Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do we need to ban male relo's from watching kids play sport?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 pm
Post subject: Do we need to ban male relo's from watching kids play sport?Reply with quote

Is it just idiot males or does this apply to both male & female relatives / family friends at kids sports equally or in part.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/under-15-girls-footy-match-abandoned-after-spectators-brawl-20180715-p4zrnr.html

FFS, can't people just watch their kids play and celebrate them playing?

What is wrong with people?

It would be interesting to hear from those with young kids at sport, parent coaches etc.

As an aside & not sport related but related to the politics of parenting: I recall when my kids were very young, there was always this one kid who would come to stay after school etc and every time she would come she would invariably break a toy or object belonging to my oldest daughter. I wasn't sure how to handle telling her or her parents. My oldest dughter just didn't invite her round after school anymore

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just men, women can be worse at kids sport, in fact any sport. In junior footy when I played as a kid in the bush, you could hear the mother of one of our players 500m from the oval on a still day. Old Lorna had a fair set of pipes and she let out a steady stream of both encouragement and abuse.

I don't think it's actually worse than it ever was, people are just a lot more thin skinned these days and more likely to start a blue over words.

As far as the kid goes, did she break stuff deliberately or was she just clumsy? If it was deliberate, I would have said something to the kid along the lines of if she was going to break stuff she wouldn't be invited back

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It's not just men, women can be worse at kids sport, in fact any sport. In junior footy when I played as a kid in the bush, you could hear the mother of one of our players 500m from the oval on a still day. Old Lorna had a fair set of pipes and she let out a steady stream of both encouragement and abuse.

I don't think it's actually worse than it ever was, people are just a lot more thin skinned these days and more likely to start a blue over words.

As far as the kid goes, did she break stuff deliberately or was she just clumsy? If it was deliberate, I would have said something to the kid along the lines of if she was going to break stuff she wouldn't be invited back

I assumed it would be both but men more than women I thought not just spray but are more likely to deal with conflict violently.

In terms of the kid we only learnt of it after a while and Lucy (the oldest) seemed to deal with it pretty well. It was a pattern that was picked up more in retrospect - the kids family were a bit "laissez faire" in their parenting for me. The other aspect was that we sent our kids to parent run community schoolwhere parents played an instrumental and expressive roles, set up essentially for home schoolers who wanted a bit more structure and social interaction. (we weren't into homeschooling as such but the school was magnificent in many respects) It was very small (18-30 kids) in any given year. Interactions can be over magnified and over amplified in small communities.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 pm

Obviously it'd be ridiculous if dads (or mums) couldn't watch their kids play. What they need is to get a little less involved and try not to make up for their own life disappointments by living vicariously through their children's sports participation hard for some parents to understand, I'm sure!
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:31 pm

^ As always, the answer lies in the classics: we tie the mums and dads to the trees (or masts of boats, if you must, but presumably that will force all games to be played at the Docklands), so they can watch without everything ending in ruins. (If that's not sufficient, try additionally stuffing dirty socks in their mouths.)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm

I like where you're going with this...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:24 pm

K wrote:
^ As always, the answer lies in the classics: we tie the mums and dads to the trees (or masts of boats, if you must, but presumably that will force all games to be played at the Docklands), so they can watch without everything ending in ruins. (If that's not sufficient, try additionally stuffing dirty socks in their mouths.)

yeah i think thats the answer. Ive copped it at a coach, briefly as an umpire (yep really,not for long i hated it!!) and ive been embarrassed by mums and dads next to me.

i have also embarrassed my kids a time or two, memorably when i was coaching my youngests team in an 17/u A grade match and the umpire didnt know you cant throw from the goal line to the centre third, and also when playing a couple of stand out nasty bitch teams if the umps were not doing enough to stop it. when i got the 2nd warning i simply went and got a head umpire to come out. they got sick of me, i didnt give a shit. a lot of it comes from letting the spectators get away with too much, then its too late.

at netball its mainly mothers, and ive seen some real bogan stuff. i tend to watch the senior footy team while junior is warming up for her saturday netball matches, and ive been pleasantly surprised by the behaviour, especially since its melton! (next week the blue will be on the news now im sure, jinx!!)

id say men are far more likely to get physical.

although a highlight of my own netball career was when we had 2 min left in an A grade grand final, some one yelled "Jo defend" but i was too busy watching the B grade final erupt into an all in brawl with supporters coming off the side lines to join in! i had taken my 2 primary school aged kids out of school for an hour to watch my game!! eventually the cops came to break it up! these were grown women! some were banned for life! oh, and we lost! to the all stars. again!!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Problem with Some Parents as they are trying to live There Dream thru there Kids
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:58 am

WPT, there are a whole bunch of not-very-nice men who exhibit violent aggression and anti-social behaviour. Its been going on a while, probably since Australopithecus came home in a bad mood. We get that you, like most modern men, heartily disapprove of this sort of thing.

When men behave badly enough to hurt people or be really anti-social, we make laws to stop it. And under an ancient principle that used to be understood, those laws were applied to everyone, regardless of gender or other inherited characteristics. What cannot sensibly be legislated, we try to manage through social mores, but those have become so corroded and pusillanimous that the problem is not going to go away.

So yes, it is a problem and its likely to stay that way ; but no, we shouldnt collectively ban groups of people because we are too weak to enforce laws or social strictures on those who misbehave.

It was ever thus - when you remove common values and cease to enforce laws strongly, the thugs take over and mild, civil people start to step back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: