Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Parole for convicted terror plotters

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

KenH wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/28/go-ahead-white-australia-eat-your-kebabs-while-you-remind-us-of-your-values

Your father is a stateless Palestinian man who is invited to Australia on a Sydney University scholarship.
Your mother escapes Nasser's Egypt to come to a properous, stable country.

Which way will you look at the country that has given your family so much?
Your options are:

a) Australia is a wonderful place that has given my family safety, opportunity and wealth.
Even better, it has allowed me, the child of muslim immigrants, to become a lawyer, sociologist and successful author.

b) Australia is a racist hellhole run by evil crackas.

If you choose option (b) please feel free to buy a ticket, get on a plane and f**k off.

I would've thought that he could answer A and still understand that B can be close to be being correct as well? I prefer he stays!

Really, Ken ? They seem fairly incompatible, no ? Would “a racist hellhole run by evil crackas” allow the “ child of muslim immigrants, to become a lawyer, sociologist and successful author after giving her a scholarship to Sydney Uni ? You write that (B) May be “close to being correct0. Have you lived in many racist hellholes run by evil crackas and does this look close to those ?

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:09 pm

Mugwump wrote:
KenH wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/28/go-ahead-white-australia-eat-your-kebabs-while-you-remind-us-of-your-values

Your father is a stateless Palestinian man who is invited to Australia on a Sydney University scholarship.
Your mother escapes Nasser's Egypt to come to a properous, stable country.

Which way will you look at the country that has given your family so much?
Your options are:

a) Australia is a wonderful place that has given my family safety, opportunity and wealth.
Even better, it has allowed me, the child of muslim immigrants, to become a lawyer, sociologist and successful author.

b) Australia is a racist hellhole run by evil crackas.

If you choose option (b) please feel free to buy a ticket, get on a plane and f**k off.

I would've thought that he could answer A and still understand that B can be close to be being correct as well? I prefer he stays!

Really, Ken ? They seem fairly incompatible, no ? Would “a racist hellhole run by evil crackas” allow the “ child of muslim immigrants, to become a lawyer, sociologist and successful author after giving her a scholarship to Sydney Uni ? You write that (B) May be “close to being correct0. Have you lived in many racist hellholes run by evil crackas and does this look close to those ?

I can understand hearing what our political leaders have to say about Sudanese people and how some "illegal boat people" are treated, I can see that some immigrants would feel that Australians can be racist and evil. Also we can be very helpful to some immigrants. I suppose it all depends on what you want to hear? I would like to think that answer A is right but I also understand that it is not always true.
Not sure I have communicated this well? Just put yourself as a Sudanese person and listen to our politicians and media and try to feel what they would, would you feel happy?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:12 pm

I don't really have a mother.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:40 pm

If I were Sudanese I’d be more worried that youth from my community were 70 times proportionately overrepresented in serious crime statistics, and concerned for the victims and the impact this was having on my community’s reputation. That representative politicians were expressing the concerns of their electors about this problem (while advocating law enforcement not vigilantism) would seem to me perfectly proper.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Mugwump wrote:
If I were Sudanese I’d be more worried that youth from my community were 70 times proportionately overrepresented in serious crime statistics, and concerned for the victims and the impact this was having on my community’s reputation. That representative politicians were expressing the concerns of their electors about this problem (while advocating law enforcement not vigilantism) would seem to me perfectly proper.

I agree, and I think if it wasn't for the SJW's pushing victimhood on them, that's what they'd do.

The Sudanese already do a lot in their community to get engagement and help people assimilate and more power to them. They should treat this as an opportunity because the holes/flaws in what's happening are being laid out by a minority. Don't get defensive, recognise there's a problem and work to fix it.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I agree, and I think if it wasn't for the SJW's pushing victimhood on them, that's what they'd do.

The Sudanese already do a lot in their community to get engagement and help people assimilate and more power to them. They should treat this as an opportunity because the holes/flaws in what's happening are being laid out by a minority. Don't get defensive, recognise there's a problem and work to fix it.

That expressions of concern by political leaders about a problem unarguably borne out in official statistics should be considered evidence of a “racist hell hole run by evil crackas” shows just how extremist and disordered much thinking is in this area. The fact that someone as essentially moderate as Ken should endorse it shows how habituated to this extreme thinking we have become.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:16 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
That's just silly, Stui. One can have the discussion without needing to be a walking one-man episode of All in the Family. For example, you can and do. You should expect it of other people, as well.

Thank you for that.

FWIW, Skids and I aren't that far apart in ideology, I just try to use the rapier whereas Skids favours the broadsword. My fall back has been the 12 pound sledgehammer, but I'm working on that. Embarassed

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:31 am

stui magpie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Absolutely, but that is operating at the adult level. Most conversations in our society now happen at the child level. Only things like AFL football operate resolutely at the level where you are responsible for what you do, and openness, honesty and learning are encouraged. For many in our therapeutic society, everything that happens to me is the fault of someone else (or even better, someone else’s ancestor, for which their heirs are somehow responsible).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: