Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies rout Roos - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

One of THE great chokes of all time by the Dees down at the Cattery
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:12 pm

One what?
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 pm

GWS beats Port and you can say the teams below us are falling like flies.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Donny wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I can’t believe how little love there is for Grundy’s game. His influence was quite remarkable today. He’s as dominant around the contest as any ruckman I have ever seen. I would pick him ahead of Len Thompson, Peter Moore and Darren Jolly in their prime, at the moment. His physical presence is simply steamrolling teams, week after week.

Yes. I notice you gave him your top vote. I couldn't fit him into the first 5.

17 disposals but 13 uncontested. Only 27 hitouts, with many being sharked by the oppo.

It’s not about disposals or hit outs. He controls the game physically (in a way that, eg, neither Thompson nor Moore ever did).

I don’t know why people get so excited about stats - influence on the game is the thing. Grundy might barely touch the ball but he’d still have more impact on the game than 50 Tom Mitchell disposals. As it was, he was involved in better than every third Collingwood scoring chain today and did the heavy lifting as well.

Were you around in the 1970's when Len Thompson was playing the game?

Yes, of course. Why would I express such a view otherwise? I was around in the 60s, too. I saw Thommo’s entire career. Magnificent player. Grundy is better.

Let's have a poll on Nicks. Thompson will win it.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:26 pm

September Zeros wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Said during the game that Murray's return was very impressive. Showed great confidence despite having spent several weeks in the VFL. Took the game on and was a real positive in the first half.

It was a mixed bag, so there were some mistakes, though with 80% disposal efficiency and with 16/24 disposals being kicks, it's just not factual to say his disposal was awful. The way he plays, there will be mistakes, especially as he's developing but the positive, today, as with most of the year outweighed the negative.

If we really want to make a meaningful run this year, we need to be bold. Playing Murray is a part of that and he should have been in the team for the last month. Selecting anonymous players like Crocker, Appleby or even Daicos is being too conservative. Murray has a serious impact on a game, both positively and negatively at times. So yes, there is risk there but also reward.

Maybe at absolutely full strength I could see Murray missing, but right now he should be in the team. He's a first year player averaging over 22 disposals and makes the game easier for our other running defenders, of which we really only have Crisp and Maynard, simply not enough on its own. Murray gives us more forward 50 opportunities and does it from plays our other players simply aren't capable of. He has flaws but unlike some players we've selected recently (not to be too harsh), he also has strengths.

I love murrays pace and I love his willingness to take the game on and I want him to excel but please .....spare me your stats , stats , stats .........

You can have 90% disposal efficiency but still cause the screw up that costs you the game. Murray today had several telling screw ups which against sides like Richmond won't be gotten away with.

Murray today in the 1st and 2nd helped keep north In it almost on his own.

He absolutely needs to fix some of his decision making and its absolutely factual to say that some of his disposal was appalling ( kick to Maynard in the goal square anyone)

Any way- not to focus on him but more the post which was pointed. I wish him well and hope he can solidify his spot as I love his pace and his little bit of X factor.

Sure, one mistake can be the difference. But any player can make that. Murray going at 80% overall is to show that he's not necessarily more disposed to making a kicking error than others.

The kick to Maynard, which was the worst mistake he made by foot, was not as bad as other recent mistakes. Remember Howe's against Essendon? Nowhere near a Collingwood player. Langdon's short pass going over Mayne's head?

Murray's pass to Maynard actually got to him on the full. Maynard's mistake to drop it was almost as bad as the kick. The kick was too short, sure, but it's not like he actually missed him like the two examples above.

I don't think Murray's main weakness is going to be his kicking. He setup a few goals for us in the first half as well and we would not have been a better team were he not playing. His main weakness right now is his ability in the contest.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:27 pm

Cam wrote:
One of THE great chokes of all time by the Dees down at the Cattery

It was a great game of footy. The Dees were a bit stiff to lose it.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:31 pm

What an awesome birthday weekend, and win of course. I was curious about what the response would be this week after last week's debacle and we stood up when we needed to. The critics will bag us cos we haven't beaten anyone of note but we've achieved so much this year under under adversity with many of our best 22 out injured. Finals are looking good and who knows how far we can go.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:40 pm

September Zeros wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
... it's just not factual to say his disposal was awful. The way he plays, there will be mistakes, especially as he's developing but the positive, today, as with most of the year outweighed the negative.

I love murrays pace and I love his willingness to take the game on and I want him to excel but please .....

You can have 90% disposal efficiency but still cause the screw up that costs you the game. Murray today had several telling screw ups which against sides like Richmond won't be gotten away with.

Murray today in the 1st and 2nd helped keep north In it almost on his own.

He absolutely needs to fix some of his decision making and its absolutely factual to say that some of his disposal was appalling ( kick to Maynard in the goal square anyone)

Yes, Murray has had kicking & decision-making problems in the VFL, too. And the Murray-Maynard fiasco was not due to taking the game on. At the other end of the scale, the WHE mark made good his bad kick. Maybe if it's an ordinary player rather than WHE, the kick is just marked by one of the two defenders in front.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:55 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Said during the game that Murray's return was very impressive. Showed great confidence despite having spent several weeks in the VFL. Took the game on and was a real positive in the first half.

It was a mixed bag, so there were some mistakes, though with 80% disposal efficiency and with 16/24 disposals being kicks, it's just not factual to say his disposal was awful. The way he plays, there will be mistakes, especially as he's developing but the positive, today, as with most of the year outweighed the negative.

If we really want to make a meaningful run this year, we need to be bold. Playing Murray is a part of that and he should have been in the team for the last month. Selecting anonymous players like Crocker, Appleby or even Daicos is being too conservative. Murray has a serious impact on a game, both positively and negatively at times. So yes, there is risk there but also reward.

Maybe at absolutely full strength I could see Murray missing, but right now he should be in the team. He's a first year player averaging over 22 disposals and makes the game easier for our other running defenders, of which we really only have Crisp and Maynard, simply not enough on its own. Murray gives us more forward 50 opportunities and does it from plays our other players simply aren't capable of. He has flaws but unlike some players we've selected recently (not to be too harsh), he also has strengths.

Well said.

The performance of Murray was fine for a player in his 50th game let alone 10th.

He'll make a couple of errors but that's expected from a guy who is a play maker.

To beat a Richmond or win an unlikely flag we need players like Murray, Moore and Elliott added to the 22 before finals.

I hope we have the sense to keep him in the side from here on out.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:58 pm

Nearly wrote:
I enjoy your posts ThinkPositive. Thoughts are with you.

Sorry to read about your mother in law TP. At least Collingwood gave you something to cheer about. More wins to come hopefully.

Cam wrote:
All the best TP.

RudeBoy wrote:
All the best TP.

Thanks Guys, much appreciated, cheers xxx

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:00 am

WarrenerraW wrote:
What an awesome birthday weekend, and win of course. I was curious about what the response would be this week after last week's debacle and we stood up when we needed to. The critics will bag us cos we haven't beaten anyone of note but we've achieved so much this year under under adversity with many of our best 22 out injured. Finals are looking good and who knows how far we can go.

Happy birthday! what a win for you!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:02 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Donny wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I can’t believe how little love there is for Grundy’s game. His influence was quite remarkable today. He’s as dominant around the contest as any ruckman I have ever seen. I would pick him ahead of Len Thompson, Peter Moore and Darren Jolly in their prime, at the moment. His physical presence is simply steamrolling teams, week after week.

Yes. I notice you gave him your top vote. I couldn't fit him into the first 5.

17 disposals but 13 uncontested. Only 27 hitouts, with many being sharked by the oppo.

It’s not about disposals or hit outs. He controls the game physically (in a way that, eg, neither Thompson nor Moore ever did).

I don’t know why people get so excited about stats - influence on the game is the thing. Grundy might barely touch the ball but he’d still have more impact on the game than 50 Tom Mitchell disposals. As it was, he was involved in better than every third Collingwood scoring chain today and did the heavy lifting as well.

Were you around in the 1970's when Len Thompson was playing the game?

Yes, of course. Why would I express such a view otherwise? I was around in the 60s, too. I saw Thommo’s entire career. Magnificent player. Grundy is better.

Let's have a poll on Nicks. Thompson will win it.

1 for Grundy. He is more of an all round player. that could be the thing though, the game seems to be played by all round players, one trick ponies aint so popular now. He marks, tackles, shepherds, rucks and goals. hes far better than Gawn, Best in the league right now. And Cox just makes him even better.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:39 am

Thomson was the best tap ruckman I’ve ever seen, but Grundy is a better all round player imo.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:41 am

That’s my view.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:41 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
I don't think Murray's main weakness is going to be his kicking. He setup a few goals for us in the first half as well and we would not have been a better team were he not playing. His main weakness right now is his ability in the contest.

As Tony Shaw said [or, at least, meant to say], "His brain is not as fast as his [feet]." It's hard making decisions on the run (literally) --- much easier after intercept marks (e.g. Scharenberg). Murray has turned the ball over again and again in the VFL. It's not an accident. Some of his kicks look like they have a nice, low trajectory and go straight to opponents. And those are short kicks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13   

Jump to: