Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who is our biggest threat to winning the Flag In 2018?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

eddiesmith wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
According to a lot of currently very embarrassed Nicksters, it's our coach, who they wanted sacked last year. Rolling Eyes

Apparently Bucks is a dud and we should have got Bolton or even Dew instead. Shocked

We haven't beaten anyone yet, besides Bolton would probably be a much better coach, our last premiership coach couldn't do anything with Carlton so you cant really read much into their results!

As for big Stuey Dew, lets see if Buckley learnt anything from the supercoach when we go north next week...

If we cant beat Sydney then maybe Dew is a far superior coach and we stuffed up....

Staggers me how anyone can still knock Bucks, after our year so far, we have improved in all areas, he has us now playing an exciting brand of football, I will take the words of Matty Lloyd and Carey, two absolute superstars, who both say Bucks is now a great coach, over yours, anyday. Surprised Surprised

We have improved, Ill give you that, in previous years we wouldnt beat the likes of Adelaide, Essendon, North that occupy the lower rungs of the ladder and we would be down in our usual spot below them all. Probably have lost to the GC or Lions as well, on the plus side at least he finally found out how to beat Carlton...

But if he was a great coach, surely we could beat some of the teams in the lower half of the 8? 1 win from 6 games against the top 9 teams in the comp isnt a great record with 3 more games to come, only 1 of which looks a possible win.

Its hard to have any confidence in finals where Melbourne is the only other possible finalists we might be able to beat

We beat Adelaide when they were in the 8
We beat the Dee's when the media had built them up to be near premiership equal fav's along side the Tigers
We lost to GWS with injuries ruining any chance we had
There's a old adage you can only beat what's put in front of you each week
Each and every week (bar round 1) we've at a minimum been competitive for the majority of games
On current form we would beat Sydney Port Dee's Hawks so that's half the 8
Other contenders like Cats North Essendon we have covered easily
So really it's on Tigers GWS & West Coast who are on a level with us or above us
GWS is the side I fear most there best is another level to everyone but depends on injuries and form of there guns
Tigers we know what we are going to get but this weekend will tell how close we are to them. We are down a few players from our best 22 but that's the challenge in front of us
Run them really close or beat them and then I think we are a better than 50/50 chance
Tigers have had a dream run on the injury front and haven't lost any of there key planks for more than a couple weeks.
Imagine if they lost Martin (Treloar) Rance (Dunn/Reid) Cotchin (Wells) Riedwoldt (Moore/Elliott) and then another 3 fringe players (Aish, Faz, Goldie) I bet they wouldn't be sitting in there current position

We've done well to deal with our injuries and find ways to win games

We might be 1 injury from tipping point but we do have troops coming back so we might have some really fresh legs coming in over the next few weeks which could give us a boost ahead of finals.
White Black n Blood 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:12 pm

So sick of all the "they haven't beat anyone"crap.

This week will be a big test. I think the score flattered us a little bit last time we played the Tigers, but I also think we're a lot better now than we were then and I think they're the same team they were back then.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
According to a lot of currently very embarrassed Nicksters, it's our coach, who they wanted sacked last year. Rolling Eyes

Apparently Bucks is a dud and we should have got Bolton or even Dew instead. Shocked

We haven't beaten anyone yet, besides Bolton would probably be a much better coach, our last premiership coach couldn't do anything with Carlton so you cant really read much into their results!

As for big Stuey Dew, lets see if Buckley learnt anything from the supercoach when we go north next week...

If we cant beat Sydney then maybe Dew is a far superior coach and we stuffed up....

Staggers me how anyone can still knock Bucks, after our year so far, we have improved in all areas, he has us now playing an exciting brand of football, I will take the words of Matty Lloyd and Carey, two absolute superstars, who both say Bucks is now a great coach, over yours, anyday. Surprised Surprised

We have improved, Ill give you that, in previous years we wouldnt beat the likes of Adelaide, Essendon, North that occupy the lower rungs of the ladder and we would be down in our usual spot below them all. Probably have lost to the GC or Lions as well, on the plus side at least he finally found out how to beat Carlton...

But if he was a great coach, surely we could beat some of the teams in the lower half of the 8? 1 win from 6 games against the top 9 teams in the comp isnt a great record with 3 more games to come, only 1 of which looks a possible win.

Its hard to have any confidence in finals where Melbourne is the only other possible finalists we might be able to beat

We beat Adelaide when they were in the 8
We beat the Dee's when the media had built them up to be near premiership equal fav's along side the Tigers
We lost to GWS with injuries ruining any chance we had
There's a old adage you can only beat what's put in front of you each week
Each and every week (bar round 1) we've at a minimum been competitive for the majority of games
On current form we would beat Sydney Port Dee's Hawks so that's half the 8
Other contenders like Cats North Essendon we have covered easily
So really it's on Tigers GWS & West Coast who are on a level with us or above us
GWS is the side I fear most there best is another level to everyone but depends on injuries and form of there guns
Tigers we know what we are going to get but this weekend will tell how close we are to them. We are down a few players from our best 22 but that's the challenge in front of us
Run them really close or beat them and then I think we are a better than 50/50 chance
Tigers have had a dream run on the injury front and haven't lost any of there key planks for more than a couple weeks.
Imagine if they lost Martin (Treloar) Rance (Dunn/Reid) Cotchin (Wells) Riedwoldt (Moore/Elliott) and then another 3 fringe players (Aish, Faz, Goldie) I bet they wouldn't be sitting in there current position

We've done well to deal with our injuries and find ways to win games

We might be 1 injury from tipping point but we do have troops coming back so we might have some really fresh legs coming in over the next few weeks which could give us a boost ahead of finals.

This is truly funny. you can only beat who you play is true when you actually beat who you played. We are 1-5 against the top 9. Eagles destroyed us (yes we were "in it" for a quarter). Tigers destroyed us (yes we were on a short break but they won by 7 goals). Hawks and Cats comfortably had our measure. Giants was a close game. we were in it all the way.

Its true we look fantastic against the bottom 9 sides. Its also true that other teams have slipped up against those same sides and we have not. I wonder if that is the Buckley intensity, concentration and effort shining through at long last?

As for the assertion that we are better than Port, Sydney, Hawthorn and Melbourne, well, i'm pretty sure we are 1-1 against those teams. The good news is that we will get an answer to this question pretty soon.

Finally, please let's not use injuries as an excuse. They didn't put an astrerix on the Geelong premiership in 2011 due to our long injury list in the GF? Not sure they ever have and pretty sure they wont do it this season either.

Treloar and Dunn are really the only two players of substance we are missing (and even Dunn is coverable). That is it. Excuses are for losers.

As for comparing Cotchin (prime of his career) and Wells (a known old and broken commodity), well finally i am without words.....

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 pm

Thanks E, saved me a post!
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:16 am

White Black n Blood wrote:

This week will be a big test. I think the score flattered us a little bit last time we played the Tigers, but I also think we're a lot better now than we were then and I think they're the same team they were back then.

Disagree re score flattering us last time we played. It flattered the tigers, no doubt about it. Think about the undeserved double goal they received in the first; then the injuries we sustained; then the fact we were still in it early in the last - we fought hard and the 7 goal result was not reflective of the true tightness of the game

tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 am

E wrote:
Hawks and Cats comfortably had our measure.

Disagree re cats - they really failed to put us away - we had 2 on the bench for most of the 2nd half; Menegola kicks goals out of his backside from 50m; they had 2 extra days break on us while we had our 4th game in 18 days
I'm sure it would be different on a more level playing field (e.g. now)

E wrote:
As for the assertion that we are better than Port, Sydney, Hawthorn and Melbourne, well, i'm pretty sure we are 1-1 against those teams. The good news is that we will get an answer to this question pretty soon.

The Hawthorn loss was round 1, our lowest point of the season. We've come a long way since then, and I don't think that result has any significance now...

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:09 am

tbaker wrote:
E wrote:

Disagree re cats - they really failed to put us away - we had 2 on the bench for most of the 2nd half; Menegola kicks goals out of his backside from 50m; they had 2 extra days break on us while we had our 4th game in 18 days

E wrote:

The Hawthorn loss was round 1, our lowest point of the season. We've come a long way since then, and I don't think that result has any significance now...

All of that is surely true, but you are clutching at straws at little here.

I want to be clear. I believe we are on the verge of greatness. I don't think we have yet proven that we are great (or in the conversation of great) and i'm not sure we've proven to be as good as Richmond, WCE and GWS. I'm not even sure we have proven we are the equal of Sydney or Port either. I do think we have shown a fantastic consistency to bring our best often enough to beat the lesser teams in the comp and we have also proven that we can hang tough with the elites of the competition at least for portions of the game. I think against WCE in particular, we showed that the margin for error is very small. We missed some chances and thereafter we had no chance! Great teams own the game long enough that they can cover for a few mistakes in front of goal.

I'm excited to see more (but i need to see more). Really looking forward to next 4 weeks.

And i really want to start thinking like an elite team. That means no excuses for draws, no excuses for injuries, no excuses for how many days we had off. We are good enough or we are not. We win or we lose. That's it.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Like the Tigers of last year, we are getting better each week at the pointy end of the season. Sure, we are yet to prove ourselves against the best, but we have shown enough already to be confident that when we play to our best, we can match it with any team in the comp. But there's no point talking about it, we have to do it. This Saturday provides us with a great opportunity to do just that. It's true that we will probably be a better team next year and more so in 2020, but currently we are sitting 3rd on the ladder, and have every reason to expect to finish in the top 4. Do that, and we must seize the opportunity to win the flag this year. We can do it. I think we will do it. Go Pies!
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:02 pm

E wrote:
tbaker wrote:
E wrote:

E wrote:

All of that is surely true, but you are clutching at straws at little here.

Clutching at straws to suggest that the result would be different if we were to play Geelong and Hawthorn again? I think not - I have 100% confidence in us being able to beat them...easily

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Like the Tigers of last year, we are getting better each week at the pointy end of the season. Sure, we are yet to prove ourselves against the best, but we have shown enough already to be confident that when we play to our best, we can match it with any team in the comp. But there's no point talking about it, we have to do it. This Saturday provides us with a great opportunity to do just that. It's true that we will probably be a better team next year and more so in 2020, but currently we are sitting 3rd on the ladder, and have every reason to expect to finish in the top 4. Do that, and we must seize the opportunity to win the flag this year. We can do it. I think we will do it. Go Pies!

i'm with you Rudey. Its been a long time since i was excited for the weekend's game on TUESDAY!

magirl Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:11 pm

Ourselves. It is so much in the head and self belief.
White Black n Blood 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:58 pm

tbaker wrote:
White Black n Blood wrote:

Disagree re score flattering us last time we played. It flattered the tigers, no doubt about it. Think about the undeserved double goal they received in the first; then the injuries we sustained; then the fact we were still in it early in the last - we fought hard and the 7 goal result was not reflective of the true tightness of the game

I think they were far and away a better team than us. They absorb like I've only seen Hawthorn do. We were throwing everything at them and they just took it on the chin and were still out in front at 3/4 time. If they kick straight to that point, we would've been dead in the water.

The last quarter was a bit more reflective of where we were at. That said, we are in a much better place now and I expect a much closer game.

drew1602 Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:08 pm

De Goey's crook leg !!
Treloars stuffed Hamstrings !!
Dunn's bung Knee
Elliots Back related everything
Reid's everything !!
Wells' stuffed foot !!!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:09 pm

drew1602 wrote:
De Goey's crook leg !!
Treloars stuffed Hamstrings !!
Dunn's bung Knee
Elliots Back related everything
Reid's everything !!
Wells' stuffed foot !!!

....and let's not forget we've apparently got a shit coach as well. Rolling Eyes
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:45 pm

Maybe the surface at the Holden Centre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: