Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dayne Beams to Tigers 2019?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
What sort of coin is he asking?

I only ask on the chance that Wells retires.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:23 am

Presti35 wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
What sort of coin is he asking?

I only ask on the chance that Wells retires.

i posed this question during the Brissy game and was shot down in flames. Apparently he is not welcome baxck (according to the expert at Nicks) and he would be a terrible liability to add to our midfield because he is slow and not a damaging at all!!!! Maybe i'll bounce the thread for perspective.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 am

It won't make a difference whether Wells retires or not, I am pretty sure his contracted wage will still go towards our salary cap.

There was a change made to the rules after Buddy Franklin got the 10 year contract from the Swans to hold them fully accountable for the deal.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
It’d be a fitting end to his career to go and play out his days for the ‘Aints. Brisbane need him out of their midfield, now they have some actual talent in there.

Your complete and utter disrespect for Beams is well noted. Obviously your completely wrong as usual on anything to do with a serious AFL conversation.
Simple facts are he now has 2 young children and his wife would like to be closer to her family in Melbourne a natural thing. Queensland only appealed to Dayne due to his fathers health issues at the time. With his father now passed on and his own mother and sister still in Melbourne there is nothing holding him to Queensland
The lions will be loathed to let him go I would guess it will take at least a high 1st round draft pick at a minimum to even tempt them.
There's no secret I do have a bias towards Dayne never hidden that fact but an honest appraisal would see him easily in our best 22 but my head tells me he should come with a buyer beware sign due to his body failing him often
Any club with a young midfield would love to have a ball winning goal kicking match winning elite experienced midfielder like him come in to show the young players the way it's done
He won't be back at Collingwood we couldn't afford his price tag without having to let go 2 or 3 players but the saints or Carlton or Essendon would happily pay him
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
It’d be a fitting end to his career to go and play out his days for the ‘Aints. Brisbane need him out of their midfield, now they have some actual talent in there.

Your complete and utter disrespect for Beams is well noted. Obviously your completely wrong as usual on anything to do with a serious AFL conversation.
Simple facts are he now has 2 young children and his wife would like to be closer to her family in Melbourne a natural thing. Queensland only appealed to Dayne due to his fathers health issues at the time. With his father now passed on and his own mother and sister still in Melbourne there is nothing holding him to Queensland
The lions will be loathed to let him go I would guess it will take at least a high 1st round draft pick at a minimum to even tempt them.
There's no secret I do have a bias towards Dayne never hidden that fact but an honest appraisal would see him easily in our best 22 but my head tells me he should come with a buyer beware sign due to his body failing him often
Any club with a young midfield would love to have a ball winning goal kicking match winning elite experienced midfielder like him come in to show the young players the way it's done
He won't be back at Collingwood we couldn't afford his price tag without having to let go 2 or 3 players but the saints or Carlton or Essendon would happily pay him

i am with you. i think we are generally far too disrespectful of players who leave Collingwood. I think its because some fans havent been able to move on, even though the players and the league have long moved beyond basic loyalty at all costs. As football has become a business, business has diluted all of the norms on loyalty.

And yet some fans still believe that players should only care about their club (at the expense of all financial considerations, and in this case, family issues) BUT they are totally ok for the club to mistreat a player for any or no reason.

So if the club makes a smart business decision, like not offering Daisy a contract, or not matching a market price offer from St. Kilda for a player whose career is at risk of being over due to disgraceful training practices, then that is all on the player.

Oh well, what can you do.... these same fans dont usually have a whole lot going on in their lives that they are happy about so they take an amount of joy out of shitting on the decisions of others.....

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Well I'd love to see him come back. But we need to address our KPP stocks first and if we looked at mids, I'd much rather go after a younger player like Gaff.

But I'd still keep that option open if it was a simple trade. (It wont be made simple).

I guess the other thing to think about is what we paid Wells and what return we've received. I'd rather spend that on someone who is going to play. But as Bucks5 has pointed out, it wont matter if Wells retires or not.

We cant get everyone. But we shouldn't close the door on this either. It would be a travesty to see him at Richmond or Essendon, especially if their windows are open.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Are Richmond the new (old) Carlton?

First Lynch, now Beams.

Perhaps brown paper bags need to be banned alongside the plastic ones as surely they couldn't fit both in the salary cap.

Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:22 pm

Rumour I heard last Sunday is we have been talking to him all year. We don't have the funds to pay him though, again rumoured to be $100,000 short per year.

I for one would love him back. Prior to the game against the Eagles I thought do we really need another midfielder. Then after seeing Levi's game absolutely we do.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
It won't make a difference whether Wells retires or not, I am pretty sure his contracted wage will still go towards our salary cap.
There was a change made to the rules after Buddy Franklin got the 10 year contract from the Swans to hold them fully accountable for the deal.

Rioli's retirement has freed up Hawk salary space, so this sort of thing is murky.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:26 pm

What happened to change made to the rules after Buddy Franklin got the 10 year contract from the Swans to hold them accountable for the deal ?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
Dayne Beams back to the Pies in 2019 is a better headline. Come home son with open arms.

Don't Really Need Beams when we have lot bigger needs to fix

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:25 pm

He is off to Richmond people.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:25 pm

I think he suits the Bombers needs well.
I respect him as a player, but don't think he handled his exit from the club well. He's got to do what is best for his family though. We're all free to leave our jobs.
Not for me, back at the Pies. Not where we need to direct our salary cap space and certainly not given his body is prone to regularly breaking down.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:33 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Beams' move wasn't simply a question of his father's health. The Beams family had links with Southport Footy Club which was connected to the Gold Coast Suns. If it had simply been a matter of getting back to be with his old man he would have been happy to go to the Suns and he certainly wasn't. I'm guessing that the Lions had made some promises to Dayne behind Collingwood's back.

As it turned out we came out well from the deal because the Lions underestimated Crisp (so did a lot of pies fans initially) and De Goey was even better then a #5 draft pick. All the same, after putting a lot of work into Beams' development it was a shame to lose him just at the point he was entering the peak years of his career.

Beams is actually the only premiership player to leave Collingwood for another club that I resent. Dawes, Heath Shaw and Harry/Hertier were more or less forced out (although Hertier's behaviour was a contributing factor) Wellingham returned to WA after contributing a lot to the Pies and actually we got more out of him than the Eagles. Daisy gave his all to the club for years (especially in 2010) and at the point he accepted Carlton's money he had so many injuries that he wasn't going to be any use to Carlton for at least two years. We knew that, he knew that, but I doubt that anyone at Carlton apart from Mick Malthouse knew it.

Beams on the other hand has played his peak football at Brisbane and I can't think of any reason why Collingwood should pay him to spend his declining years at the Holden Centre.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:40 am

Drpie those statements aren't exactly true mate
Pies supporters didn't know that through out that season Dayne had been making weekly trips back to see his father. Eddie Bucks and the club were at all times very good to him about it and kept his fathers illness under wraps.
I was aware obviously and didn't say anything his father was a very private person and didn't want the media hounding Dayne or Claye
Now for the facts
The Suns wanted Dayne prior to him being drafted in 2008. He would have had a guaranteed AFL contract with them but instead choose to go to the draft as his desire was to play for a Melbourne based club
They again made a massive play for him in 2012 after he had won the copeland and was a AA. The offer then was every bit as lucrative as the deal he would later sign with the lions
When he decided to return home to be close to his father the Suns were like a scorned lover. There offer was far less than the lions as they believed they were in the box seat to sign him due to the circumstances.
What they didn't realise was Dayne's dad was recieving treatment in Brisbane and was living mostly with his brother Claye at the time in Brisbane not on the Gold Coast
Dayne would have been happy to go to either Queensland club initially until his management started talking to both clubs and the Suns attempted to manipulate the situation
The lions were desperate to sign a big fish especially in the midfield and we're more than willing to offer up a better than expected deal.
The Suns offer as compensation for Beams to Collingwood was no where near the final offer the lions gave up
Collingwood received pick 5 pick 26 and Crisp not a bad return on investment for a pick 29.
I must say that the club didn't want Dayne to go but Eddie realised that his desire to be near his father was strong but he was a contracted player and they could have held him too it.
At the end of the day his reasoning for leaving was exactly as he stated he didn't at the time know how much longer he would have his father around. Unfortunately his father lost his battle with bowel cancer earlier this season and the only tie he had left in Queensland w his dad
He's now a father of 2 (including a son who could one day be a magpie) his wife Kelly is from Melbourne and wants to be close to her family. Dayne's mother and sister still live in Melbourne and he has a desire to be close to them as well.
His a Victorian boy born there in Yarrawonga
Whether the lions will let him go is a different story they have invested in him and his form is still very good but it's his body that there would be concerns over
Drpie your more than entitled to your opinion and I respect that it's fine but there is a lot of misinformation surrounding his departure and he didn't help his own case by not going public to the magpie members and making them fully understand why he wanted to leave and why the Suns weren't really a option
His non attendance at the copeland hurt his legacy at the club and in hindsight he would know he should have attended. He made a naive mistake taking some poor advice from people around him at the time.
He can't change that
I shared at the time when his father passed on here that Eddie made personal comtact with Dayne and offered any assistance he could to Dayne and his family. Eddie made the point at the time once a pies premiership player always a pies premiership player
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: