Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mission : Top4 finish

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Number 35 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:02 pm
Post subject: Mission : Top4 finishReply with quote

The most important thing is that we win our remaining games, stabilize our defense, finalize our forward line. That of course is our mission. We will be considered favourites in each game. Tic.. Tac.. Toe.. A chance to build some confidence and cohesion going into finals. Agents such as Aish, Fasolo, DeGoey and Reid may play a part in the next 3 weeks, while our Warriors in Tyson and Treloar are preparing for the Post season Battleground.

However looking ahead we need 2 results to go our way:

- Geelong to beat Hawthorn this week
- Adelaide to beat Giants in Sydney this week

The following week it would suit us if :

- West Coast defeat Melbourne

The Power game looms us our most difficult game in our remaining 3 weeks. However if we were to drop that game the final round seems an interesting one with the following games all relevant in our run home :

- Sydney vs Hawthorn
- Brisbane vs West Coast
- Melbourne vs Giants

Nothing will be clear until round 23. Perhaps the only certainty will be finish 4th and play Richmond. And that probaly the most likely scenario at the moment. And i wouldnt have it any other way to be honest. JeremyTheDragon will be back this week followed by a couple of Guns. And hopefully a suprise or 2 heading into finals. Sometimes its stories like ours that become Legend.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are just an even money bet to beat the Lions. They are playing well, we only just beat them last time, with a much stronger team, and we face them at the Docklands TV studio, which does not suit us.

Unless we regain some players soon, and don't incur any more injuries, we will struggle to beat Port.

The last h & a away game will be the dockers GF, and played on their turf. Anyone who thinks that game will be easy are kidding themselves.

So, as it stands, with so many of our key gun players unavailable, I honestly don't have much confidence we will win any of these games.

It's such a shame, as Bucks has created a great team, playing for each other, and fully invested in the game plan. We still have some enormous talent, but considering the absence of Goldy, Dunn, Schaz, Howe, Treloar, De Goey, Moore, Reid and Elliott - all automatic best 22 players if fit - it's amazing, and a credit to Bucks, that we've been competitive at all.

I really hope I'm wrong, but the confidence and optimism I had, just 3 weeks ago, that we could go all the way and win the flag, has deserted me, and I sense it is all starting to unravel. Sorry to be such a downer, but I fear we are in desperate straits now. Crying or Very sad
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:44 pm

I wrote this in another thread but it is much more relevant here. It’s a different perspective, and I am not sure I’m actually advocating it, but it’s worth thinking about :

If we can win next week, I’d almost be prepared to concede the following week vs Port and (if the results have fallen our way) Freo. Use those games to blood and prove McClarty, Murphy, deepen Madgen, Brown and.Daicos, Appleby, refresh Blair, and bring back any boys who need conditioning - the sack, Reid, Aish, Fas, etc. I think our best chance of winning the flag is to go for it from eighth with the fittest list we can muster. With our best list, even excluding the permanent outs such as Schaz, Dunn, we can beat any side going round.

The risks are obvious - entrenching losing form, loss of morale, and even perhaps the risk we blow it. But I have seen finals series before where we limped into the finals and were blown away. Managing injury and hitting this finals series fresh is probably our best chance of scaling this cliff. Nobody will want to meet us there on those terms.

Last edited by Mugwump on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Number 35 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:44 pm

Dont worry RudeBoy, come back here when we have won our next 3. And the boys are having some R&R in Sunny Perth.

Once we make finals, everything resets. The week off brings an air of unknown for all.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Win our next 3 and we'll finish top 4.

Our destiny is in our hands at least.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 pm

Mugwump wrote:
I wrote this in another thread but it is much more relevant here. It’s a different perspective, and I am not sure I’m actually advocating it, but it’s worth thinking about :

If we can win next week, I’d almost be prepared to concede the following week vs Port and (if the results have fallen our way) Freo. Use those games to blood and prove McClarty, Murphy, deepen Madgen, Brown and.Daicos, Appleby, refresh Blair, and bring back any boys who need conditioning - the sack, Reid, Aish, Fas, etc. I think our best chance of winning the flag is to go for it from eighth with the fittest list we can muster. With our best list, even excluding the permanent outs such as Schaz, Dunn, we can beat any side going round.

The risks are obvious - entrenching losing form, loss of morale, and even perhaps the risk we blow it. But I have seen finals series before where we limped into the finals and were blown away. Managing injury and hitting this finals series fresh is probably our best chance of scaling this cliff. Nobody will want to meet us there on those terms.

Interesting conception, It is like giving some in our team a 3 week rest. I think the risks are too great personally. We have a spirit of never giving up and sacrificing everything to win. It has become part of the Pies' DNA. To suddenly not play with such dour resolve for 2 weeks in a row would be harmful to the entire psychology and spirit we have established. Maybe after Port game (which I think we should not throw, as they will be one of our rivals in the finals), we could experiment in the Fremantle game and rest a few of our guns who are carrying small injuries.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Interesting conception, It is like giving some in our team a 3 week rest. I think the risks are too great personally. We have a spirit of never giving up and sacrificing everything to win. It has become part of the Pies' DNA. To suddenly not play with such dour resolve for 2 weeks in a row would be harmful to the entire psychology and spirit we have established. Maybe after Port game (which I think we should not throw, as they will be one of our rivals in the finals), we could experiment in the Fremantle game and rest a few of our guns who are carrying small injuries.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:00 am

It would be a very big risk to rest players for 3 weeks then expect them to hit their straps and win 4 games in a row against sides who have had our measure all season

Much better to build some momentum, form and confidence and come into the finals firing on all cylinders

With the stupid bye before finals, even a trip to Perth in rd23 isn't the issue it used to be
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:40 am

If we win all of our next three games, I wouldn’t be overly worried about other results. With Melbourne and GWS playing in the final round, that’s already one team taken care of, which means we only need one of either Hawthorn or the winner of the aforementioned match-up to lose a single game, and all three teams have tough games to come (Hawthorn vs Geelong and Sydney, Melbourne vs Sydney and West Coast, and GWS vs Sydney). Forget West Coast, though – we won’t catch them now.

If we only win 1 or 2 of the next 3, it’s Geelong and Sydney we need to be most worried about – and in that situation, ironically enough, we’ll possibly be needing some of those games above to go the other way!

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:09 am

Mission: Impossible now, unfortunately. You only deserve to finish in the top 4 if you can beat the sides that finish 5-8, we haven't proven this at all.
lanstro 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:21 pm

We clearly don't deserve to be top 4, but who cares if we deserve it or not. We can still sneak in there with a bit of luck. Each remaining game is going to be a struggle, but our opponents are beatable. We might not have the class or skill any more, but the boys have shown that they still have heart.

And if we make it, well we certainly don't 'deserve' the premiership, nor are we any realistic chance of winning it, but again, who cares. Did Hawthorn deserve it in 2008? Dogs 2 years ago? These chances don't come around often, we have to go for it.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:30 pm

SOS Goldsack and Reid.We need them to come back as soon as possible,because we have literally run out of key defenders.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:44 pm

People may have noted my negative view on things but best I am hoping for is playing finals. Anything else is a bonus. I honestly am thinking we’re more likely to miss the finals than make them at this point. I really hope I’m wrong but this loss really hurts.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:04 pm

I don't get where all the negativity is coming from. Our form really hasn't wavered all that much. What's hurting us is not just the guys on the sidelines but the KPP in-game injuries that have seen us down important rotations in most of the past 8 games. If we can finish a game with the 22 we started with, that makes a HUGE difference.

Would you rather be Geelong sitting outside of the 8? They're certainly not acting like their season is over. Or have the run home that Sydney, Port or Melbourne has?

Remember it doesn't matter who is in the top 4 right now but in three weeks time. Does it suck that we lost to the Swans? ABSOLUTELY! But not the end of the world.

All we need is for West Coast and Richmond to win the rest of their games too.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Well said, SW. Been enjoying your positivity over the past few weeks. Let’s mourn 2018 when it’s actually over, not while it’s well and truly alive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: