Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Bucks' presser tonight. I thought it was one of the best I have seen from him. He was utterly gutted. His demeanour expressed the devastation of the entire team, and of every Pie supporter, who watched our team tonight desperately battle against enormous odds and come so close to victory. His emotion, contained, quiet, yet so powerful spoke volumes about his synergy with the team. While emphasizing that it was our poor third quarter that cost the game, he also did not conceal his judgement that the loss of Moore was critical for the ultimate outcome. He also explained that swinging Mihocek back to support Magden had the inevitable consequence that Allir was then free, and it took us time to accommodate to that. So I think that what the last quarter shows is that our team, and the coaching, has the ability to adapt to huge adversity, but time is required to do so, and with the lack of experience we had on the field today, it took too long.
This presser has filled me with optimism for the future. The team and the coach are united in a very powerful way, and we have no intention of giving up on this season.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:41 am

not suited to the small ground. i say leave him in.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:42 am

Streak wrote:
Buddy was just one of a thousand cuts that lost us the game. 10% fewer turnovers and we win (for example).

I think Buddy was actually the major cut, and all others were just minor abrasions.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:45 am

he has been cooked for a while. does some nice things, but the season's end cant come soon enough for him. what an outstanding first year!
E 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:51 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Streak wrote:
Buddy was just one of a thousand cuts that lost us the game. 10% fewer turnovers and we win (for example).

I think Buddy was actually the major cut, and all others were just minor abrasions.

he was about 800 of the thousand cuts. He was, quite simply, the difference. In addition to kicking 6.4 out of 11.7, let's not forget that at least 2 of the other 5 goals kicked were as a result of precision passes from Franklin (one of them as a result of the ball coming to him while he was heading to the bench).

He was the only difference maker on the ground tonight.

Ours have a broken leg, torn hammies, ACL and back problems......

Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:08 am

E wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Streak wrote:

he was about 800 of the thousand cuts. He was, quite simply, the difference.

Yeah, he kicked a bag - and yet, we still would have won if Mayne had kicked a goal instead of hitting the post in the 4th. The difference was not 6.4.

Incidentally, not having a go at Mayne - who I thought bore more than his share of the work today.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:27 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

What are your initial thoughts on the game?
Quote:
"We played three quarters and you can't afford to do that against a good opposition. Our third quarter was really poor and the Swans lifted and played some really good footy there. We just fell away from our contest and our defence, and weren't able to control the game at all for 30 minutes. I reckon for the other 90 minutes we did, but you've got to play four quarters to win".

Why do you think you faded away in the third quarter?
Quote:
"The opposition have a say in it. The numbers are pretty stark; how significantly different that 30 minutes was compared to the other 90. Our contested ball wasn't anywhere near as good and our clearance work was down. We weren't able to hold the ball in our front half. The Swans method; credit to them and we weren't able to keep it there so we just let it bounce out of our forward line too easy in that 30 minutes".

How significant was the loss of Darcy Moore?
Quote:
"It's always nice to have the 22 you go in with. The guy Darcy was playing on ended up having 10 of their 18 shots on goal, so I think that was relatively significant even though he had some in the first period as well. We were able to cover it for the majority of the game beyond Darcy leaving the field. Once again, that third quarter sort of stands out as something we didn't get right".

What's the latest on Darcy Moore?
Quote:
"We think he's got a strain in the other hammy".

What's the expected timeframe on the sidelines?
Quote:
"No idea. It's serious enough to not play the game and that's costly".

Are you sick of talking about injuries?
Quote:
"Yep. A bit easier to talk about when you get the job done and a bit harder to talk about when you don't".

On a day where there were four games decided by under a goal, do you think the game needs fixing?
Quote:
"No, I'm pretty happy with where it's at".

What do you think you can learn from tonight's loss?
Quote:
"We did a lot well. The message to the boys after that was you can't play three quarters of footy and expect to win against anyone. We did so much right, and when tested in the last quarter we went back to what we knew and we executed better on what we needed to do. We thought we had an answer to Franklin, we thought we had an answer to Aliir that we found late in the third [quarter] and the players were asked to play roles in that and did exceptionally well. We got our noses in front and when you play in a game like that you can't afford to drop off as much as we did in that third. We did enough right to deserve to win the game, but didn't do enough to win it ultimately so there will be some stuff we will like out of that, but that's pretty hard to talk about at the moment when you have bested the opposition".

The guys seemed to rally after Franklin's early last quarter goal?
Quote:
"Yeah, we had the ball in our front half. We showed composure. Cox who was a clear target of the opposition was able to maintain his competitiveness and his focus on his role and attacking the ball in the air and he was really strong there. We turned the ball over in our front half 13 times in that last quarter, had 15 front half stoppages so we played the game where we wanted to play it and kicked enough of the score and hit the post a few times too. Ultimately, we weren't able to get it done in those moments in the end. It was that type of night where a scrabbly score was likely to make the difference in the end and it did. It just wasn't ours".

What did you think of Brodie Grundy's game tonight after dominating in the ruck?
Quote:
"Yeah, Brodes has had a really strong year and he continues to do so. Conditions like tonight and when the game is in tight, he comes into his own. He's improving his aerial work and his work on the ground is as good any ruckman or any player in the comp really. He's had a stellar season and he continues to go from strength to strength".

Is it hard to block out how the ladder is transpiring?
Quote:
"We wouldn't be human if we didn't understand where we sat and what was happening around. We haven't focused on it to this point so we won't be focusing it on now. We play Brisbane in seven days time and it's a game that we want to play four quarters of footy in and get a win in. We will pick our best 22, and prepare as well as we possibly can and we will want to get back on the winners list".

On the injury front, you will want to get some back. Will Jeremy Howe be right to play?
Quote:
"Potentially. We'll go through the week and have a look at where Howey's at. Have a look at where De Goey's at. Our VFL play tomorrow so we'll have Aish, Oxley, Smith, Fasolo, Blair and a host of a handful of other boys that will put their hands up and have a look at where they can contribute up top".

What did you make of Buddy's game?
Quote:
"It looked like he was moving better than last week. He's a dominant player and when he's up and about he's pretty hard to stop. He was a thorn in our side. He kicked 40s point of 73 and 10 scoring shots out of 18 so I think he was pretty important for them".

You had a debutant playing on Buddy showing how bright his future is?
Quote:
"He [Madgen] was the other key back we had in our side. Ultimately, we ended up pulling Mihocek out of our front half and that probably let Aliir off the chain a little bit, so it took us a while to find a solution to that so that impacted in some way. It's pretty hard to ignore".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-08-04/buckley-reflects-on-narrow-defeat

K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:31 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
K wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Touch wood tonight is as bad as our injuries get ... hopefully get Howe and De Goey back next week. Moore has hardly played this season.

Hope that Howe is not in Liam Picken territory and will be back next week.

But I doubt JdG will be back next week. Next week, the hope is he can start a program of reloading. If that goes well, he may be 1-2 weeks off playing. If it goes badly, ...., well...

Bucks said in the presser they will look at both of them.

Having just read the transcript (thanks, Jezza), I'd say JdG won't play (for the reasons above). If it will have been zero load for two weeks, then they will need time to reload and assess the reloading.

Last edited by K on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:32 am

^ thanks Jezza !
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:12 am

Valiant effort to get back in the game. It was pretty clear we'd struggle after having to reshuffle the deck at half time. So sick of watching us capitulate due to players going down early. The game is so $$%^%%$ cruel atm, I've just about had a %$^%$$% full! It's a lot easier to take when you know you're not good enough but we are and last night $$%^%%$ hurt!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:16 am

Jezza wrote:
Buckley's Press Conference:

[......".[/i]

Thanks Jezza.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:22 am

Well, that sucked

Big T wrote:
I thought Sidey was shocking tonight. Twice with the ball he blazed away at critical moments without thinking, and several terrible handballs.

This. I get that there was nobody forward both times but hold it up FFS, especially after he couldn't make the distance the first time. And people are complaining about Mason missing shots

Mayne was good, again, but why put him to full forward (in the last quarter) when he had kicked 1.7 for the year?

Made it too hard for ourselves in the 3rd, decent comeback considering but didn't deserve to win it. Very disappointing

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:23 am

So we're back to Bucks being great in the media.

FMD!!!

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:25 am

foreigner wrote:
It's interesting to note how many times Mayne has manage to hit the posts. It's not funny - if he can be so successful in hitting a post with deadly accuracy, maybe we should ask him to imagine a post in the middle and aim for it

But which post does he aim for?
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:26 am

think positive wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
This team of ours is all heart. At least our percentage won't take a thrashing.

Well done to Grundy, Tay, Murray, Varcoe, Sier, Greenwood and the wonderful WHE.

For some reason, Pendles couldn't kick tonight and Sidey only really got going in the last quarter.

Exactly.

We will bounce back next week, we should get Goey back and Howe. We will kill em.

So we might not make top 4, who knows, its still wide open. $$%^%%$ hell some of you, we played the ladder leader a week ago, and ran them almost to the end, and now travelling to a ground that has the biggest home ground advantage there is, and our fifth pick defender had to play on a firing buddy. wash your mouths out. Take a breath. Last year we were all in shock that our coach got more time, and here we are, we will make finals. Some really disgusting comments in the last pages of the game thread, and in here.

No one player cost this game. Not Sidey, not cox, not Buckley. 2 $$%^%%$ points. Thats home ground advantage right there .

Go Pies, Im standing side by side, and Ill be there next week when we kick Brisbane back to the boon docks.

spot on
despite a huge injury toll they have never given up
so why should we on them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16   

Jump to: