Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The OX

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
MagpieBat, I keep hearing Murphy's name being mentioned as the one who may come in. What are your thoughts as you would have seen him play?

Injuries are allowing us to get games into players, we will reap the rewards in years to come.

Murphy at Moment looks Quite a Bit off being AFL Ready

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:34 pm

McLarty can come in and play forward if we decide to send Mihocek to defence.

The added advantage of playing McLarty is obviously his ability to go through the ruck which as Cox gains more experience and his output as a forward increases would appear beneficial.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:15 pm

Culprit wrote:
MagpieBat, I keep hearing Murphy's name being mentioned as the one who may come in. What are your thoughts as you would have seen him play?

Injuries are allowing us to get games into players, we will reap the rewards in years to come.

I like him. And when you see him put it onto the chest of a leading forward, coming out of defence with his wheels, you will too. But his time is not this year. Very lean, very raw. You throw in against a hardened team like the Swans and they will snap him in two.

I hope we resist the urge.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:17 pm

swoop42 wrote:

The added advantage of playing McLarty is obviously his ability to go through the ruck which as Cox gains more experience and his output as a forward increases would appear beneficial.

Makes us too slow/immobile up forward if the both of them play.

McLarty should be in defence. But I'm not sure there's a matchup for him down there this week either...

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:32 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

McLarty should be in defence. But I'm not sure there's a matchup for him down there this week either...

I would have thought he'd be no slower than old man Reid who we planned to partner with Cox up forward.

Mihocek is hardly a gazelle either.

To me it all comes down to what end of the ground we value Mihocek more at presently as he would appear the logical option to replace Scharenberg/Dunn.

So do we plug a hole in defence and open up one in attack or do we stick with a tall forward combination we like and trial Madgen.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:41 pm
Post subject: Re: The OXReply with quote

The Average Tourist wrote:
I am finding all of the Ox or Madgen confusing. I understand that McLarty has been playing Ruck Follower for most of the year but I am confused why he does not appear to be considered (although he was an emergency last week).

I really like the kid he provides some good size, loves the body on body and he has a good pair of hands a reliable kick who can play at both ends and the part I really like is he runs at our goals.

But he does not appear to be considered

He's a forward in 2018's system.

He should be playing key back, as strong last-line payer who can also read the ball in flight and contest in the air, but that's not my call. I liked how he developed down there last year.

But they want the cover option for Cox, around whom there have been whispers regarding soreness/carrying injury in recent weeks. If the Yank misses, they will likely play McLarty. That is, IF they learned anything from the West Coast fiasco...

By process of elimination (deductive reasoning, that is, not the state of the injury list although the description could just as easily apply), that leaves Madgen as the only actual key defender left in the cupboard who can take a man. As it so happens, he has shown something resembling an aptitude for it.

Oxley, on the other hand, is a one-paced flanker who really plays as a defensive winger in the VFL who sits a kick behind play to provide the defence with aerial cover and a link option (hence why his disposal stats are always healthy) who simply is not and never will be a 1v1 player. Put him in defence in the seniors and his man will simply take him to the last line...

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:55 pm

swoop42 wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

I would have thought he'd be no slower than old man Reid who we planned to partner with Cox up forward.

Mihocek is hardly a gazelle either.

To me it all comes down to what end of the ground we value Mihocek more at presently as he would appear the logical option to replace Scharenberg/Dunn.

So do we plug a hole in defence and open up one in attack or do we stick with a tall forward combination we like and trial Madgen.

More likely to be the latter. Could also require Howe to "play tall" and re-shuffle to find another back flanker.

They would have hated Reid going down, but they struck paydirt with Mihocek, who is just mobile enough to suit the role of CHF without slowing the front 6 down, so they will keep Mihocek there where possible.

McLarty is simply not an apples-for-apples replacement for Mihocek in that front 6. He doesn't have the same mobility profile and he also doesn't have the tank for CHF. Where his form has lifted in the VFL the last few weeks is from having Jackson Starcevich come back into that team and play the CHF (Mihocek) role, playing and contesting higher up the ground, thereby allowing McLarty to play that deeper reference point bail-out tall forward who relief rucks (Cox) role.

Of course, they may decide to pull the trigger on Mihocek to defence and go smaller in attack by bringing in everyone's favourite in Crocker. That would be fun, wouldn't it...?

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:02 am

Surely Fasolo is the player we bring in if we want a smaller marking option.

With Elliott most likely out for the year it's time some respect and faith was shown to Fasolo.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:09 am

They rate Crocker higher because of his defensive work. It's basically the Jarryd Blair effect.

My read is Fas' papers are as good as stamped. They might give him a call-up just to get one last look at him, just to see if he can still fit, but really, he's been done out of a job by De Goey when he is there, Thomas, Hoskin-Elliott and the young fellow in your avatar...

K 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:23 am

swoop42 wrote:
I would have thought he'd be no slower than old man Reid ...

Has Reid really slowed down noticeably in the last 12-18 months? Obviously, he's injured a lot and no longer recovers quickly, but I don't really know about his pace...
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:27 am

MagpieBat wrote:
They rate Crocker higher because of his defensive work. It's basically the Jarryd Blair effect.

My read is Fas' papers are as good as stamped. They might give him a call-up just to get one last look at him, just to see if he can still fit, but really, he's been done out of a job by De Goey when he is there, Thomas, Hoskin-Elliott and the young fellow in your avatar...

And yet they would have found room for a very similar player in Elliott.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:27 am

I still have faith in Reid. I think he looks lost playing up forward. Send him to CHB where he's more comfortable.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:35 pm

swoop42 wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

And yet they would have found room for a very similar player in Elliott.

Probably, but Jamie is a better player and there's only room now for one of them, max. But Elliott, by virtue of his body, should no longer be considered automatic best 22 in any event.

Take your best shot...

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:48 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Surely Fasolo is the player we bring in if we want a smaller marking option.

With Elliott most likely out for the year it's time some respect and faith was shown to Fasolo.

I think the club is happy with our forward line as it is. The only change needed this week is to replace Shaz, which I think will be with Madgen. The other possible change would be to drop Brown and bring back Sier, who only missed last week through injury.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Madge is excellent, but Ox is long overdue for a run. I don't know what Buckleys problem is, but the guy is a first class defender. His first year he was getting over 100 DT points each week for his first 6, & his form in the Magoos this year more than warrants giving him a shot. If he doesn’t get one in the next 4 he'll be dumped. Unfortunately the loudest fools around here don't have a CLUE about footy players. Wills could be a star, J. Smith has found a niche up front & was getting better numbers than Swanny in his first season. Its just ridiculous to think you know a player after 10 games. Young guys WILL make mistakes, & most aren't ready for the big time in their first season. Guys like Stevo are the exception, not the rule. And frankly, I don't give a good goddam why you weird people hate Blairy so much. Anyone would think he burnt an effigy of Jock Mchale while singing "We are the Navy Blues..." He was BOG in the tight game on Sunday & has much needed experience.

For me its OX or Madge, but Ox would get the nod by dint of his experience, he runs the backline in the twos, which of course means congrats to Madge on his first. He has been excellent in everything Ive seen of him, hope he shuts 'em down.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: