Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Still drunk?
swooper 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:46 pm
Post subject: Re: Sydney Loss, feeling alright.Reply with quote

derkd wrote:
Yep, heart breaking loss, loved the effort by the boys, When Moore went down again i actually had a moment where I came to the conclusion....What is the point of making top four this year? we are so injured we have a category B player on Buddy. We are going to get destroyed.

Maybe for this year it is better we finish bottom half of the eight, put the players who are not fit out for the year ... play an elimination final and take a better draft pick.

I just don't see us matching it with the best sides in the comp come September with no back line. Who is coming back that will make a difference?

Like i say i loved the effort tonight by all 22, and i am one who will say with hand on heart i picked Bucks gone by now but I think he has built a great team...if only we could keep them on the park.... Moore obviously has been rushed back and is not fit.

Agreed. We’re not ready for top 4 yet I reckon. But to play a final ( or hopefully two!) will be great experience for the young players. We’ll be all the better for it in 2019.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:13 pm

think positive wrote:
Still drunk?

Certainly! Laughing

Trekked up the highway to watch yesterdays game, I gotta say, its a great little stadium in terms of facilities and atmosphere, just makes me wonder what could have been with VP with the right planning and vision....

But I digress

The boys looked a bit flat all first half, but the third quarter really was a shocker, they looked as flat and tired as I can ever remember seeing them; I think the injury toll is really beginning to have an effect, and I'm a bit fearful for these next three games.

Fourth quarter was all heart, fantastic effort to get back, the stands were literally speechless when we hit the lead, the looks on the swans fans faces were something to behold.

The last goal was preposterous, but that being said I think we could have handled the last 2 mins a bit better.

The swans fans were pretty happy to get that one, never seen more relief in so many faces

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:15 pm

The problem is we have to strike while the iron is hot... and we're here, while we may not be next year - regardless of injuries or short comings - this is where coaching staff truly earn their money by thinking around the problem - we may need to do something unorthodox. Its not practice for next season until this season is actually over. We'll have to make do with what's available even if its a pipe dream at this stage.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Hard to take we needed to slow it down a brave effort by the lads, but way too many turnovers , the third quarter killed us . A great return for Reg ,Varcoe and Taylor shake it off and beat brisbane lads.

www.facebook/the hybernators
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm still dirty on the outcome, as we played well enough (beat them in 3 quarters) to win the game, but not well enough to guarantee victory.

Ultimately Moore's injury cost us the game. I'm beginning to think he doesn't have the requisite physiology to play AFL footy. I thought he'd be an absolute gun KPP, but right now I wouldn't be sorry to see him go elsewhere. That's sad.

As I said earlier, I believe our injury toll has reached a tipping point. Any game we can win from here will be a hard fought one indeed. We could even miss the finals altogether, but I guess it's more likely we will hold on.

I don't know if they are carrying injuries or are simply weary, but I was a tad disappointed in Pendles and Sidey, who, in the absence of Treloar and De Goey, need to lead from the front and dominate the centre square and clearances generally.

On a brighter note, I thought Sier was terrific, and showed that he could become a massive inside weapon for us for years to come. Grundy is the best ruckman I've ever seen. Adams is a true leader, who throws his body into contest after contest, like his life depended on it, and rarely let's us down in the big games.

Langdon and Maynard are doing their best to hold our weakened defence together and continue to show leadership and courage.

Finally, despite getting the mother of all shellackings from one of the greatest power forwards the game has seen, I thought Madgen looked really good in those first 15 minutes, when he was manning up on the Swans 2nd or 3rd forward. I think Madgen will be a player.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Moore had 3 goals kicked on him in first 20 minutes. Madgen 3 in 3 quarters
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Moore went off injured at the 7 1/2 minute mark.
ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:57 pm

I was there last night - even when we were ahead we weren't playing well. Our game plan this year did not lend itself well to the SCG nor the way the Swans play. They had an extra in our forward line for a lot of the game but we never made them accountable. At one stage, i counted every player on the ground inside less than a quarter of the ground. We were crowded out of the game - we have been fast and open in most weeks this year - last night we could not do that and so we never gained true ascendancy.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Cam wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
I think Buckley's ultra conservative selection process probably cost us the win as well last night.For some strange reason he seems reluctant to drop any players.Brown was terrible last week,and only had five possessions last night.Aish would have been a far better bet.And Fasolo should have come in for Daicos as well.Put those two expecienced players in,then we probably win,especially when you consider that the winning margin was only two points.

Unfortunately Callum doesn’t look like he’ll make it. Too small, poor skills, slow with only good bloodlines

He's what, two preseasons? Make the call after 4. He was playing some decent footy at the start of the year.

Actually his first pre season was wrecked with glandular fever but we shouldn’t let that get in the way of writing off a kid after a dozen games.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:12 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
The problem is we have to strike while the iron is hot... and we're here, while we may not be next year - regardless of injuries or short comings - this is where coaching staff truly earn their money by thinking around the problem - we may need to do something unorthodox. Its not practice for next season until this season is actually over. We'll have to make do with what's available even if its a pipe dream at this stage.

Agree, and I think Buckley and the team have every intention of continuing a desperate fight for this season.
Our team's courage, determination and will to find a way are phenomenal. We're not about to write this season off as lost to injuries. There is not a trace of defeatism in these boys.
The injuries are definitely taking a toll, both physically and mentally. But we have now ready to play: Fasolo, Aisch and Howe (I would hope). If JDG is in fact soon to return, that would be immense. McLarty played well in the VFL as well today.Appleby will also be available soon. Blair is also available (remember, he played in a Premiership team)
I am not, unfortunately optimistic that Ben Reid can play a role.
There are 3 games only left, and surely to have any impact in Finals he would have to get an AFL game in beforehand, and before that a VFL game to prepare himself. Nor do I think Tyson Goldsack can, likewise not enough time left.
So the unorthodox solution will have to come I believe from some combinations of: Fas, Aisch, Howe, McLarty and JDG (I really hope he will be available), Blair with the team as it stands. Our system is fantastic, our team is buying into it in an inspired way. Already they have made remarkable achievements in extreme adversity. Blair would play if necessary as a replacement for Callum Brown or Josh Daicos if we need to rest them. Aisch can do the same.Howe back will enormously bolster the defence. I think we have to look at what combinations of Fasolo, Mihocek, McLarty and Madgen are possible in defence and also forward. Not huge names, but we are a strong team whoever is playing, such is the cohesion. JDG is enormous. If he gets back, I give us a real chance of not only making finals, but having an impact there.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Good post MTTM. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but I genuinely fear our injury toll has reached a tipping point, making it difficult to win another game.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:58 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Moore had 3 goals kicked on him in first 20 minutes. Madgen 3 in 3 quarters

No he didn't

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:23 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Good post MTTM. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but I genuinely fear our injury toll has reached a tipping point, making it difficult to win another game.

I've seen no indication these past few weeks that would suggest we won't win another game this year. Went down by two points with an undermanned side on a tiny, wet ground against a Sydney team that was under the pump. We played terribly and still should've won.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

Agree, and I think Buckley and the team have every intention of continuing a desperate fight for this season.
Our team's courage, determination and will to find a way are phenomenal. We're not about to write this season off as lost to injuries. There is not a trace of defeatism in these boys.
The injuries are definitely taking a toll, both physically and mentally. But we have now ready to play: Fasolo, Aisch and Howe (I would hope). If JDG is in fact soon to return, that would be immense. McLarty played well in the VFL as well today.Appleby will also be available soon. Blair is also available (remember, he played in a Premiership team)
I am not, unfortunately optimistic that Ben Reid can play a role.
There are 3 games only left, and surely to have any impact in Finals he would have to get an AFL game in beforehand, and before that a VFL game to prepare himself. Nor do I think Tyson Goldsack can, likewise not enough time left.
So the unorthodox solution will have to come I believe from some combinations of: Fas, Aisch, Howe, McLarty and JDG (I really hope he will be available), Blair with the team as it stands. Our system is fantastic, our team is buying into it in an inspired way. Already they have made remarkable achievements in extreme adversity. Blair would play if necessary as a replacement for Callum Brown or Josh Daicos if we need to rest them. Aisch can do the same.Howe back will enormously bolster the defence. I think we have to look at what combinations of Fasolo, Mihocek, McLarty and Madgen are possible in defence and also forward. Not huge names, but we are a strong team whoever is playing, such is the cohesion. JDG is enormous. If he gets back, I give us a real chance of not only making finals, but having an impact there.

If we can win next week, I’d almost be prepared to concede the following week vs Port and (if the results have fallen our way) Freo. Use those games to blood McCarty, Murphy, deepen Madgen, Brown and.Daicos, Appleby, refresh Blair, and bring back any boys who need conditioning - the sack, Reid, Aish, etc. I think our best chance of winning the flag is to go for it from eighth with the fittest list we can muster. With our best list, we can beat anyone.

The risks are obvious - entrenching losing form, loss of morale, and even perhaps the risk we blow it. But I have seen finals series before where we limped into the finals and were blown away. Managing injury and hitting this finals series fresh is probably our best chance of scaling this cliff. Nobody will want to meet us there on those terms.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16   

Jump to: