Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Magpies v. Lions - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaker 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
tbaker wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
I'm blaming Moore for Howe's injury.

Moore and the Richmond player who pushed Howe in the back (Grimes?) are equally responsible for Howe going off with concussion.
Moore is not responsible for Howe missing the following two games with a corkie!

Are you being Serious or taking the piss??????

You want your pack breaker checking to make sure no one is being pushed under the ball before courageously diving into a pack to make a spoil. yeah, that'll work......

You answered your own question - such is the absurdity of blaming a team mate for the injury...many are keen to blame Moore for whatever they can (granted, getting injured during the game can stuff the team up, but apart from that he's been an asset to the team)

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:30 pm

All angst against Darcy Moore is really inappropriate. I have noticed here on Nick's that a certain type of player gets ridiculed and denigrated. Often blonde (Sinclair, Moore, Langdon(ish), Murray). Often also a player who has something unusual about him, either in his playing style or physical attributes or appearance (Langdon and his hair style, Darcy Moore and his quiet introverted manner, Sam Murray and his intensely dramatic play on at all costs style,(similar to Sinkers), Blair with his height ) It is quite similar to the bullying that occurs among kids at school. It is quite pathetic.
I am not saying that all criticism is to be banned: simply that the criticism of any player needs to be objective (based on how he plays the game) and backed by evidence. All the rest is depressing to read if you love the Pies.

Achilles 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 pm

I agree 100%
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 pm

E wrote:
I blame you Mugwump. If it wasn't for all your posts on here suggesting Moore should play back, he wouldn't have been there in the first place.....

I also blame everyone else on Nicks as well. All the threads questioning Moore's commitment to Collingwood made him play with passion and heart and without any fear for his own safety in trying to neutralize the contest. You can see it in his eyes. If I play too laconic and safe, Nicks will treat me like they treat Langdon.

We are all to blame......

Are we all guilty of the Kennedy assassination ?

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 pm

If Oxley gets the Howe role, he could get 25+
E 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
All angst against Darcy Moore is really inappropriate. I have noticed here on Nick's that a certain type of player gets ridiculed and denigrated. Often blonde (Sinclair, Moore, Langdon(ish), Murray). Often also a player who has something unusual about him, either in his playing style or physical attributes or appearance (Langdon and his hair style, Darcy Moore and his quiet introverted manner, Sam Murray and his intensely dramatic play on at all costs style,(similar to Sinkers), Blair with his height ) It is quite similar to the bullying that occurs among kids at school. It is quite pathetic.
I am not saying that all criticism is to be banned: simply that the criticism of any player needs to be objective (based on how he plays the game) and backed by evidence. All the rest is depressing to read if you love the Pies.

well said. I actually think the reason we see systemic criticism of certain players is the inability of posters to modify or develop views beyond an initial post of criticism.

Sinclair was the perfect example. Came into the firsts and was clearly nervous. Butchered the ball numerous times in his first few games and this was observed by posters. Problem is that he fixed this problem and became reliable by foot. Only problem is that posters who made the early posts couldn't walk it back and so spent the next 5 years defending those early posts.

Sidebottom is another perfect example. You just have to watch the way the Empty Vessel posts about Sidey. All based on posts from about 5 years ago (at a time where Sidey could be criticized for sometimes butchering the ball with dinky possessions). It is obviously not the hallmark of his game today and he has developed his game to a point where he is only one rung below the absolute elite of the competition. But let's keep judging him based on that one post you wrote all that time ago ago (right empty vessel).

People are incapable of changing their views on Langdon at this point, even though you'd have to be a blind drunk guy to have missed the quality of Langdon's play this season (ending any debate about why he is one of the first picked defenders). Again, let's focus on the turnovers that was guilty of causing early in his career and the occasional bad clanger by foot and COMPLETELY ignore all of his amazing contributions to the team.

Of course, your point is not without merit. I just think that in addition to the points you made, i think there is an even simpler point. The insecurity of posters and their inability to allow their thought to evolve beyond a contentious post.

Would you believe that QldMagpies has still not acknowledged that Langdon had a great game on the weekend (after berating him mercilessly and unfairly in prior weeks). I have seen very few people admit they were wrong about criticism of Jordan DeGoey. it goes on and on.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 pm

^E
If that is the case that supporters of the Pies are unable to admit they were initially wrong in their assessment, and are not willing to rejoice in the fact that the player they previously undervalued is actually a gun, then it is very sad. I am happy to be proven wrong in any negative assessment I might make. Agree totally re Langdon. an absolute star in every respect, absolutely love him. Cannot understand at all how the negative, demeaning comments persist from any supporter of the Pies. If it is true that there is a focus on occasional errors to justify comments from long ago, then that is really a miserable outlook which cannot take the Pies forward. Go Pies!!

E 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:49 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
^E
If that is the case that supporters of the Pies are unable to admit they were initially wrong in their assessment, and are not willing to rejoice in the fact that the player they previously undervalued is actually a gun, then it is very sad. I am happy to be proven wrong in any negative assessment I might make. Agree totally re Langdon. an absolute star in every respect, absolutely love him. Cannot understand at all how the negative, demeaning comments persist from any supporter of the Pies. If it is true that there is a focus on occasional errors to justify comments from long ago, then that is really a miserable outlook which cannot take the Pies forward. Go Pies!!

Fortunately empty vessels arent the people we are relying on to take us forward. Fortunately, we have Nathan Buckley to do that (and yes, there is another classic example of someone people dont appreciate as much as they should because they find it hard to walk back earlier criticism).

To be clear, not everyone on Nick's cant admit errors. Oh boy, the criticism i had for both Cox and Maynard early in their career is a little embarrassing to look back on now.

In cox's case, i was simply convinced that no american could ever learn our game. Happy to be proven wrong.

In the case of Maynard, i thought his came was just about being a bully and making horrendous decisions. He still makes the occasional error of judgment, but it by no means defines him anymore. He is now a reliable defender with very very sure hands and an outstanding line breaking penetrating kick. Not fair to define him by the one or two mistakes he might make in a game.

Others cant let go.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:37 am

inxs88 wrote:
If Oxley gets the Howe role, he could get 25+

I don’t think Brisbane has a 25 goal forward line. If they do, though, Oxley may be the one to play them into form.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:59 am

E wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

well said. I actually think the reason we see systemic criticism of certain players is the inability of posters to modify or develop views beyond an initial post of criticism.

Sinclair was the perfect example. Came into the firsts and was clearly nervous. Butchered the ball numerous times in his first few games and this was observed by posters. Problem is that he fixed this problem and became reliable by foot. Only problem is that posters who made the early posts couldn't walk it back and so spent the next 5 years defending those early posts.

Sidebottom is another perfect example. You just have to watch the way the Empty Vessel posts about Sidey. All based on posts from about 5 years ago (at a time where Sidey could be criticized for sometimes butchering the ball with dinky possessions). It is obviously not the hallmark of his game today and he has developed his game to a point where he is only one rung below the absolute elite of the competition. But let's keep judging him based on that one post you wrote all that time ago ago (right empty vessel).

People are incapable of changing their views on Langdon at this point, even though you'd have to be a blind drunk guy to have missed the quality of Langdon's play this season (ending any debate about why he is one of the first picked defenders). Again, let's focus on the turnovers that was guilty of causing early in his career and the occasional bad clanger by foot and COMPLETELY ignore all of his amazing contributions to the team.

Of course, your point is not without merit. I just think that in addition to the points you made, i think there is an even simpler point. The insecurity of posters and their inability to allow their thought to evolve beyond a contentious post.

Would you believe that QldMagpies has still not acknowledged that Langdon had a great game on the weekend (after berating him mercilessly and unfairly in prior weeks). I have seen very few people admit they were wrong about criticism of Jordan DeGoey. it goes on and on.

E we all see the game differently and I don't think he had a great game at all and won't be saying so just because you do. He had a good game but still made a few errors resulting in goals but he was far from our worst and given some of his performances this season it was one of his better games
I would be equally critical of any player with 70 games that can still consistently miss a target 25m away by 15m
I challenge the misrepresentation of stats provided by others about Langdon
If the stats I provide aren't liked that's fine but I'm not going to sit and watch people say he went at 80% by foot when it's actually 60% (6 of 10) because they mistake overall DE and DE by foot.
We can agree to disagree mate I won't change my opinion because you think I should and I doubt you'll change yours because of me and that's fine
Go and look at some of my comments about Adams as well. I think he's one of the worst kicks in the AFL but because Adams isn't one of your favourites you let that slide but jump to an inexcusable defence of Langdon when he has a shocker or makes similar errors
Before this season I was a big critic of Sidey. Had said for ages his best is brilliant but it's not consistent enough to warrant being in the conversation of being a elite player. This season especially before the bye I was one of the first to praise him and give him the credit he's due. I've defended him the past few weeks when he's stats and impact have been down because I think both he and Pendles are carrying a heavy load for this team.
Mate I'm all for a health debate and respect your opinion either if it differs from mine. I never take anything anyone says personally unless they make it personal which you haven't
One day when I'm in Melbourne we can sit down over a 1000 beers and debate it more and then agree to disagree still
E 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:19 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
E wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

E we all see the game differently and I don't think he had a great game at all and won't be saying so just because you do. He had a good game but still made a few errors resulting in goals but he was far from our worst and given some of his performances this season it was one of his better games
I would be equally critical of any player with 70 games that can still consistently miss a target 25m away by 15m
If the stats I provide aren't liked that's fine but I'm not going to sit and watch people say he went at 80% by foot when it's actually 60% (6 of 10) because they mistake overall DE and DE by foot.
We can agree to disagree mate I won't change my opinion because you think I should and I doubt you'll change yours because of me and that's fine
Go and look at some of my comments about Adams as well. I think he's one of the worst kicks in the AFL but because Adams isn't one of your favourites you let that slide but jump to an inexcusable defence of Langdon when he has a shocker or makes similar errors
Before this season I was a big critic of Sidey. Had said for ages his best is brilliant but it's not consistent enough to warrant being in the conversation of being a elite player. This season especially before the bye I was one of the first to praise him and give him the credit he's due. I've defended him the past few weeks when he's stats and impact have been down because I think both he and Pendles are carrying a heavy load for this team.
Mate I'm all for a health debate and respect your opinion either if it differs from mine. I never take anything anyone says personally unless they make it personal which you haven't
One day when I'm in Melbourne we can sit down over a 1000 beers and debate it more and then agree to disagree still

And therein lies the rub. Its funny the way you think and it makes me chuckle.

2 weeks ago, you used the following argument to prove (in your words) to P4S that he was wrong in praising Langdon. "Less than 20% of Nicks posters found votes for him and none of the coaches gave him votes" you really let him have it for this.

Last week, no fewer than 90% of Nicks voters gave him votes (you did not) and he even got votes from the coaches even though we were on the losing end of the result (and coaches can only award votes to 5 players from BOTH teams). somehow last week's argument doesn't apply.

I could stop there, but i wont. Adams is my third favorite player behind DeGoey and Grundy. People who criticize his kicking are morons who have no idea why he is in the side. His kicking is also much better than those people think. Do you just ignore it when he drills a pass to DeGoey under pressure. He does make mistakes and sometimes (probably from fatigue and pressure, among other things he lacks penetration on his kicks). The key to his development (which it sounds like you either missed or wont acknowledge) is that he is working within his limitations to cut down on costly mistakes which makes him a much safer/better footballer these days than perhaps he was 2 years ago. You really need to be able to evolve in your thinking. What is correct today might not be correct in 6 months.

Finally, while i'd love to have a beer with you (i like reading you because while you are a little set in your ways, you aren't totally filled with hate - like others - and so you tend to try to use reason - which i like and would never criticize you for - although i reserve the right to use it against you), you'll have to travel a lot further than Melbourne and you'd need to be very flexible on location as i'm never in one spot more than a week at a time.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:27 am

I like happy endings.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:05 am

E wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
E wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

2 weeks ago, you used the following argument to prove (in your words) to P4S that he was wrong in praising Langdon. "Less than 20% of Nicks posters found votes for him and none of the coaches gave him votes" you really let him have it for this.

Last week, no fewer than 90% of Nicks voters gave him votes (you did not) and he even got votes from the coaches even though we were on the losing end of the result (and coaches can only award votes to 5 players from BOTH teams). somehow last week's argument doesn't apply.

I could stop there, but i wont. Adams is my third favorite player behind DeGoey and Grundy. People who criticize his kicking are morons who have no idea why he is in the side. His kicking is also much better than those people think. Do you just ignore it when he drills a pass to DeGoey under pressure. He does make mistakes and sometimes (probably from fatigue and pressure, among other things he lacks penetration on his kicks). The key to his development (which it sounds like you either missed or wont acknowledge) is that he is working within his limitations to cut down on costly mistakes which makes him a much safer/better footballer these days than perhaps he was 2 years ago. You really need to be able to evolve in your thinking. What is correct today might not be correct in 6 months.

Finally, while i'd love to have a beer with you (i like reading you because while you are a little set in your ways, you aren't totally filled with hate - like others - and so you tend to try to use reason - which i like and would never criticize you for - although i reserve the right to use it against you), you'll have to travel a lot further than Melbourne and you'd need to be very flexible on location as i'm never in one spot more than a week at a time.

E just a minor correction in your statement only 1 coach gave him a vote not coaches in plural

I am set in my ways and opinions some may say unrealistically stubborn but that's just one of my many charms !!
E 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:28 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
E wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
E wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

E just a minor correction in your statement only 1 coach gave him a vote not coaches in plural

I am set in my ways and opinions some may say unrealistically stubborn but that's just one of my many charms !!

Smile

Good luck tonight. I bet it will be hard to watch Beams and Collingwood go against each other.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Just to get the juices going ahead of tonight's match, check out this video of the last two minutes from the last time the Pies and Lions met (Rnd 7).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKPE_YI3C_w

Scores level. Mayne scooters a behind (and in spite of the commentary it was not a missed shot at goal. Mayne is a smart, quick thinking player. The behind was getable. The goal shot was very iffy and could have set up a Lions rebound. When the scores are level with seconds to go a behind is worth a thousand goals).

Then a sensational passage of play to seal the win. A long hard chase to the boundary by an exhausted Howe, and from deep in defence via Murray, Cox, Phillips, DeGoey and Stevo. Goal! Game over. Superbly fluid skills and composure from all, but particularly well done by the young Murray from all alone down there in the back pocket.

(And note that at the following centre bounce how Beams tries to polax Taylor. Might be payback time tonight.)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15   

Jump to: