Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How Pies can secure Lynch AND May

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutts wrote:
GCS have a massive cultural problem. Dew has to have a huge clean out and get in quality players who are professional and/or want to play in Queensland.
We take Lynch as a free agent. GCS get pick #3 as compo.
We then offer 'overs' for May. By offering 'overs' GCS get a little extra for Lynch (not officially of course).
First round pick plus players to replace the deadwood Dew has delisted. As we are pushing for a flag the players will need to be fringe players looking for more opportunity elsewhere, no-one is going to want to leave the Pies now that we are coming into a Premiership window to play at the Suns.
Target QLD players to begin with (not sure who on our list comes from QLD), but Oxley, Smith. Wills (looks like he has be passed by Sier). Fasolo, give them an x-factor player who can get fans coming through the gates. Perhaps an experienced player as well to offer onfield coaching assistance like Blair, Reid or Goldsack.

It's pretty much the right philosophy, I think. Not sure we can do it with players though. If we'd just come off a flag then maybe some of the older guys would look around but it just isn't going to happen on this side of flag 16. It would have to be picks.

Now I don't think that May is worth 2 1st round picks, especially as we are looking more and more like having one of those picks at about #11. It is important to remember that this isn't a Lever (2 first rounders) or Treloar deal (2 first rounders - a 2nd), where a 22 year old jet wanted to transfer. These are players with very little upside left and maybe as few as 4 or 5 years left in the game. If a 22 year old Treloar was worth a top 10 pick and a future first rounder with a 2nd rounder coming back, then that is more than enough for a 25 year old May. This is the sweetener for the Lynch deal and it's modest enough that the AFL won't call shenanigans. In fact, with the way the greater footballing public thinks, they will crap on about how we robbed them.

So Collingwood gets: Lynch, May and say pick 30
GCS gets: picks 3, 11, and a future first rounder.

If they want an experienced body up there or someone who can show their kids how to prepare then sure.

We get our book ends for the next 5 years and points for the NGA players

Great for us. Not ideal for GCS but hey... they have 2 captains and they both want out. That's their issue - not ours. They're obviously doing something hideous up there and we're scoring them 3 first rounders for it. Also, their 10 year ruckman that they got for 2 3rd rounders says hi. We've behaved well in the past. Now it's time to call in on that.

I think that this trade lessens the impact of what they've got going on up there at the moment
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:30 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Lynch will just be the pick 3 compo (and GCS will hope for a priority pick as well) wherever he goes.

If May wants out with a year to go on his contract then GCS will want a return.

Just trying to think if we can utilise FA compo and likely GCS salary ca0 space to our advantage here.

We could trade either or both of 2018 first and 2019 first. Our 2018 first is potentially compromised by Quaynor (eg if he is bid on before our first pick) so it may be more attractive to trade that pick than the 2019 first. On the other hand, this draft is said to be a super draft.

In addition to our two third round picks we may get a compo pick for any of our FAs who are signed (Goldsack, Blair and Fasolo). Let’s assume that Blair and Fasolo are around a second or third round compo pick each in a normal environment.

GCS will have so much salary cap space if they lose Lynch and May it won’t be funny and they have to spend 95% minimum. So, how about this ...

GCS offer Blair an overpriced contract (they have to spend dollars anyway) for a term of say 3 years, enough to earn a first round compo pick (possibly) when taken with say Fasolo signing at WCE or FRE.

COL then trade 2018 first rounder (around #15) plus the compo pick (next pick, say #16) plus Oxley and Smith for May.

GCS end up with 2 first rounders and 3 mature players who would all be starting 22 if they picked a side to win in 2019.

Oxley and Smith are fringe players for us who are ex Queenslanders and may hold some attraction for GCS. Blair would provide necessary experience (a premiership player!) for GCS.

This could work whether or no5 we get Lynch. As to whether we can fit both under the cap ... we just don’t know, but I’d expect current players to be flexible to maximise chance of a premiership.

If you are hoping to bring Lynch in as an FA and let Fas go the same way, you won't get any compo for Fas. The contract for Lynch will be way too big.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Caroline Wilson came out tonight on Footy Classified very confident as a Richmond supporter and senior media identity that Tom Lynch will be at Richmond. Perhaps we start dusting off our file on Stephen May.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 am

Albert Parker wrote:
Caroline Wilson came out tonight on Footy Classified very confident as a Richmond supporter and senior media identity that Tom Lynch will be at Richmond. Perhaps we start dusting off our file on Stephen May.

The media guy over at Talking Footy stated as much then went on to say we are now looking at others including Beams.

Personally I doubt he or we would be that interested in resuming our relationship and when you consider the trade cost involved it doesn't make much sense to use it on a type we have no pressing need for.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 am

Albert Parker wrote:

They said the same thing on 7s Talking Footy.

Reckon we'll go for May and Beams now. With Cox and the surprise packet Mihocek, both likely to continue to improve, our need for another tall forward is not as pressing as it might have seemed a few months ago. If we can sort out Moore's hammy's and continue to develop McLarty, our big men stocks should be fine.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:32 am

I don't reckon we need May and Lynch. Forget Reid, he, Wells and Elliot are luxuries when fit from now on, but Mihocek, Cox and Moore (he'll be alright) are our key position players, with Howe (and Shaz in 2020) mobile CHB options. Kelly will come in to the mix in three years or so, but lets not think about him now; he's a replacement for retirements etc.

IF you put Lynch at FF and May at FB, you have to have Cox at CHF so you've only got room for one of Moore or Mihocek at CHB, the other gets squeezed out . This isn't to say that May or Lynch isn't better than Mihocek BUT they probably don't have as much upside to the team as getting a first round midfielder to replace Pendlebury in 2 years, for example, or another hard nut midfielder to replace Greenwood now.

The question isn't would Lynch AND May make us better, but how much the cost for how much improvement. Essentially with both of them we push out a pretty good player into the twos. That's assuming Reid isn't fit and we haven't mentioned McLarty. I'd like to get one of them, or both if we lose Moore I guess, but I wouldn't sell the farm for Lynch TBH, especially looking to 2020 when we get Sharenberg back, we'd be way too top heavy.

We'd be ok with May, then look to securing a couple of young key position players over the next couple of years to replace Cox, May and Mihocek in 4 or 5 years.

- Ben
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:48 am

Lynch to Richmond, right behind Treloar Rolling Eyes
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:32 am

Caro said treloar was off to Richmond too but she couldn't take it to the bank she is making up crap. She does really hate us
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:42 am

Geek wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Lynch will just be the pick 3 compo (and GCS will hope for a priority pick as well) wherever he goes.

If May wants out with a year to go on his contract then GCS will want a return.

Just trying to think if we can utilise FA compo and likely GCS salary ca0 space to our advantage here.

We could trade either or both of 2018 first and 2019 first. Our 2018 first is potentially compromised by Quaynor (eg if he is bid on before our first pick) so it may be more attractive to trade that pick than the 2019 first. On the other hand, this draft is said to be a super draft.

In addition to our two third round picks we may get a compo pick for any of our FAs who are signed (Goldsack, Blair and Fasolo). Let’s assume that Blair and Fasolo are around a second or third round compo pick each in a normal environment.

GCS will have so much salary cap space if they lose Lynch and May it won’t be funny and they have to spend 95% minimum. So, how about this ...

GCS offer Blair an overpriced contract (they have to spend dollars anyway) for a term of say 3 years, enough to earn a first round compo pick (possibly) when taken with say Fasolo signing at WCE or FRE.

COL then trade 2018 first rounder (around #15) plus the compo pick (next pick, say #16) plus Oxley and Smith for May.

GCS end up with 2 first rounders and 3 mature players who would all be starting 22 if they picked a side to win in 2019.

Oxley and Smith are fringe players for us who are ex Queenslanders and may hold some attraction for GCS. Blair would provide necessary experience (a premiership player!) for GCS.

This could work whether or no5 we get Lynch. As to whether we can fit both under the cap ... we just don’t know, but I’d expect current players to be flexible to maximise chance of a premiership.

If you are hoping to bring Lynch in as an FA and let Fas go the same way, you won't get any compo for Fas. The contract for Lynch will be way too big.

Yes you are correct - my bad. If we get Lynch or another significant FA it will affect our FA compensation (possibly eliminate it). So my first and second last sentences aren't correct. Nonetheless, this could work if we don't land Lynch or another FA (Beams is under contract I think so would be a trade).

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:59 am

GreekLunatic wrote:
Caro said treloar was off to Richmond too but she couldn't take it to the bank she is making up crap. She does really hate us

I don't think Caro is making it up. I think we are all a bit naïve thinking that Treloar hadn't spoken to Richmond at the time. Simple case of Treloar speaking to Buckley and changing his mind about going to Richmond. Same situation as Lynch. Richmond have been into Lynch for the last two years. I think Lynch is considering his options and evaluating our offer before he makes his mind up. If you believe what you read from various sources Richmond are the frontrunners for securing Lynch's services. Hawthorn have cleared some of their salary cap to make room for Lynch as well and are considered third behind us.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
GreekLunatic wrote:

I don't think Caro is making it up. I think we are all a bit naïve thinking that Treloar hadn't spoken to Richmond at the time. Simple case of Treloar speaking to Buckley and changing his mind about going to Richmond. Same situation as Lynch. Richmond have been into Lynch for the last two years. I think Lynch is considering his options and evaluating our offer before he makes his mind up. If you believe what you read from various sources Richmond are the frontrunners for securing Lynch's services. Hawthorn have cleared some of their salary cap to make room for Lynch as well and are considered third behind us.

So you think we haven't been into Lynch since last year, now that's a little naive as we had absolutely no forward line 12-18 months ago.

I suspect we are also into Cameron too.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:47 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
GreekLunatic wrote:

If I was Lynch my choice would be Hawthorn. Better fit than Richmond and us.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:07 am

Apparently even Collingwood think he’s going to Richmond.

Per SEN this morning

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:32 am

In all honestly I liked the idea of getting him but I'm pretty ambivalent. Right now, our forward line is generating scores of over 100 points with regularity. I'm not so sure I'd want to upset the apple cart and not to mention the flow-on effect of who gets squeezed out with limited cap space. I'm relieved that it's reported he's going to Richmond. He'll upset their balance big time.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 pm

All I'm sensing is people looking at softening the blow if Lynch rejects us.

Why on earth would we not want a key forward via free agency? a young gun that was a Pies fan.

Worried about the long term impact of losing players? let's win a flag & see who wants out?

The time is now!

May, yes we need him but he'll be free next year and we have little room to move via trade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: