Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should we eradicate cats in Australia?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should cats be eradicated from Australia?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
...(for instance, I find dog barks grating and antagonising, whereas maybe some macho guys actually feed off those displays of aggression?)

Is there any reason to believe simply barking is a "display of aggression"? Isn't it just the equivalent of talking (possibly with a very limited vocabulary, but even that I don't know)? Some human verbal communication is aggressive, of course, but most isn't. Might it not be the same for dogs?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:04 am

The screenshot below clearly shows that I never edited my post as claimed as a record of it would appear under my signature if I had.

So Mugwump is either deliberately lying or sorely mistaken.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:22 am

swoop42 wrote:
The screenshot below clearly shows that I never edited my post as claimed as a record of it would appear under my signature if I had.

So Mugwump is either deliberately lying or sorely mistaken.

Records of edits do not always show below the sig - David suggests that they do not show if the edit was made before the next post.

Anyway, I am 100% certain in my mind that you wrote that I [Mugwump] prefer dogs because I “like to dominate others”. You are 100% certain that you did not write that. Clearly the record does not show that you did, so If you tell me that you did not, then it does not stand, and I will accept that I must have been mistaken. I’m not sure how to apologize given my feeling of certainty about what I saw, but I am sorry if I was mistaken. Life is too short for conflict, and I like a lot of what you write. I’m happy to let it pass, and whether you are is up to you.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:51 am

K wrote:
David wrote:
...(for instance, I find dog barks grating and antagonising, whereas maybe some macho guys actually feed off those displays of aggression?)

Is there any reason to believe simply barking is a "display of aggression"? Isn't it just the equivalent of talking (possibly with a very limited vocabulary, but even that I don't know)? Some human verbal communication is aggressive, of course, but most isn't. Might it not be the same for dogs?

As the owner of a yapper, I believe it’s talking, and you can tell their mood by it. Molly just loves to bark, thankfully She has got better with age. When I come home there is the I’m so happy to see you, I missed you, closely followed by the machine gun rapid where the hell have you been how could you leave me speech. I’m just glad the puppy doesn’t copy her! Max used to howl when I left! The puppy howls when I whistle, and it’s the most unreal sound! He talks while he howls! Google talking dogs, it’s unreal! Malamutes seem to be especially good at it. Which is ironic considering their name!

The tools get off on having the tough breeds, they don’t need to bark. I don’t think I ever met a dog I didn’t like, but I step sideways when a pitull or similar breed comes towards me! It doesn’t need to bark.

I’ve also owned a bull terrier that was as sweet as any other dog I’ve owned. As usual it’s people that make dogs mean.

As for the rest, can we knock that off? It’s so nice to have a thread with multiple posters, can we step out of kinder and all get along for a change? Surely we have a little bit of a funny bone left?

For example, I love dogs, because they know how to love unconditionally and they are pretty simple creatures, probably why I like men!

This is not an attack on my fellow women, gay people,or anyone else, it’s a joke! And Beau has just come to join meAnd Molly for coffee! Now there is the perfect male, full of fun and love, soft and fluffy, a little silly, ok a lot silly, loves a cuddle on the coach. Then there is Molly, sweet little Molly, just on 4 kg who has her younger but 2kg heavier baby brother so bluffed it’s hysterical to watch! Lucky she doesn’t have a mean bone in her body! Before Beau was Max, Molly’s dad, and the most loyal dog on the planet, loved me too much, separation anxiety, I loved him just as much! Then there was our first poodle Chloe, the royal queen, she was so disdainful, we actually said she was a cat in disguise. You knew exactly when her majesty was displeased. She wouldn’t grace you with her presence for days. She would perch on the other end of the coach and look the other way! I’ve also been lucky enough to share my life with a bull terrier, a blue healer and a bitser! All beautiful in their own ways. My sister the crazy cat lady, who also has the most spoilt none working sheep dog that ever lived, could tell you similar stories about the many many many cats She has owned.

In other words they are just like people, they have their own personalities, especially if they are allowed to blossom.and as for the name calling, gees call me a bitch I don’t care, more than happy to be thought of as a female dog! And domination? Come to my house see where you stand, just get in line behind little 4kg Molly like everyone else does!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:05 am

Maybe change the thread title to eradicate feral cats. Although rehome would be nicer!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:52 am

Re: the barking thing, you’re right that it’s their main form of communication – I guess I should have clarified that I mean dogs that bark at you through the fence every time you walk past (every suburban street has at least a couple). It’s struck me before that it’s essentially the same thing (in both tone and intent) as some angry person yelling “f off” at randoms – possibly the exact same angry person who shits on the footpath – and I find it kind of strange and amusing that, while we’d obviously find such antisocial behaviour totally intolerable if it was a person, we treat it as totally normal because they happen to be furry, four-legged types.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:50 am

Interesting to note that in both the facebook poll and this one, the results so far are in favour. Smile
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:19 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Interesting to note that in both the facebook poll and this one, the results so far are in favour. Smile

Donald Trump is President.

Never underestimate the ability of the human race to be stupid. Razz

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:30 pm

I voted yes.
Not sure how this has turned into a cat vs dog argument?
I don't hate cats.. but
Cats are a menace & great threat to our native wildlife and something needs to be done.
I own a dog.
I'm not sure what I am but I imagine right wing would be one of the least accurate descriptions

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Crocodiles are a menace to the human species but we have protections in place for them.

Venomous snakes to.

Spiders I could live without.

Certain dog breeds with a greater propensity for aggression seem to often attract owners with the same mindset and can be a ticking time bomb.

Measures to control the feral cat population is one thing, calling on the eradication of much loved pets is another thing altogether.

Personally if I had to choose between a native bird that I couldn't even recognise, a native bird that I could recognise but will never see, a native bird that I could see but only for a fleeting second as it flies away or a native bird that will never be a domesticated animal able to provide enjoyment, love and comfort to millions of Australians then sorry I'm siding with the cat as the superior option.

Pretty sure I read that there are an estimated 11 billion birds in this country so it would only take a rather modest 5% reproduction rate per year to see overall bird numbers maintained despite the feral cat population and while I can appreciate peoples concerns about bird species that are endangered what about the huge number that aren't some of whom in large numbers can be a pest for farmers or indeed a menace to other bird species.

Then of course it's important to consider the amount of four legged animals killed each year in order to feed the dogs in this country.

Cats to of course.

So pet owners are already placing the well being of their animal over that of another animal that will be killed in order to feed it.

Not sure anyone can be taking the moral high road on this issue when that is the brutal reality and whether it be a bird in the wild or a horse at a knackery if you own a dog or a cat you have blood on your hands.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:22 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Crocodiles are a menace to the human species but we have protections in place for them.

Crocodiles are native animals and presumably it is illegal to keep one as a pet. If crocodiles were introduced to some foreign environment, they could cause carnage. Keeping any exotic wild animal as a pet should be illegal. I don't know why it's so common in the US. The spectacle of alligators fighting with pythons in the Florida glades has a morbid appeal, but such a situation should never have been allowed to happen.

think positive wrote:
The tools get off on having the tough breeds, they don’t need to bark. I don’t think I ever met a dog I didn’t like, but I step sideways when a pitull or similar breed comes towards me! It doesn’t need to bark.

Pitbulls have been banned from importation to Oz for over 15 years. There will still be a residual population, especially mixed-breed dogs, though. It seems that owners of such dogs have to have them de-sexed and microchipped. Perhaps all cats should be microchipped too.

[Update: perhaps microchipping is compulsory now. Is it so? For all pet animals? In all states?]
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:59 pm

I've come across 2 pitbulls in the past year, the most docile dogs I've ever met. I don't buy the "killing is in their genes" nonsense.

Anyway, this isn't about dogs.

Swoop, surely you understand the difference between a native animal and a feral predator, introduced by man. Who said anything about killing loved pets? Control and greater restrictions, yes but the ferals have to be culled. I would say the same for dogs or any other domesticated animal.

as for the dog argument, I'll let this song settle it Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ-fvr2qLc0

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:07 pm

^

Well said Frankie. If Swoop had bothered to read the OP, I said

Quote:
To eradicate cats means that existing pets must be desexed, any strays caught are destroyed, breeders are closed down and stock all desexed and a bounty put on feral/stray cats.

Those people who desperately desire the company of a cat, could purchase a desexed one from over seas, but other than that, Australia would be cat free.

No one said anything about killing beloved family pets, unless they're out roaming around. Desex them and keep them inside or in a cat run, you can keep your pet.

When it dies, if you want another one, you can but a desexed one from over seas.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Well said Frankie. If Swoop had bothered to read the OP, I said

Quote:
To eradicate cats means that existing pets must be desexed, any strays caught are destroyed, breeders are closed down and stock all desexed and a bounty put on feral/stray cats.

Those people who desperately desire the company of a cat, could purchase a desexed one from over seas, but other than that, Australia would be cat free.

No one said anything about killing beloved family pets, unless they're out roaming around. Desex them and keep them inside or in a cat run, you can keep your pet.

When it dies, if you want another one, you can but a desexed one from over seas.

That proposition would be just plain nonsense to millions of Australians and appears to show where your truly feelings lie about cats despite your insistence to the contrary.

People who also hold the belief that just because a family pet strays into there yard makes it's fair game to be harmed are also showing their true colours and that is one of hate.

I wonder how dog owners would feel if I baited some meat because their prized pooch was disturbing my peace as I sat in my home on the other side of the fence.

There is no justification for harming an animal that is clearly someones pet unless it's in defence of a physical attack on a person or your own pet.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:55 pm

^

If you baited the meat in your yard, and my dog got in there, fair game. It shouldn't have been in your yard. Same as cats, if you're a responsible cat owner you don't let the cat roam round with potential to kill native fauna, you keep it inside. If you throw bait over my fence into my yard and kill my dog because it's barking annoys you, you will have a problem.

If you're an irresponsible pet owner and allow your pet to roam, you forfeit the right to keep it and it's destroyed. hate doesn't come into it, just pragmatism. Anyone who thinks their right to own a pet outweighs our obligation to protect the environment is just being selfish.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14   

Jump to: