Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies rout Roos - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
Well, I enjoyed that.

Now for the biggest test.

Beat Richmond and make no mistake we can win the flag.

Go Pies!

I don't think next week's game determines whether we can win the flag. if we can only beat them one in 4 times, maybe we should keep our powder dry this week. If we are unlucky enough to finish 4th instead of 5th, we might need to play them twice in the finals to win the flag.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:08 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
E wrote:
To all the Langdon knockers, were you watching today??? Boy he's a good player.....

I watched. Didn't notice him doing all that much. What did you see?

That probably says more about you than him (you probably never noticed Presti either). Or maybe not being noticed means he was doing his job perfectly. Langdon was superb. At least 10 cases of him reading the play to cut off an attack (either through intercept mark, timely fist or just simply shutting down a space). People think its just a coincidence that when the ball goes over the top, Langdon just happens to be backing back to mop up. It isnt. He is a classic modern defender. As is Scharenberg by the way. They are two absolute beauties.

I will also add that Maynard is also becoming a first class defender. His hands are very sure which is allowing him to have composure while corralling the mayhem ball. I know he has a great boot, but watch carefully and you will see that his sure hands are probably his greatest asset.

The back 5 of Howe, Crisp, Scharenberg, Maynard and Langdon are all gems. Goal stopping machines. They work perfectly together.

Murray and Moore arent quite at their level (maybe because they havent been down there enough). Both of these players bring other intagibles, but neither is as good at stopping the opponent from scoring goals or gaining momentum.

The interesting thing is that we notice their blunders. And there are some. The blunders are so obvious because they are the exception rather than the rule.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:16 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Cam wrote:
One of THE great chokes of all time by the Dees down at the Cattery

It was a great game of footy. The Dees were a bit stiff to lose it.

Nah, up by 30 half way through the last... then had the ball in their forward line with 32 seconds to go... This board would melt down if it was us. Cats must have kicked 7 goals in the last 12 or so minutes, Dees kicked one. And Petracca attempted one with a barrel from 80 metres with 2 mins to go.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:20 am

I agree, people don’t notice the defenders. All you have to do is look at the oppositions inside 5o compared to their score, this backline is really getting into sync, it’s a real shame Dunne went down, but this week gave me hope we can cover it. Defending isn’t about getting the ball as much as it’s about stopping the other team getting it, that doesn’t akways equate into touches. If the opposition are to scared to kick it to your direct player in case you stop it, you’ve done a big part of your job. Especially if it’s a key forward.

Shazza is just getting better and better, love him, he’s caff and Goldie rolled into one.

Also Mayne is earning his keep. Kudos to him, it’s not easy to work your way back up, especially in a new team.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:23 am

Yes, I agree with you about Mayne... he was good today without being flashy. He's hard and has improved his decision making as he has adjusted to a non-Ross-the-Boss gameplan.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:52 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

How did you see that?
Quote:
"Good solid team performance. Strong over the majority of the game. When we were down in some areas, we were able to buffer it by being strong in others. I thought it was a really balanced performance for us over the four quarters".

Last week you didn't capitalise on your good start, whereas this week was the opposite. Did you do anything different at training or any different focuses?
Quote:
"We took some of our chances last week, but not all of them. You always leave something in the tank. You never get 100% of your chances but we were able to create enough and finish enough early to put a gap in the game. I thought credit to our defensive structures, and in particular, our back six which we were able to hold up really well. They probably could have kicked a bit straighter earlier, but I thought on the whole our defensive mechanisms were pretty consistent today".

How tempted were you to throw Mihocek down back when Moore when out?
Quote:
"We had belief in Howe's ability to get the job done against Brown and trust in our forwards and mids to be able to put enough pressure on to give the guys back there the support they needed to be able to bring the ball to ground often enough. Daw, Brown and Ziebell still had their moments, and still had supply but 44 inside 50s is a pretty good team defensive effort and it helps the backs do what they need to do".

Mihocek's response after playing on a very good defender in McGovern last week was excellent with a strong first quarter performance.
Quote:
"Yeah, he loves a goal, Checkers. It's a good problem to have as a forward. As you said, we could have put him down back to look at that insofar as a tall balance goes, but we've just loved his work in front of the ball. We know that option is there to put him back when we need to, but he's a competitive animal [whether the] ball is in the air or the ball is on the ground. He's a disciplined role player for us and he brings his strengths to the table minute by minute. His role was crucial and he executed it really well".

How far out did you know that Moore wouldn't play?
Quote:
"We knew probably about 20 minutes before the game, before the start time so probably about ten minutes before we ran out. We made the call three minutes before we ran out".

Do you talk to the defenders as a result of that change or do you trust the likes of Howe to take care of it on their own?
Quote:
"We just shuffled. Change the role set. Daicos came in. We made sure we know who our seventh defensive rotation was. That can happen five minutes into a game as well, so it's not as if it's a scenario that you don't have answers for. We have enough faith and belief in how we go about it and some knowledge on how we want to go about it that you have to move and adapt and we just had to do that and the players were first class at doing so".

Is it the same hamstring for Moore that he's down a couple of times previously?
Quote:
"We don't know if he's hurt his hammy. It was tight. Hopefully it was similar to Cox's last week where we made the call not to play him because of some tightness in it. I can't be 100% sure one way or another so we're going to need to investigate that over the next 48 hours".

Is it the same hammy he was forced out with?
Quote:
"I can't be sure of that either".

There's going to be big anticipation next week against Richmond. How do you see the team placed against the number 1 team in the comp?
Quote:
"I can only really talk about today, and today was as good a team performance we've been put in. I thought we were really solid. We had a lot of contributors to the way we wanted to go about it in all facets. I thought it was a really mature rounded performance from a group of blokes that wanted to respond from last week. We'll project forward sooner enough when we're coming up against the best team in the competition and the reigning premiers. That will be a good opportunity for us to test where we're at. If we continue to focus on how we play as a team, we're always pretty hard to beat".

The last time Richmond played you guys, Damien Hardwick said Collingwood were the best team they had played at that point of the season. How much confidence do you take out of that game when you sat right with them for three quarters?
Quote:
"We'd like to think we've been developed and improved since that point. I dare say looking at Richmond's form that they've been able to do the same. I don't think anyone is hanging their hat on round 6 form especially when you get done by 43 points. We believe in the way we go about it. We've got confidence in our players. Young and old. Tall small. That they can bring their strengths and play the way we want to play for long enough. We're still exploring that and we're still discovering what we're capable of as a team unit. Next week will be just the next opportunity and we want to continue to build on that in the back part of the season".

Does today's result give you more optimism that you can go to another level with a few names returning at the back part of the season?
Quote:
"Yeah, I think I've said it all along that if you bring players that are perceived to have greater talent or improve your talent, that's one thing but it's not actually going to necessarily translate into better football. We have a really strong team first mentality and players are displaying that. Me talking about it means little. The players are displaying it, they believe in it and they're tipping into it. The fact that we may have some players come available in the next couple of weeks even or in the back part of this year is one thing. To be able to come in and play connected team football for four quarters to give us a chance to get results like today well then that's the thing we will focus on. It won't necessarily be about the individuals, but it will be about the way we play together".

Apparently Fasolo and Elliott got through [the VFL] well. Is that what you've heard?
Quote:
"Yeah, and obviously Aish and Blair were the four that were spoken about as returned players. Once again we will get the feedback from our VFL coaches. They had a good win, which is a good start and apparently got through unscathed which is just the next step forward for them".

Any other injuries apart from Moore?
Quote:
"We had some knocks and bruises. I think Stevo copped one in the shin. Few blood rules for them [North], it was a long game wasn't it. But, no I think we're relatively good at this stage".

On the flip side to Moore, that was probably Daicos' best game. What were your thoughts on his performance with short notice?
Quote:
"I thought the mental resilience and toughness; I didn't want to underplay that we shuffled and we were able to do that. Levi [Greenwood] was going to play forward and play back. Daics was not going to play at all, and then played and had to have the conversation about why he was out of the side during the week. The youthful exuberance was great. Came up to me straight after the game and said the feedback he got back from the match committee made a real difference to him and he felt like he was able to action that straight away. He was actually crook last night and was crook during the game so it was a fair response from him and showed some real toughness so we rapt with his ability to handle that challenge; the psychological challenge and then the physical challenge of not being at 100% but still go out and do his job. That's a contribution to team".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-07-21/bucks-as-good-as-weve-been

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:33 am

Watched the game at my house with 3 mates 2 pies supporters and 1 kanga supporter (who now has to mow my yard which happens to be 75 acres with a hand mower due to over confidence)
When I heard we had lost Moore I thought dang last thing we needed was 1 less tall down back
At the first bounce we had Scharenberg on Daw Howe on Brown and Langdon on Zeibel and that's when the bet was made
Considering how out sized our 2 key defenders were on there opponents I thought we did amazingly well to keep them to just 64 points
Yeah they missed some very kick able goals but overall they did well
Don't under estimate the game Crisp played as well he did great impacting some contests and helping out other defenders
We dominated across the ground and they likley had 2 players win against there man overall on the day which highlights how good we were
I didn't read the match day comments until now but there were some pointed questions about Murray and a couple of his errors
The way i see it is his the sort of player who will make a few mistakes but he will also give you a heap of run and set up some goals as well. With experience he will learn to make less errors and make better decisions but overall he has the speed we need especially on the absence of Treloar
Our conversion rate (bar the last quarter) was sensational
Hats off to Daicos who showed loads of good signs today playing on short notice
Voting was hard could have given votes to 10 pies and then still left a couple,out
Overall a really good team performance
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:51 am

Probably our most ruthlessly efficient performance of the year. Defence was outstanding. De Goey is becoming Ablettesque (senior) in the way he just embarrasses opponents. Take out Murray and Adams butchering of the footy and roos probably don't kick a score Shocked
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:06 am

Cam wrote:
Cam wrote:
One of THE great chokes of all time by the Dees down at the Cattery

It was a great game of footy. The Dees were a bit stiff to lose it.

Nah, up by 30 half way through the last... then had the ball in their forward line with 32 seconds to go... This board would melt down if it was us. Cats must have kicked 7 goals in the last 12 or so minutes, Dees kicked one. And Petracca attempted one with a barrel from 80 metres with 2 mins to go.

It was a disgraceful last 10 mins from the Dees, choked on green pastures, should never have dropped that game.

Good for us though

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:10 am

it was pretty funny to watch albeit Hawkins goal celebrations which were making me ill
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:23 am

Thanks Jezza, much appreciated.

And well done Bucks. They need to be warming up the ‘they said you’d never make it’ add! He’s spot on. The Team play is just amazing, and so good to watch. What seems to have been missing for a while at least to the outsider. Very excited to see where we are at next week. Even if we just give them a fright but hey, work hard enough and you can make your miracles happen. We were right with them for three quarters round 6.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:15 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
it was pretty funny to watch albeit Hawkins goal celebrations which were making me ill

How would preinjured Dunn gone against Hawkins last night if Dunn had stuck it up Paul Roos and stayed at the Demons.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:09 pm

E wrote:
If we are unlucky enough to finish 4th instead of 5th...

Huh??? Take the double chance every time. Sure, finish 5th and have an easier final but with massive consequences if we lose. If we win then extremely likely to play the following week in a cut-throat final interstate. A no-brainer that it's better to finish in the top 4...

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:40 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:

How would preinjured Dunn gone against Hawkins last night if Dunn had stuck it up Paul Roos and stayed at the Demons.

SOS could have played on Hawkins and he still would have got those goals, the service was amazing. Only Prestigiacomo in my lifetime might have stopped a couple, because he had the size and the speed, Smile

Thanks Jezza so much for the transcripts! I always look forward to seeing them!

"He was actually crook last night and was crook during the game so it was a fair response from him and showed some real toughness so we rapt with his ability to handle that challenge; the psychological challenge and then the physical challenge of not being at 100% but still go out and do his job. That's a contribution to team".

I reckon that's Bucks' free hit right there. That message is for another player.

Last edited by Cam on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:46 pm

Fwiw, I thought Langdon played a terrific game. He is underrated because there is nothing flashy about his game. But he does his job, week in, week out, is good in the air and is a good decision maker.

I am also glad to see Murray back in the team, but reckon Bucks did the right thing sending him back to the VFL to work on improving the defensive side of his game.

Btw, I reckon Adams doesn't get enough recognition for his courageous and tireless work ethic all over the ground. sure, he turns it over a couple of times every week, but he also creates numerous attacking moves. He plays like a captain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13   

Jump to: