Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies rout Roos - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
E wrote:
To all the Langdon knockers, were you watching today??? Boy he's a good player.....

I watched. Didn't notice him doing all that much. What did you see?

That probably says more about you than him (you probably never noticed Presti either). Or maybe not being noticed means he was doing his job perfectly. Langdon was superb. At least 10 cases of him reading the play to cut off an attack (either through intercept mark, timely fist or just simply shutting down a space). People think its just a coincidence that when the ball goes over the top, Langdon just happens to be backing back to mop up. It isnt. He is a classic modern defender. As is Scharenberg by the way. They are two absolute beauties.

I will also add that Maynard is also becoming a first class defender. His hands are very sure which is allowing him to have composure while corralling the mayhem ball. I know he has a great boot, but watch carefully and you will see that his sure hands are probably his greatest asset.

The back 5 of Howe, Crisp, Scharenberg, Maynard and Langdon are all gems. Goal stopping machines. They work perfectly together.

Murray and Moore arent quite at their level (maybe because they havent been down there enough). Both of these players bring other intagibles, but neither is as good at stopping the opponent from scoring goals or gaining momentum.

The interesting thing is that we notice their blunders. And there are some. The blunders are so obvious because they are the exception rather than the rule.

If it says something about Inky, it must also say something about me, because I thought he was solid and serviceable, but nothing more. I also don't share your enthusiasm over Scharenberg. He's an absolutely dreadful one on player and he can't seem to lift his eyes more than about 15 metres downfield. He has his attributes (composure, short kicking, intercept marking / play reading) and deserves his spot in the 22, but he is nowhere near a star yet.

Also, your assertion that Maynard has a "great boot" is....questionable to say the least.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:02 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Fwiw, I thought Langdon played a terrific game. He is underrated because there is nothing flashy about his game. But he does his job, week in, week out, is good in the air and is a good decision maker.

I am also glad to see Murray back in the team, but reckon Bucks did the right thing sending him back to the VFL to work on improving the defensive side of his game.

Btw, I reckon Adams doesn't get enough recognition for his courageous and tireless work ethic all over the ground. sure, he turns it over a couple of times every week, but he also creates numerous attacking moves. He plays like a captain.

Generally agree, particularly regarding Murray and Adams. I thought Langdon was ok but not great. He sometimes can just take so long to make a decision with ball in hand that he gets caught, or very close to it and has to fire out a quick handball to anyone (including opposition or boundary line). Yes his disposal efficiency yesterday was very high, but that's because 12 of his 16 disposals were handballs - a lot easier to hit a target 5-10m away with a handball. Not bagging him, just saying...

Last edited by tbaker on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:04 pm

What was pleasing was the key players in our rise to where we are -the likes of Dunne and Treloar to mention two and we can still get a side who has the right attitude
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:29 pm

tbaker wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Fwiw, I thought Langdon played a terrific game. He is underrated because there is nothing flashy about his game. But he does his job, week in, week out, is good in the air and is a good decision maker.

I am also glad to see Murray back in the team, but reckon Bucks did the right thing sending him back to the VFL to work on improving the defensive side of his game.

Btw, I reckon Adams doesn't get enough recognition for his courageous and tireless work ethic all over the ground. sure, he turns it over a couple of times every week, but he also creates numerous attacking moves. He plays like a captain.

Generally agree, particularly regarding Murray and Adams. I thought Langdon was ok but not great. He sometimes can just take so long to make a decision with ball in hand that he get's caught, or very close to it and has to fire out a quick handball to anyone (including opposition or boundary line). Yes his disposal efficiency yesterday was very high, but that's because 12 of his 16 disposals were handballs - a lot easier to hit a target 5-10m away with a handball. Not bagging him, just saying...

TL was fantastic yesterday - if you'd watched his opponent play the previous week, you'd understand just what a sound performance that was. He reads the game so well and runs the angles so perfectly that opposition players don't get their hands on the ball against him kin situations where they do against others. He wasn't "OK", he was a big part of why we won (as were Howe and Scharenberg). There's a reason Langdon and Howe played more game time than any other Collingwood players yesterday.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
He wasn't "OK", he was a big part of why we won.

Sorry for disputing the "facts" - didn't realise there can only be one right opinion

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:59 pm

It's possible for there to be a diversity of opinions - but not about the Future Captain.

Watch the game again - first bounce, North gets the centre clearance, ball bombed long, Brown has Howe done cold, Langdon into the hole in front of him - scoring chance gone, Collingwood defend. Then, if you watch the rest of the first quarter you will see that Langdon cleans up 5 of their first 8 inside 50s, sets up our second goal with a magnificent kick into the corridor, sets up another scoring chance (which Mayne squanders) and by the time his man finally gets a kick, it's on the North half-back flank and they trail by 6 goals with the game over.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Great win really. After last week an excellent response and shows were a top 8 team - by beating the teams likely to finish 9 to 12. We need a lot to go right for us to go deep into September - everyone does - but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that elliot, Moore, Treloar and Aish come back and make meaningful contributions to the side, which would add a lot to
This team IMO. The team first ethos was well displayed yesterday and I’m so proud of the boys for not just winning against the injury odds (again) but the way they won was magnificent. Hopefully we can start to get some things going in our favour and have a real crack at finals footy.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes, Ben. Smile

I would've been happy with any kind of win against North, but to win by 11 goals ? Fantastic.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
E wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
E wrote:
To all the Langdon knockers, were you watching today??? Boy he's a good player.....

That probably says more about you than him (you probably never noticed Presti either). Or maybe not being noticed means he was doing his job perfectly. Langdon was superb. At least 10 cases of him reading the play to cut off an attack (either through intercept mark, timely fist or just simply shutting down a space). People think its just a coincidence that when the ball goes over the top, Langdon just happens to be backing back to mop up. It isnt. He is a classic modern defender. As is Scharenberg by the way. They are two absolute beauties.

I will also add that Maynard is also becoming a first class defender. His hands are very sure which is allowing him to have composure while corralling the mayhem ball. I know he has a great boot, but watch carefully and you will see that his sure hands are probably his greatest asset.

The back 5 of Howe, Crisp, Scharenberg, Maynard and Langdon are all gems. Goal stopping machines. They work perfectly together.

Murray and Moore arent quite at their level (maybe because they havent been down there enough). Both of these players bring other intagibles, but neither is as good at stopping the opponent from scoring goals or gaining momentum.

The interesting thing is that we notice their blunders. And there are some. The blunders are so obvious because they are the exception rather than the rule.

If it says something about Inky, it must also say something about me, because I thought he was solid and serviceable, but nothing more. I also don't share your enthusiasm over Scharenberg. He's an absolutely dreadful one on player and he can't seem to lift his eyes more than about 15 metres downfield. He has his attributes (composure, short kicking, intercept marking / play reading) and deserves his spot in the 22, but he is nowhere near a star yet.

Also, your assertion that Maynard has a "great boot" is....questionable to say the least.

Taking the game on from full back is a fools errand. taking the game through the corridor from defensive midfield is gold. I am very happy for our last line guys to be considered high efficiency safe boring players. In fact i'll take that every day of the week. 1 good safe short kick in defence can open up the corridor. It is the secret to our improvement. No more risk taking inside defensive 50. Why? because a mistake in defensive 50 is basically a goal to the other team. You all should know this. Collingwood won a premiership relying on defensive 50 turnovers. we invented it for gods sake.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Cam wrote:
"He was actually crook last night and was crook during the game so it was a fair response from him and showed some real toughness so we rapt with his ability to handle that challenge; the psychological challenge and then the physical challenge of not being at 100% but still go out and do his job. That's a contribution to team".

I reckon that's Bucks' free hit right there. That message is for another player.

Message for whom?!
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:15 pm

K wrote:
Cam wrote:
"He was actually crook last night and was crook during the game so it was a fair response from him and showed some real toughness so we rapt with his ability to handle that challenge; the psychological challenge and then the physical challenge of not being at 100% but still go out and do his job. That's a contribution to team".

I reckon that's Bucks' free hit right there. That message is for another player.

Message for whom?!

Hammy is a bit different to the runs ...

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 pm

Donny wrote:
Yes, Ben. Smile

I would've been happy with any kind of win against North, but to win by 11 goals ? Fantastic.

ME too, I was kinda pissing my pants pre game, but when we arrived at the G, my first game of the year. -only got a 4 game mship- my fears were allayed and we went onto a great win. !! Terrific team effort, not one poor player, and kudos to Murray and young Josh Daicos, I was watching em thru binoculars, as I always watch our games live, and they have the goods, make no mistake.

Bring on the toothless Tigers. !!!!!! Razz Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:15 am

K wrote:
Cam wrote:

Message for whom?!

Think it through. Some of the other answers to questions in the presser allude to it as well. Justified or not, time will tell.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:07 am

^ I'm not sure that's what he meant... (I mean, see MM's comment, for example.) A bit unfair to both of them to assume that...
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:18 am

E wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
E wrote:

I feel like you purport a USA style “fake news” on this site and simply need to call you out on this repeated distorting of the truth. Did these events not occur yesterday:

1. Maynard’s alleged “sure hands” muffed a mark 20 metres out from goal via a Murray pass, thus resulting in a turnover goal to North.

2. Did Langdon attempt a 30 metre kick across CHB only to hit a North opponent lace out thus resulting in a critical turnover goal?

I can go on and on.......

# is it I only whom witnessed these brain farts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13   

Jump to: