Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies rout Roos - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Daicos was crook last night and today, and throughout the game, which makes his PB effort today even more remarkable.

Its all about pre season, match fitness, and continuity. AFL is an insanely aerobic sport and hard and brutal. Not many kids simply click from day one or two and make the transition. It takes a few years. 3-5 years, after being drafted as 17-18 year olds, puts most players around 21-23 before it all stargets s to fall into place. Sometimes we have to be patient. Christ, most US pro sports teams draftees are 20-21.

Daicos is tracking nicely. His poise in traffic, his ability to hit targets on either leg. Peter taught him well. The ability to kick on the opposite foot, particularly in todays one sided climate, cant be understated.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Daicos is tracking nicely. His poise in traffic, his ability to hit targets on either leg. Peter taught him well. The ability to kick on the opposite foot, particularly in todays one sided climate, cant be understated.

Players who can do this are worth their weight in gold. I imagine his brother will be the same.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Cam wrote:
Never noticed Langdon much on the telecast. Wasn't as influential as last week when he was very, very good in the first half.

I think the measure of the games of the three taller defenders is that Brown, Daw and JZ had 18 scoring shots and 13 goals between them last weeek from about 50 inside 50s. This week, they had 10 for 7 goals from about 45 inside 50s. Collectively, the defence did much better than I anticipated watching last weeks game.

I felt that it was more down to our midfield dominance and forward pressure that the ball didn't come down cleanly to the North forwards. They looked like marking it, and nearly did, every time that it was clean. Our pressure from CHB forward was sensational and finals-like today. We dominated. Our backs, particularly Howe, punched above their weight and did some good things.

83 tackles to their 47 tells a bit of a tale about the pressure we exerted on the ball carrier, real and perceived. Ben Brown also had 5 inside 50s which tells you that he had to go a fair way to get hold of the pill.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Said during the game that Murray's return was very impressive. Showed great confidence despite having spent several weeks in the VFL. Took the game on and was a real positive in the first half.

It was a mixed bag, so there were some mistakes, though with 80% disposal efficiency and with 16/24 disposals being kicks, it's just not factual to say his disposal was awful. The way he plays, there will be mistakes, especially as he's developing but the positive, today, as with most of the year outweighed the negative.

If we really want to make a meaningful run this year, we need to be bold. Playing Murray is a part of that and he should have been in the team for the last month. Selecting anonymous players like Crocker, Appleby or even Daicos is being too conservative. Murray has a serious impact on a game, both positively and negatively at times. So yes, there is risk there but also reward.

Maybe at absolutely full strength I could see Murray missing, but right now he should be in the team. He's a first year player averaging over 22 disposals and makes the game easier for our other running defenders, of which we really only have Crisp and Maynard, simply not enough on its own. Murray gives us more forward 50 opportunities and does it from plays our other players simply aren't capable of. He has flaws but unlike some players we've selected recently (not to be too harsh), he also has strengths.

I broadly agree with your sentiments, but I see his negatives outweighing his positives right now. I think those negatives will also be more obvious and come to the fore in close games against better teams. It is easier to overlook the negatives in a 10 goal win as they didnt cost the game.

Internally I suspect there is concern about his disposal because Buddha made a smart-arse remark to Murray about it in the Glasshouse Cafe last week when I was there. I imagine that is part of what he was meant to work on in the VFL.

His disposal was ok today. What a few of us see our clangers in Murray's game is actually the result of good opposition play in forcing the error. We tend to blame the player rather than praise the actions of the opposition player. If Murray wasn't getting so much of the ball, he wouldn't be exposing himself to being subjected to error. The mistakes which make you cringe are those made when the player is under no pressure such as the poor shot of goal by Varcoe when the handball was there.

There is no doubt at all that the coaching staff had him relegated because of his poor disposal. We dont have to guess or infer things from Buddhas jokes - the VFL coach said so directly in an official comment a few weeks ago.

I don't think there was any question that his poor disposal got him dropped. But he fought his way back and I thought his disposal was good today.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:44 pm

nvm

Last edited by Cam on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Cam wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Cam wrote:
Never noticed Langdon much on the telecast. Wasn't as influential as last week when he was very, very good in the first half.

I think the measure of the games of the three taller defenders is that Brown, Daw and JZ had 18 scoring shots and 13 goals between them last weeek from about 50 inside 50s. This week, they had 10 for 7 goals from about 45 inside 50s. Collectively, the defence did much better than I anticipated watching last weeks game.

I felt that it was more down to our midfield dominance and forward pressure that the ball didn't come down cleanly to the North forwards. They looked like marking it, and nearly did, every time that it was clean. Our pressure from CHB forward was sensational and finals-like today. We dominated. Our backs, particularly Howe, punched above their weight and did some good things.

83 tackles to their 47 tells a bit of a tale about the pressure we exerted on the ball carrier, real and perceived. Ben Brown also had 5 inside 50s which tells you that he had to go a fair way to get hold of the pill.

Does Ben Brown get an I50 every time he walks back 100 paces outside the arc to take a simple 15m set shot?

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Cam wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Cam wrote:

Does Ben Brown get an I50 every time he walks back 100 paces outside the arc to take a simple 15m set shot?

Hahaha!!

Seriously though, he's a pretty straight kick. It must be working for him.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:21 pm

Ben Browns run up is a joke.

Im surprised theres no rule in place to put a maximum run up or maximum distance you can walk back from a mark around the ground. Its quite ludicrous that there isnt. You should get a max distance of 25 metres (for example). At least players in the protected zone get a general feel for where they can stand or loiter after a mark, without some clown walking back far to put them in the infringement zone.

In Ben Browns case, he has 30 seconds before he has to start his run up. His run up is so long that he probably gets a 40 second routine, plus the time of the football in flight. Its a blight.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Donny wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I cant believe how little love there is for Grundys game. His influence was quite remarkable today. Hes as dominant around the contest as any ruckman I have ever seen. I would pick him ahead of Len Thompson, Peter Moore and Darren Jolly in their prime, at the moment. His physical presence is simply steamrolling teams, week after week.

Yes. I notice you gave him your top vote. I couldn't fit him into the first 5.

17 disposals but 13 uncontested. Only 27 hitouts, with many being sharked by the oppo.

Its not about disposals or hit outs. He controls the game physically (in a way that, eg, neither Thompson nor Moore ever did).

I dont know why people get so excited about stats - influence on the game is the thing. Grundy might barely touch the ball but hed still have more impact on the game than 50 Tom Mitchell disposals. As it was, he was involved in better than every third Collingwood scoring chain today and did the heavy lifting as well.

Were you around in the 1970's when Len Thompson was playing the game?

Yes, of course. Why would I express such a view otherwise? I was around in the 60s, too. I saw Thommos entire career. Magnificent player. Grundy is better.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Next week is HUGE.

Will be lucky to get within 10 goals

Thats the spirit,Eddie. Razz

I think Richmond might actually get a bit closer to us than that.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:52 pm

What a wonderful Saturday afternoon at the G. Great game pies.

Brody Mihocek's first quarter.

So much to like.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:52 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Said during the game that Murray's return was very impressive. Showed great confidence despite having spent several weeks in the VFL. Took the game on and was a real positive in the first half.

It was a mixed bag, so there were some mistakes, though with 80% disposal efficiency and with 16/24 disposals being kicks, it's just not factual to say his disposal was awful. The way he plays, there will be mistakes, especially as he's developing but the positive, today, as with most of the year outweighed the negative.

If we really want to make a meaningful run this year, we need to be bold. Playing Murray is a part of that and he should have been in the team for the last month. Selecting anonymous players like Crocker, Appleby or even Daicos is being too conservative. Murray has a serious impact on a game, both positively and negatively at times. So yes, there is risk there but also reward.

Maybe at absolutely full strength I could see Murray missing, but right now he should be in the team. He's a first year player averaging over 22 disposals and makes the game easier for our other running defenders, of which we really only have Crisp and Maynard, simply not enough on its own. Murray gives us more forward 50 opportunities and does it from plays our other players simply aren't capable of. He has flaws but unlike some players we've selected recently (not to be too harsh), he also has strengths.

I love murrays pace and I love his willingness to take the game on and I want him to excel but please .....spare me your stats , stats , stats .........

You can have 90% disposal efficiency but still cause the screw up that costs you the game. Murray today had several telling screw ups which against sides like Richmond won't be gotten away with.

Murray today in the 1st and 2nd helped keep north In it almost on his own.

He absolutely needs to fix some of his decision making and its absolutely factual to say that some of his disposal was appalling ( kick to Maynard in the goal square anyone)

Any way- not to focus on him but more the post which was pointed. I wish him well and hope he can solidify his spot as I love his pace and his little bit of X factor.

As for the win. Top notch and one I didn't expect especially by the margin. Enjoying a few rums tonight to celebrate.

Onwards and upwards from here pies!!

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Grundy was astonishing again today. Dominated the game and had 11 score involvements. 11!!!! When does a ruckman ever do that? He shapes up to be the most influential player who has ever played the game.

People say Gawn could win the Brownlow. Then Grundy could win the Brownlow as well then

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Damien wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

I reckon Sam Murray is best 22 for the reasons you raise. What Id like to see is a look at his kicking by the coaches. Every kick doesnt have to be a bullet pass on the chest. Too often the kick receiver is having to stretch low to get the ball. Fix that and youve got a weapon.

In short I probably should have just said this ^

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:00 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Next week is HUGE.

Will be lucky to get within 10 goals

I think we lose but not by that Much

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13   

Jump to: