Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Immigration

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn’t about manners. It’s about content. It’s actually ridiculous that you pretend not to notice.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 pm

David wrote:
While I definitely think we should increase our refugee intake, I’m not sure where I stand on skilled migration levels. We know high levels of migration are generally good for the economy, but that public infrastructure is struggling to keep up with population growth. So the answer to the question of whether we need to get better at infrastructure or try to control population levels seems unclear to me; beyond those discussions, what I’d like to see is a coherent argument as to why either a “Small Australia” or “Big Australia” is desirable. And if we’re to pursue the former aim, how would that actually work in practice (i.e. who gets turned away at the door, or what extra hoops have to be jumped through, presuming that current migration levels are mostly fuelled by demand)?

Can anyone point to successful examples – in terms of economics and standard of living – of countries dramatically reducing migration levels?

That would be a false reading. better to look at overall immigration levels by country and the impact of that.

Japan seems to have a policy that would make the white Australia policy seem mild, except they're yellow.

"one nation, one civilisation, one language, one culture and one race"

This is relevant. http://www.academia.edu/6988070/Why_do_most_countries_in_general_restrict_immigration_Would_there_be_economic_benefits_in_having_a_larger_or_smaller_number_of_immigrants

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:09 pm

^ Not sure if that’s the best example – last I heard, Japan is struggling with an ageing population and that’s having a negative impact on economic growth. They were actually one country I thought of as an example of why immigration reduction policies can be a bad thing.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 pm

And economic growth is all that matters ? Anyone who has spent time in
Japan will soon find that the quality of life there is pretty good. They work too hard, and their little islands are very overcrowded, and they do increasingly resent that. Otherwise, it’s a very good society and environment by any balanced standard. Low crime, wealthy, high longevity and health care, outstanding educational attainment, a strong sense of social solidarity, strong families. It’s a fairly clear example that migration is, at best, irelelevant to living standards.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 pm

^

A mate of mine lives there. Old high school friend. He's a uni teacher, married to a local and has 2 primary school age kids.

I don't particularly like their model, immigration has changed Australia for the better, but there comes a point where you need to hit pause and re assess.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Actually I agree that immigration has been a net positive for Australia. It has made the place more vibrant and interesting, and increased our capacity to make business connections to the rest of the world. It’s really just about rate and quantity, and the present rate is subtracting from the quality of life, unless you own real estate assets or run a successful business, in which case it will have enriched you greatly (while immiserating the young and less-skilled).

At this point, too, most of the enhanced vigor that Australia can draw from immigration has probably been achieved. The point of Japan is that it shows that there is no one way to the good society or the good life and mass immigration is not as essential as the common ideology supposes.

Do your friends like living there ? I find it a fascinating culture.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Mugwump wrote:
K wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
If you think Jezza is extreme because he questions migration numbers, you’re in parody territory.

If you think that's the most extreme view Jezza has posted in VPT, you haven't been paying attention.

What is the most extreme view Jezza's posted? (I can't help but be curious...)

I’m curious as well. Jezza is as polite and considerate as any poster on the board, I’d have thought.

Me 6 or 7!
Even face to face he’s as nice as apple crumble!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 pm

So 10 months after I got 100% on that stupid test I got a letter saying, wait for it, I passed! Now apparently in the next 6 months I get an invite to a ceremony. God I hope it’s not on Australia Day, I don’t mind watching but yeah, just let me do it in the back room somewhere! Knowing me I’ll come out with God save the queen, or God bless America!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:21 pm

think positive wrote:
So 10 months after I got 100% on that stupid test I got a letter saying, wait for it, I passed! Now apparently in the next 6 months I get an invite to a ceremony. God I hope it’s not on Australia Day, I don’t mind watching but yeah, just let me do it in the back room somewhere! Knowing me I’ll come out with God save the queen, or God bless America!

Dare you to sing God bless Trump. Razz

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Actually I agree that immigration has been a net positive for Australia. It has made the place more vibrant and interesting, and increased our capacity to make business connections to the rest of the world. It’s really just about rate and quantity, and the present rate is subtracting from the quality of life, unless you own real estate assets or run a successful business, in which case it will have enriched you greatly (while immiserating the young and less-skilled).

At this point, too, most of the enhanced vigor that Australia can draw from immigration has probably been achieved. The point of Japan is that it shows that there is no one way to the good society or the good life and mass immigration is not as essential as the common ideology supposes.

Do your friends like living there ? I find it a fascinating culture.

He seems happy, mind you he's been there a fair while (30 years) so I dare say he's adapted to the society which is a tad different to a small country NSW town.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Thanks for pointing the place more vibrant and interesting and increased our capacity to make business connections to the rest of the world out.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:20 am

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

Dare you to sing God bless Trump. Razz

Hmmmm, no but I could wear hubby’s trump hat!

K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:21 am

think positive wrote:
K wrote:
think positive wrote:
Well during my weekly chat with ... Jezza, I discreetly checked for any new <xxxx> tattoos or a <xxx> hood (I would have borrowed that, kept me head warm!) annnnd nup still as genteel as ever!

... did you really check the most intimate areas?

Wouldn’t have been much point tonight, so damn cold, I believe called it shrinkage!

But you have the 250mm zoom lens!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:24 am

No I didn't check the most intimate areas. What's check the most intimate areas like?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:33 am

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
K wrote:
think positive wrote:
Well during my weekly chat with ... Jezza, I discreetly checked for any new <xxxx> tattoos or a <xxx> hood (I would have borrowed that, kept me head warm!) annnnd nup still as genteel as ever!

... did you really check the most intimate areas?

Wouldn’t have been much point tonight, so damn cold, I believe called it shrinkage!

But you have the 250mm zoom lens!

Shocked
Don't post it !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: