Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Weagles end Pies' run - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood 9.13.67
West Coast 15.12.102

Goals: De Goey 4, JT 3, Mihocek 2,

Tackles: Levi 5, Grundy, Sier 4,

D/E: Mayne 87.5%, Grundy 85.7, Langdon 80, Crisp 76.2

Disposals: Adams 28, Phillips 27, Pendles 25, Howe 24, Crisp, Maynard 21, Sidey, Levi 18, Shaz, Varcoe 17, Mayne 16, Mihocek, Langdon, 15, Sier, Grundy, Moore 14, JT, De Goey 12,

AF Points: Phillips 100, Howe 96, Miohcek 93, Levi, Adams 83,

Crowd: 53,439

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:29 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

Where do you think you lost it?
Quote:
"I thought West Coast really dominated play in the second half in particular. We were able to control the ball and therefore field position more often than not and it just ground away at us really until they were able to hit the scoreboard heavily enough".

Must have been happy in the first quarter when you were playing through McGovern and Hurn's man a fair bit and getting some hit up targets and then things seem to change after that. Do you think they made some structural changes or did you not deliver the ball inside 50 as well as you could?
Quote:
"Our ball use looked really clean and crisp early. We just weren't able to finish off well enough. Our last kick wasn't ideal and there were opportunities that went begging for us whether it was conversion or even with that last contest/kick. The scores they got to were hard earned. We didn't take advantage of our dominance early in the game and it probably went for most of the first half to be honest. We had 34 inside 50s. The contested differential was 24. When the sun was shining for us we didn't put a gap and we went into half time 4 points down. I suppose when the clouds started appearing for us and the sun started shining for them, they were able to hit the scoreboard when we weren't. It was a tale of two halves really".

Darcy Moore a big positive at full back?
Quote:
"Yeah, that was a clear positive for us. One for him to get through the game and to look pretty comfortable in that role. I think he made some really good plays. We didn't defend as consistently as we have through the year. I think our deep backs were exposed to some situations that we haven't put them in for a long time. I think Darc will feel that's as under siege as we like him to feel. We want him to be a little bit more aggressive off the back given that the defence in front of him is a little bit more structured. He will have enjoyed getting through that game. He would obviously prefer to be in a win, but to get that game under his belt and to be able to look forward will be a positive".

Do you have any plans to flick Moore around in different positions or is he locked in defence?
Quote:
"That's where [defence] we would want to play him. He's had nine weeks of recovery and rehabilitation and he was able to put a lot of work in the last five or six weeks so we had no doubt that he was going to be right to go. It was pretty important for us looking forward to get him into that back mix and start building on the chemistry and synergy that we enjoyed with Dunn in that role, but we're not going to have Dunn for the rest of the year and so Darcy comes in and needs to build that chemistry with his teammates and today's a part of that and we're looking forward to seeing that progress".

Tackling numbers didn't read as well as you would like. Was there any reason for that or was it just effort?
Quote:
"We didn't stick as many mate. I think our tackle efficiency was 65%. There offence was to kick around us and through us a little bit and makes us bigger in defence and they were probably able to do that better than most sides have against us and that's a little bit of us and a little bit of them. Probably when you're winning so much ball on the ground, you haven't got as many tackle opportunities, so their ground ball was a significant win for us but we weren't able to be clean enough with it coming out from a scrummage or stoppage. That's as fumbly and indirect as we have been with our hands for a long time as well. We have to give them [Eagles] some credit, but as we do we will take a lot of ownership and onus on that ourselves".

65% tackle efficiency. What's that like?
Quote:
"2 in 3 mate [laughs*]. I think the competition average is around there. Anything above 70% you're doing alright. The percentage looks okay so it probably says we didn't have that many tackles attempt and our pressure numbers were as low today as they have been for a while partly due to the tactics of West Coast and partly due to us in allowing them to employ those tactics".

You said the 'sun was shining early' and then Natianui went down, how much of an opportunity was lost?
Quote:
"It's four points that went the other way that could have come our way. If you're suggesting that we should have won the game because Naitanui went off..."

No, I meant that at half time overall the scenario was pretty good
Quote:
"Yeah, I thought that there was even some signs early in the game that some of their contests was going to be worrying for us. I think they were still winning their fair share of contest behind the ball which prevented us from kicking a bigger score and when they got access to their forward line they were actually winning some contests there as well. We weren't able to remedy that in the second half and ultimately that's pretty costly for us".

Last week you said how you found a different way to win, whereas you couldn't do the same and adapt this week
Quote:
"Yeah, they just ground us out I think. They were able to hit the scoreboard better than they we were. We only went forward 19 times in the second half, so it's very hard to kick a winning score when that happens. They went inside 29 times so it's pretty hard to defend when you're against that weight of possession with their quality forward line. We had plenty of boys today who lowered their colours on their expectations and where they've been. When that happens invariably it's the old maxim when you lose more positions than you win, it's pretty hard to win the game and that's what happened today especially in front of the ball and behind the ball for us. Very few of our forwards won on the day and very few of our backs won on the day".

What's the latest on Mason Cox and have you lost anyone else today?
Quote:
"Not that I know of. Our VFL didn't play. We got through the game relatively unscathed. Brayden Sier didn't finish [as] he had a corky and we anticipate that Cox will be right to go. It was touch and go whether we would play him or not and we ran it right to the line. He was pretty tight in the hammy and he had some neural signs and our medicos made the decision to take him off the table and proof will be in the pudding going forward whether that was the right call".

Is there any correlation between WHE's scare last week and today's output?
Quote:
"Yeah, you would think that there's some correlation in it. It was a fair effort for him to get up, but as we spoke during the game getting up is only one part of it and then you've got to perform. It's a tough caper. It's unrelenting. There wouldn't have been many of the 44 blokes who played today that went into the game 100% fit so you're invariably carrying something, but we won't use it as an excuse".

General word out of Thursday's night VFL intra club match?
Quote:
"It was a training session with about 30-35 minutes of match practice. Fasolo, Aish and Blair got through alright and most of our boys. We had plenty of listed players that played. The returned from injuries guys got through relatively unscathed and they will continue their recovery".

Chris Scott said on Monday night that if you qualify and still lose players early in the year it can actually be an advantage because you can get a look at guys in new spots. Do you share that belief it can help you later on?
Quote:
"I think it depends what your situation you find yourself in because most coaches will find a positive for any situation that they find themselves in. I reckon we're in really good shape given that we've had plenty of blokes who have stood up. It's hard to find at the moment when you've just lost a game of footy. Our test is to dust ourselves off and make sure we're ready to impose our style on a good opposition in North who are playing a game right now. It's a pretty quick turnaround for us. We've been able to win a lot of games of footy and play some good footy off the back of some really good contributions from the depth of our list so we could have done that again today, but we didn't. We will go through and review the reasons why and we will make sure we're better prepared for next week".

Grow another beard?
Quote:
"Clearly the reason. If the boys want it, they just need to keep clean sheets and it will comeback".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-07-15/raw-buckley-reviews-loss-to-wce

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:18 am

If we're honest this loss has been imminent with the tide of defeat only held back in recent weeks because of poorer opposition and a new found maturity within the group that saw us get over the line when in recent seasons we wouldn't have.

Yesterday though the weight of injury and the continued lack of form for some within the 22 saw our resilience finally crack against a top 4 side.

The challenge now is to bounce back immediately and I hope to see at least 3 changes to the side for the game against the Kangaroos.

Out:Crocker
In:Cox (McLarty)

Out:Daicos
In:Brown

Out one of:Mayne, Greenwood or Varcoe.
In:Murray

The availability of Sier remains unknown at present.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 am

Today was a bit of a perfect storm
That performance has been coming for weeks
Whilst we've been winning lately we haven't been as good as results might have seemed
Injuries play a part but the other side we don't see is the GPS data of the players who have had to play extra game time to cover for the loss of key players.
Many on hear have bemoaned Dunn but today he would have been handy wouldn't he ?
Our midfield lacked our normal output. Sidey was basically shut down completely and had nil impact on a positive note for us. Pendles tried hard all day but made several skill errors not normally associated with his name. Because our forward line lacked structure with Cox out we became to predictable going forward and Hurn or McGovern just did as they pleased
WHE shouldn't have been out there he wasn't right to go
Daicos body doesn't handle the bigger body types WC had in
Crocker is near on hopeless at times
We maybe at best had 6 players today who broke even against there man so you can't win like that
I find it funny how people seem to accept ordinary as sufficient to get another chance
Varcoe was ordinary today. Had it 17 times yet managed to butcher or hamper at least 4 goals with poor disposals or wrong options. Not good enough for a experienced player.
I gave Lamgdon a rap at half time but overall his stats show that was statistically his equal 3rd worst game of the season. 66 AF points is categorised as average. 175 meters gained is poor along with no intercept marks. In fairness to him he's been asked to play roles he isn't suited too and like others is being exposed and that includes Scharenberg who yesterday was another who was ordinary in most facets of the game.
Miochek kicked what 1-4 should have at a minimum been 3-2 and he was barely even handy in the ruck
They weren't the only poor players but it highlights the low level of expectancy some have.
Our defence was under manned all day they got it in quick and long and we didn't have the players to combat it.
For mine this was a bad day at the office all round
The coach really made some errors today.
Why wouldn't we send Miochek back and Moore to ruck or forward for a bit just to change things up ?
Why not send Sidey to FF to try and break the tag and get him into the game ?
Why not do to them what they did to us by basically playing keeping off.
Did anyone else notice that the style they played mimicked how the Hawks beat us in round 1 ?
You can't score when you don't have the ball simple
They went tall we went small they marked at will we had no answer
Bucks has been banging on the past month about breaking even or winning aerially and yet that's where we were thrashed
Just so everyone knows the replay looks worse than game live did
Next week we need to make some serious adjustments or changes to be any chance
Miochek needs to be played as a defender his natural position on Brown. Moore gets Daw Maynard gets Ziebell
We must lock Higgins down
Cox must play
We need to add run so Murray must come in somewhere even if he plays on a wing and can link with Stephenson
This is a must win game we need to throw everything at them
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks Jezza, much appreciated.

Agree with swoop and Qlder, the defeat we had to have?

Still, where as Losing is always a bugger, it’s still been the best season for t long years and it ain’t over yet! I’m loving this ride!

I might have to grow a beard too if it will help!

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:57 am

I don’t think it is all doom and gloom.

No significant injuries in that game and players still to come back.

Outside of inaccuracy at goal, Q1 was close to our best quarter for the year - it could have been a 10 goal quarter for us (far from what it was). Q2 wasn’t too bad either. Our intensity was there, we just didn’t quite execute as well as we can (I’m thinking back to the “polish” comments from 2016/17).

We certainly need to look at how the game got out of our grasp in the second half though.

Hats off to Darcy Moore. He played really well and looked lively ... ten times better than his VFL and training performances.

If his hammy is okay Cox should come back for Crocker. The loss opens up the opportunity for more changes (Bucks has been reluctant to make unforced changes to a winning team this year). The big names are still a week or more away so maybe the likes of Murray and Brown might see an opportunity.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:20 pm

think positive wrote:
I might have to grow a beard too if it will help!

You might need help from Dank and the Bumbers.

P.S. Did anyone enjoy Daisy's MMM commentary on the game yesterday?
lanstro 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Like most of our losses this year, the game confirms that we're an above average but not great team. It's great that we now consistently win all the games we should win, but on the flipside we consistently can't sustain for 4 quarters the intensity required to beat the top few teams. On paper, our team is held together by spit and duct tape at this stage, but the belief in the group has allowed them to grind out professional wins. It's a solid platform to build on for next year.

As for this year, hopefully there will be no more major injuries, the consistency in beating inferior teams holds up, and we sneak into a home final. The only way we're going to get through to the later weeks of September is if we are in great form and the opposition have important players unavailable. Very unlikely of course, but then again the Dogs showed that anything is possible in September. If it's only a 5% chance, well, it's still 5% higher than what I thought at the start of the year.
Crazypie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:46 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Many on hear have bemoaned Dunn but today he would have been handy wouldn't he ?

Crocker is near on hopeless at times

I gave Langdon a rap at half time but overall his stats show that was statistically his equal 3rd worst game of the season. 66 AF points is categorised as average. 175 meters gained is poor along with no intercept marks. In fairness to him he's been asked to play roles he isn't suited too and like others is being exposed and that includes Scharenberg who yesterday was another who was ordinary in most facets of the game.
Miochek kicked what 1-4 should have at a minimum been 3-2 and he was barely even handy in the ruck
They weren't the only poor players but it highlights the low level of expectancy some have.
Our defence was under manned all day they got it in quick and long and we didn't have the players to combat it.
For mine this was a bad day at the office all round
The coach really made some errors today.
Why wouldn't we send Miochek back and Moore to ruck or forward for a bit just to change things up ?

Absolutely we missed Dunn.

Crocker IS hopeless.

Langdon did at least take 1 intercept mark coz he took one right in front of me unknown if he took any more.

If Miochek was moved to FB and Moore went to the ruck Kennedy would of kicked 10... Moore looked good down back and Miochek was the only decent looking tall target forward.

Greenwood looked to me the most out of place missing simple 15-20m passes putting so much pressure on the receiver.

Greenwood and unfortunately Sier out (he looked very sore trying to run out his corky and I doubt will make it back in time)

Brown cox ins

I'd try and find someone else for Crocker but I just don't think we have anyone Murray maybe but I doubt it will happen until he has a couple great Vfl games.

melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:56 pm

Didn't tip the Pies last week against the Bombers, because our form against Blues & GCS was not great. We were just good enough against the Bombers. With a Last Q heroics. But we were "just" good enough.

Tipped the Pies this week against the WCE, until walking to the Ground and heard Cox was out for Crocker. All I could visualize is Hurn and McGovern taking um-teen intercept marks. And changed my tip.

Pretty much panned out that way.

I could only see us winning by dominating in the middle. We did for a bit, but then that swayed to an even keel or they won that battle too.

Credit to the WCE tackle and defensive pressure. Thought it rattled us.

The injuries have taken a toll. Varcoe wouldn't be getting a game based on his 2xVFL games form, if we had others fit. He came in underdone form-wise.

Crocker is a bit of a one trick pony. Not sure he will be a future 100+ gamer unfortunately.

Siddey was tagged out of it. In those scenarios, Pendles, Treloar, Adams, and Thomas get off the leash. Missed Treloar . That extra gun Mid may have been enough.

On a brighter note, Moore looked at home in defence for a first game back.

Mihocek showed a bit more. Thought he was dangerous forward under difficult circumstances.

De Goey looks so dangerous 1 on 1 inside F50. He looked like scoring every time it was sent into him 1 on 1.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 pm
Post subject: Did we miss Cox. Did we everReply with quote

Grundy allowing for the high standards he has set was a little off and without the American Pie to give him a spell at ball ups —tried his heart out but even champion,s get tired

And their three talls in defence took 33 marks between them—with Mason in
he I reckon would have made big dint in that

Though that ain’t the singular fault as I say a fit Moore will be “McGovern” like pronto so get a mobile tall to work with Mason and in Mason,s absence if it happens create a target

Amazing that media kept alluding to us being “Kennedy” conscious well they
would have been Cox conscious—that would even the situ

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Definitely a lot of disappointed people when Cox pulled out. A Cox withdrawal was unexpected but the betting sites loved it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:03 pm

It was perfect timing. With Darling and kennedy out, the wiggles had to play McGovern up forward.

With them back, they swing him back again and we go in coxless, so McGovern has a party getting the ball.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:36 pm

And some supporters (and media) at season's start were wondering whether there was a place in the side for both Grundy and Cox together. How important both have proved to be...
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:38 pm

We looked Cluless moving the Ball without Cox.

Reminded me how we have played at least last 4 Seasons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12   

Jump to: