Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dayne Beams to Tigers 2019?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hermie Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="qldmagpie67"]Drpie those statements aren't exactly true mate
Pies supporters didn't know that through out that season Dayne had been making weekly trips back to see his father. Eddie Bucks and the club were at all times very good to him about it and kept his fathers illness under wraps.
I was aware obviously and didn't say anything his father was a very private person and didn't want the media hounding Dayne or Claye
Now for the facts
The Suns wanted Dayne prior to him being drafted in 2008. He would have had a guaranteed AFL contract with them but instead choose to go to the draft as his desire was to play for a Melbourne based club
They again made a massive play for him in 2012 after he had won the copeland and was a AA. The offer then was every bit as lucrative as the deal he would later sign with the lions
When he decided to return home to be close to his father the Suns were like a scorned lover. There offer was far less than the lions as they believed they were in the box seat to sign him due to the circumstances.
What they didn't realise was Dayne's dad was recieving treatment in Brisbane and was living mostly with his brother Claye at the time in Brisbane not on the Gold Coast
Dayne would have been happy to go to either Queensland club initially until his management started talking to both clubs and the Suns attempted to manipulate the situation
The lions were desperate to sign a big fish especially in the midfield and we're more than willing to offer up a better than expected deal.
The Suns offer as compensation for Beams to Collingwood was no where near the final offer the lions gave up
Collingwood received pick 5 pick 26 and Crisp not a bad return on investment for a pick 29.
I must say that the club didn't want Dayne to go but Eddie realised that his desire to be near his father was strong but he was a contracted player and they could have held him too it.
At the end of the day his reasoning for leaving was exactly as he stated he didn't at the time know how much longer he would have his father around. Unfortunately his father lost his battle with bowel cancer earlier this season and the only tie he had left in Queensland w his dad
He's now a father of 2 (including a son who could one day be a magpie) his wife Kelly is from Melbourne and wants to be close to her family. Dayne's mother and sister still live in Melbourne and he has a desire to be close to them as well.
His a Victorian boy born there in Yarrawonga
Whether the lions will let him go is a different story they have invested in him and his form is still very good but it's his body that there would be concerns over
Drpie your more than entitled to your opinion and I respect that it's fine but there is a lot of misinformation surrounding his departure and he didn't help his own case by not going public to the magpie members and making them fully understand why he wanted to leave and why the Suns weren't really a option
His non attendance at the copeland hurt his legacy at the club and in hindsight he would know he should have attended. He made a naive mistake taking some poor advice from people around him at the time.
He can't change that
I shared at the time when his father passed on here that Eddie made personal comtact with Dayne and offered any assistance he could to Dayne and his family. Eddie made the point at the time once a pies premiership player always a pies premiership player[/quote]

I also have a feeling Greg Swan had a hand in him moving to the lions, he was on sen stating how he hadn't seen so much room in a salary cap as the lions had and then next thing you know rumours started about beams going to brisbane
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Correct me if Im wrong, but is he under contract?

Meaning we'd (or another club) would have to trade for him?

You think the Lions will make that easy? Imagine losing Crisp, the pick that got us Greenwood and the pick that landed us De Goey only to lose that player to the same team after 4 seasons?

They wont make that easy at all. What would it cost?

I'll be amazed of Beams "does a Tarrant".

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:16 pm

"It" refers to losing Crisp the pick that got us Greenwood and the pick that landed us De Goey to lose that player to the same team after 4 seasons, I think.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:42 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Correct me if Im wrong, but is he under contract?

Meaning we'd (or another club) would have to trade for him?

You think the Lions will make that easy? Imagine losing Crisp, the pick that got us Greenwood and the pick that landed us De Goey only to lose that player to the same team after 4 seasons?

They wont make that easy at all. What would it cost?

I'll be amazed of Beams "does a Tarrant".

He can’t do a Tarrant - he isn’t quick enough for full back.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:47 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Drpie those statements aren't exactly true mate
Pies supporters didn't know that through out that season Dayne had been making weekly trips back to see his father. Eddie Bucks and the club were at all times very good to him about it and kept his fathers illness under wraps.
I was aware obviously and didn't say anything his father was a very private person and didn't want the media hounding Dayne or Claye
Now for the facts
The Suns wanted Dayne prior to him being drafted in 2008. He would have had a guaranteed AFL contract with them but instead choose to go to the draft as his desire was to play for a Melbourne based club
They again made a massive play for him in 2012 after he had won the copeland and was a AA. The offer then was every bit as lucrative as the deal he would later sign with the lions
When he decided to return home to be close to his father the Suns were like a scorned lover. There offer was far less than the lions as they believed they were in the box seat to sign him due to the circumstances.
What they didn't realise was Dayne's dad was recieving treatment in Brisbane and was living mostly with his brother Claye at the time in Brisbane not on the Gold Coast
Dayne would have been happy to go to either Queensland club initially until his management started talking to both clubs and the Suns attempted to manipulate the situation
The lions were desperate to sign a big fish especially in the midfield and we're more than willing to offer up a better than expected deal.
The Suns offer as compensation for Beams to Collingwood was no where near the final offer the lions gave up
Collingwood received pick 5 pick 26 and Crisp not a bad return on investment for a pick 29.
I must say that the club didn't want Dayne to go but Eddie realised that his desire to be near his father was strong but he was a contracted player and they could have held him too it.
At the end of the day his reasoning for leaving was exactly as he stated he didn't at the time know how much longer he would have his father around. Unfortunately his father lost his battle with bowel cancer earlier this season and the only tie he had left in Queensland w his dad
He's now a father of 2 (including a son who could one day be a magpie) his wife Kelly is from Melbourne and wants to be close to her family. Dayne's mother and sister still live in Melbourne and he has a desire to be close to them as well.
His a Victorian boy born there in Yarrawonga
Whether the lions will let him go is a different story they have invested in him and his form is still very good but it's his body that there would be concerns over
Drpie your more than entitled to your opinion and I respect that it's fine but there is a lot of misinformation surrounding his departure and he didn't help his own case by not going public to the magpie members and making them fully understand why he wanted to leave and why the Suns weren't really a option
His non attendance at the copeland hurt his legacy at the club and in hindsight he would know he should have attended. He made a naive mistake taking some poor advice from people around him at the time.
He can't change that
I shared at the time when his father passed on here that Eddie made personal comtact with Dayne and offered any assistance he could to Dayne and his family. Eddie made the point at the time once a pies premiership player always a pies premiership player

qldmagpies67, the information you quote about the behaviour of the Suns was certainly not common knowledge at the time that Beams asked to go to Brisbane. At the time it seemed that Beams, in expressing a determination to go to Brisbane rather than the Gold Coast where his father actually lived, had an agenda beyond the desire to support his terminally ill father. If the facts are as you say, and I have no reason to disbelieve you, then my previous comments were too harsh.

I still think that Beams probably only has a year or so left at the level he showed at Brisbane and his final years at Collingwood and that we would be wiser to trade for a 24 or 25 year old key position player. We have lots of good midfielders and apart from Pendles and Wells they are all younger than Beams. We do not have enough key position players and two of the best of them (Dunn and Reid) were born in the 1980s.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:45 pm

^^
Dr pie all good mate
Many on here know I've been friends of the family since they arrived on the Gold Coast in the early 90's
There was information I wasn't able to share due to the sensitivity of it at the time.
His manager sounded out both clubs prior to Dayne making a decision and then having a in depth heart to heart with Eddie and Bucks

But it is fact the Suns tried playing hard ball using the family issue as a hammer to get there way
It's a shame Dayne didn't want to leave Collingwood he was happy here but his father was a very important part of his life and he decided that w more important
I agree his body is too banged up and we have loads of mids so he isn't a required recruit for the club we need to spend our draft picks and trades wisely
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: