Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How Pies can secure Lynch AND May

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing we need to remember is you have to give something up to get something, Oxley won’t cut it. We sorely need another reliable pillar down back. Thomas has been wonderful this year but do we need a goal kicking mid or a CHB? Thomas is far easier replaced than a Shazza or Dunn.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:55 am

Pies2016 wrote:
The “ easiest “ way to trade May into the club, is to trade out a 2019 draft pick or two. G C S can then use that future pick ( s ) to negotiate with other clubs.

Too many people are too quick to say let’s send X there and we will take Y back.
It’s not that easy negotiating a trade between two clubs where players from both teams are involved. BOTH players have to agree to it and surprise, surprise, BOTH clubs have to agree to it too.

Our interest in securing both Kelly and Quaynor on draft night certainly limits our ability to trade out any of our 2018 draft picks.

Add into that, if we were to trade out our 2019 first rounder, we are then obliged under AFL rules, to use a first round pick in the 2018 draft ( I’m pretty sure this is correct but happy to be corrected if someone is convinced otherwise )

Absolutely agree with everything you say. I'm having heart palpitations just thinking about the risk of trading Thomas to Gold Coast. He loves it at Collingwood. The thought of a clean out at the club to secure Lynch and May would come at extremely high cost if it's not done right. The team has been busting its guts out in recent games against the odds with player injuries. What would it do for team morale to sell out player future careers. Gubby did our cleanout 2 years ago. The list at the moment is in a stable phase. I can't see us making more than 3-4 changes to prepare for this draft. The players we lose I would expect to come from natural attrition. Reid is almost done. Kirby has health issues. Oxley, Wills and Broomhead have had ongoing injury concerns. We save some currency letting those players go. The salary cap allowance has increased. Factor all that in we may have enough room to secure both Lynch and May but I would expect some players to have to take a pay cut. Trade wise Lynch is a restricted free agent so GC get pick 3 in a super draft. That's enough for me. I wouldn't budge from that position. If GC play hard ball they can keep their disgruntled player who they have just stripped of the captaincy. With May a future round one draft pick would do it for me.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:50 am

Josh Thomas just signed 3 year deal - he aint going anywhere.

May should be traded in only for future draft picks, possibly include Langdon or Elliott but neither of those two would have much currency.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:17 pm

That's right. Langdon is "priceless"
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:32 pm

I wouldn’t be quick to trade out Moore even if he is injury prone. KPP swingmen don’t grow on trees.
Jpies 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Haff wrote:
The thing we need to remember is you have to give something up to get something, Oxley won’t cut it. We sorely need another reliable pillar down back. Thomas has been wonderful this year but do we need a goal kicking mid or a CHB? Thomas is far easier replaced than a Shazza or Dunn.

See, I'm not even sure that's the case. Certainly Wells and even Pendlebury won't be around too much longer (perhaps Pendlebury, but you'd think his time in the midfield can only decrease from here). That will force us to play JDG in the midfield, along with Stephenson eventually, in the centre. Which has probably always been the aim, anyway.

We only need to look to last season to see how badly a lack of genuine small fowards can hurt us, which makes Thomas far more valuable than I think most people give him credit for.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Jpies wrote:
Haff wrote:

See, I'm not even sure that's the case. Certainly Wells and even Pendlebury won't be around too much longer (perhaps Pendlebury, but you'd think his time in the midfield can only decrease from here). That will force us to play JDG in the midfield, along with Stephenson eventually, in the centre. Which has probably always been the aim, anyway.

We only need to look to last season to see how badly a lack of genuine small fowards can hurt us, which makes Thomas far more valuable than I think most people give him credit for.

Agree. In VERY simple terms, I don’t see a lot of value in trading out a 40 goal small mid / forward ( and steak knives ) to bring in a 60 goal forward.
If it gets to the stage where we are forced to trade for Lynch, then I’m happy to move on and load up elsewhere.

Lynch only comes into play when we already have the ball, just like our other stay at home forwards this year, all of which are doing a good job. I would much rather put our time into May, who at least comes into his own when we don’t have the ball and then helps us to win it back.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:26 pm

The best way? Both via free agency. Means we’d have to wait a year for May of course. Let’s see if we get Lynch first.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Jpies wrote:
Haff wrote:

Agree. In VERY simple terms, I don’t see a lot of value in trading out a 40 goal small mid / forward ( and steak knives ) to bring in a 60 goal forward.
If it gets to the stage where we are forced to trade for Lynch, then I’m happy to move on and load up elsewhere.

Lynch only comes into play when we already have the ball, just like our other stay at home forwards this year, all of which are doing a good job. I would much rather put our time into May, who at least comes into his own when we don’t have the ball and then helps us to win it back.

You’re not referring to Fasolo?

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Excellent OP, 88. Thanks. Smile

Question: What's the salary cap amount for each club ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Cheers: $12.45 million 😀
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Lynch will just be the pick 3 compo (and GCS will hope for a priority pick as well) wherever he goes.

If May wants out with a year to go on his contract then GCS will want a return.

Just trying to think if we can utilise FA compo and likely GCS salary ca0 space to our advantage here.

We could trade either or both of 2018 first and 2019 first. Our 2018 first is potentially compromised by Quaynor (eg if he is bid on before our first pick) so it may be more attractive to trade that pick than the 2019 first. On the other hand, this draft is said to be a super draft.

In addition to our two third round picks we may get a compo pick for any of our FAs who are signed (Goldsack, Blair and Fasolo). Let’s assume that Blair and Fasolo are around a second or third round compo pick each in a normal environment.

GCS will have so much salary cap space if they lose Lynch and May it won’t be funny and they have to spend 95% minimum. So, how about this ...

GCS offer Blair an overpriced contract (they have to spend dollars anyway) for a term of say 3 years, enough to earn a first round compo pick (possibly) when taken with say Fasolo signing at WCE or FRE.

COL then trade 2018 first rounder (around #15) plus the compo pick (next pick, say #16) plus Oxley and Smith for May.

GCS end up with 2 first rounders and 3 mature players who would all be starting 22 if they picked a side to win in 2019.

Oxley and Smith are fringe players for us who are ex Queenslanders and may hold some attraction for GCS. Blair would provide necessary experience (a premiership player!) for GCS.

This could work whether or no5 we get Lynch. As to whether we can fit both under the cap ... we just don’t know, but I’d expect current players to be flexible to maximise chance of a premiership.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:41 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Lynch will just be the pick 3 compo (and GCS will hope for a priority pick as well) wherever he goes.

If May wants out with a year to go on his contract then GCS will want a return.

Just trying to think if we can utilise FA compo and likely GCS salary ca0 space to our advantage here.

We could trade either or both of 2018 first and 2019 first. Our 2018 first is potentially compromised by Quaynor (eg if he is bid on before our first pick) so it may be more attractive to trade that pick than the 2019 first. On the other hand, this draft is said to be a super draft.

In addition to our two third round picks we may get a compo pick for any of our FAs who are signed (Goldsack, Blair and Fasolo). Let’s assume that Blair and Fasolo are around a second or third round compo pick each in a normal environment.

GCS will have so much salary cap space if they lose Lynch and May it won’t be funny and they have to spend 95% minimum. So, how about this ...

GCS offer Blair an overpriced contract (they have to spend dollars anyway) for a term of say 3 years, enough to earn a first round compo pick (possibly) when taken with say Fasolo signing at WCE or FRE.

COL then trade 2018 first rounder (around #15) plus the compo pick (next pick, say #16) plus Oxley and Smith for May.

GCS end up with 2 first rounders and 3 mature players who would all be starting 22 if they picked a side to win in 2019.

Oxley and Smith are fringe players for us who are ex Queenslanders and may hold some attraction for GCS. Blair would provide necessary experience (a premiership player!) for GCS.

This could work whether or no5 we get Lynch. As to whether we can fit both under the cap ... we just don’t know, but I’d expect current players to be flexible to maximise chance of a premiership.

The inference that Blair has any trade currency kills your point of view unfortunately

Lutts 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:31 pm

GCS have a massive cultural problem. Dew has to have a huge clean out and get in quality players who are professional and/or want to play in Queensland.
We take Lynch as a free agent. GCS get pick #3 as compo.
We then offer 'overs' for May. By offering 'overs' GCS get a little extra for Lynch (not officially of course).
First round pick plus players to replace the deadwood Dew has delisted. As we are pushing for a flag the players will need to be fringe players looking for more opportunity elsewhere, no-one is going to want to leave the Pies now that we are coming into a Premiership window to play at the Suns.
Target QLD players to begin with (not sure who on our list comes from QLD), but Oxley, Smith. Wills (looks like he has be passed by Sier). Fasolo, give them an x-factor player who can get fans coming through the gates. Perhaps an experienced player as well to offer onfield coaching assistance like Blair, Reid or Goldsack.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:44 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Jpies wrote:
Haff wrote:

You’re not referring to Fasolo?

Definitely not ! Was referring to Thomas and a couple posters suggesting he could be part of a Lynch trade.
No way. They would need to throw May in as well 😉
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: