister-is-livid/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a94562b0171f

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/world/europe/sweden-crime-immigration-hand-grenades.html
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Culprit wrote:

Pauline has actually backed away Shocked but the Kat in the hat has doubled down calling it a magnificent speech.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/fraser-anning-s-final-solution-speech-absolutely-magnificent-says-bob-katter-20180815-p4zxme.html

In regard to the Final Solution comment, ole Bob said,
Quote:
Mr Katter claimed his senator had "absolutely no idea" the term was used in Nazi Germany under Adolf Hitler to describe the genocide of the Jewish people in Europe.

"He didn’t get to a university to know the significance of all these words," Mr Katter said. "He's smart, but he hasn't read all the history books. He doesn't know what any of this means. And nor will he spend any time finding out.

"I'm sick of you lily pad lefties coming at us on some absolutely ridiculous technicality that has nothing to do with the issues."

Mr Katter said his party was resolutely pro-Jewish and wanted to protect Jewish people in Australia from "the persecutors" being brought in from the Middle East under Australia's migration program.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Gotta love Bob Katter; lily pad lefties Laughing I assumed much the same thing about his words, the state of history studies in this country is truly dire and I wouldn't be surprised that someone didn't know the term.

I can't see any reason to bring it up as a dog whistle for neo-nazis; there's no more than a hundred votes in that bloc and anyone would know that it'd detract from whatever his message was.

I'd think his advisers should've picked up on it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8   

Jump to: