Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Treloar, Elliot, Aish and Moore

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
I was just going to make a post about this:

I'd actually say Treloar is the one no doubt in if he's healthy. I'd say Elliot is pretty close and the op is forgetting Fasolo and Reid.

I'm assuming Wells and Goldsack are both done, regardless of the rumour mills / club spin.

I'd say one of Moore and Reid has to come back. Scharenberg has a spot in our 22, but he should *never* again be asked to stand a key forward. NEVER. He is probably the worst one on one defender in the entire comp, and basically an automatic shot on goal conceded if put in that situation. I lean towards Moore at the moment. The other alternative is one goes back, one goes forward, but I wouldn't do that, unless Cox is injured.

I think Elliot should come back. I'd say this would give JDG more time to play in the midfield, where I think he's at his best. He's a mid who goes forward, not a full time forward. I don't want to see Elliot and Fasolo playing together, that combo has never really worked, they're just too similar to each other.

So the question is who goes out:

Greenwood - To me, he should never get a game unless he's used as a tagger, which, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to happen much. He doesn't get much of the ball and he generally doesn't use it well. He's basically a very poor man's Taylor Adams.

Varcoe - Basically another low possession guy who doesn't use it very well. Right now, he's a guy with decent speed and defensive pressure who doesn't do much. Isn't this Jarryd Blair?

Daicos - certainly won't get dropped on yesterday's form, but can he keep doing that? Another low possession guy, but at least he uses it pretty well even if it is only over a shortish distance.

Sier - Only mentioning him on the "last man in / first out" theory, but I like him a lot and I think he's cemented a spot even if Treloar comes back. Big body, tackles well, uses it reasonably well although, again, he doesn't get much of it. I don't see a future star here, but he can be a good long term player.

Murray - I agree with AN Inkling here. He should stay in. I'd definitely play him over Appleby and Greenwood in the back 6. Yeah, he's frustrating, but his run and carry is needed in this team.

Mayne - I'm just about done with him. How many times yesterday did he get the ball in space and start running backwards? He slows our ball movement down whenever he touches it. I'd bring in Aish for him. Aish doesn't get it much, but something good normally happens when he does.

Mihocek - Hasn't quite locked up a best 22 spot yet, but he's close. Something good always happens when he gets the ball. I just wish he got it more than about 8 times a game. Still, he can take a mark and is a great kick and isn't too slow, so I'd play him over Reid / Moore as the second tall.

I'd say our 22 should look as follows come Finals time:

B: Murray Moore Langdon
HB: Scharenberg Howe Crisp
M: Treloar Pendlebury Phillips
HF: De Goey Mihocek Stephenson
F: Hoskin Elliot Cox Elliot
R: Grundy Sidebottom Adams
INT: Maynard Sier Aish Daicos

Edit: Left out Josh Thomas. He can replace Aish.

You may have noticed we have had no Moore and at times only Dunn to mind key forwards. Now we have no Dunn. To say Scharenberg is the worst one on one defender is absurd. Because of injuries he has had to mind players 10kg heavier and 5-10cm taller. What do you expect? He's done a sterling job so far under the circumstances and will only get better. Sheesh.

Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Aish was starting to play some seriously good football before he got injured.. he’ll go straight in. I’ve got a lot of time for him.
Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Aish was starting to play some seriously good football before he got injured.. he’ll go straight in. I’ve got a lot of time for him.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:52 pm

Where did he or she’ve get time for him?
Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:55 pm

HAL wrote:
Where did he or she’ve get time for him?

Where? Pretty sure it was on my couch watching the game when it happened.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Pretty much, eh?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:02 pm

With players like Elliott, Moore, Fasolo and Aish returning from injury I think Varcoe is one who should make way in coming weeks

Varcoe will produce a couple of flashy moments per game or an occasional strong tackle that gets people excited but if you take a look at his stats it's an indication of a player who has been in decline for quite sometime.

Varcoe simply doesn't hit the scoreboard enough for a forward for mine and when he does is to inaccurate.

He has a total of 3.6 from 11 games this season, kicked 2.1 goals from 8 games in 2017 and 6.13 from 17 games in 2016.

Even in his first season when he was lauded he still only managed 10.10 from 22 games.

This is miles off his highs of 31.13 and 31.17 for Geelong in 2010/11.

Even his much vaunted tackle pressure has declined from an average of 4.05 in 2015 to 2.64 now.

This has also been mirrored with a decline in average possession from 17.18 in 2015 to now 12.73.

We have better options IMO.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 pm

swoop42 wrote:
With players like Elliott, Moore, Fasolo and Aish returning from injury I think Varcoe is one who should make way in coming weeks

Varcoe will produce a couple of flashy moments per game or an occasional strong tackle that gets people excited but if you take a look at his stats it's an indication of a player who has been in decline for quite sometime.

Varcoe simply doesn't hit the scoreboard enough for a forward for mine and when he does is to inaccurate.

He has a total of 3.6 from 11 games this season, kicked 2.1 goals from 8 games in 2017 and 6.13 from 17 games in 2016.

Even in his first season when he was lauded he still only managed 10.10 from 22 games.

This is miles off his highs of 31.13 and 31.17 for Geelong in 2010/11.

Even his much vaunted tackle pressure has declined from an average of 4.05 in 2015 to 2.64 now.

This has also been mirrored with a decline in average possession from 17.18 in 2015 to now 12.73.

We have better options IMO.

To think that we need Varcoe for his scoring is absurd. watch the game more carefully. Last thing we need is his scoring. He is no longer the player he used to be, but boy does he do some nice things in a game.

His pressure acts. His hitting packs front and center at just the right time. His sure hands in a contest. These skills set him apart from others on our team.

We have goal kickers.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Varcoe is our only genuine front and centre player. He stays.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 pm

We have 15 players who are clearly best 22 and healthy. In position, they are as follows:

Maynard [gap] Crisp
Scharenberg Howe Langdon
Phillips [gap] Sidey
DeGoey [gap] Stevo
WHE Cox Thomas

Grundy Pendles Adams.

of the 7 others, this weekend, those places were filled by: Mihocek, Murray, Varcoe, Mayne, Greenwood, Daicos and Sier.

Vying for those 7 spots (in a race against time) are the following 8: Moore, Elliot, Treloar, Aish, Reid, C. Brown, Goldsack and Appleby.

I honestly don't think Blair, Smith, Crocker, Wills or Fasolo are going to crack a gig (and i think all will be gone at year end unless they are contracted) and i think we all understand that Dunn, Wells, Kirby and Broomhead are done for the year.

If McLarty, Murphy and little Brown will get a go its just for experience. They are players for the next campaign.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Bleedblackanwhite wrote:

I'm not so sure. Possession is nine tenths as they say, and for all his knockers (including me), Mayne is doing a good job on the wing and probably brings a little more tackling physicality to the role. However, if Mayne loses form, then Aish will be ready to take his place.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Jamie Elliott was reported on Saturday. It got thrown out today:

https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1021258815772086272

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Varcoe is our only genuine front and centre player. He stays.

Have not done much doing that Lately

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Moore scans revealed no damage. He is good to train this week.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Moore scans revealed no damage. He is good to train this week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: