Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should we eradicate cats in Australia?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should cats be eradicated from Australia?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
K wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
*cough cough* a thread about genocide and murder, more like. I think a few cat lovers might have been provoked, that's all. Wink

Well, hes edited the OP now, which might almost pass for an apology.

If killing feral cats is genocide and murder, then what is it that cats do, again ?

The OP was edited 3 minutes after posting... so I doubt anyone saw the original and also doubt the original was more provocative... Maybe the truth hurts.

I edited the OP within 3 minutes of posting because I noticed a spelling mistake.

In content and context, it was and is unchanged from the original.

Sorry, all crossed wires. I was referring to swoops comment that I prefer dogs over cats because I like to dominate others. Hes edited that out since I called him out on it, but since it had been quoted, I mean that OP. Stuis OP For the thread I agree with !

I then interpreted Ks comment as endorsing Swoops sneaky attack on my character, which surprised me greatly as it is not Ks style - but I see now that it wasnt, and thats cool.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Oh... see my previous comment (last post on p.8 ) for what I was thinking about.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:36 pm

^ yep, got it, K thanks. You could have picked my jaw off the floor when I thought you were endorsing Swoops comment ! I should have realized that there was another explanation, as it is clearly (and creditably) not your thing to go personal.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:31 pm

I never edited my original post and stand by it.

This thread is proof enough that those who lean to the left are more likely to have a special place in there hearts for cats and those who lean right prefer dogs.

If you like both then I guess you're likely to be the in the moderate centre.

I guess it all comes down to your ability for tolerance of those who are harder to love or don't reflect the person you see in the mirror.

And what side of politics do we think does a better job of embracing the differences we all have?

Cats are harder to love and much easier to hate than dogs because they display more personality traits and are a better reflection of the complexity of the human psyche due to it.

But alas millions of Australians love them because of this very reason and don't desire a pet that provides them with unquestionable loyalty.

As for Mugwump he is the one who delivered the initial rather insulting claim that if you're a cat owner you must be only doing so in sufferance of not being in a position to own a dog.

As I then rightly pointed out this says more about him because the actual reality is that millions of Australians love the company that a cat provides and would never exchange them for a dog.

He has since acted like a petulant child trying to portray himself as the victim continually offering snide remarks about me when in reality he was simply called out on his rather narrow minded belief on millions of Australians.

Anyway I've now had my right of reply and will move on.

I suggest he do the same

Last edited by swoop42 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:33 pm

That is quite a lot.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:36 pm

Since the OP has been questioned, I'd like to clarify a point for those who commented without reading it.

Eradicating cats means putting down all non de-sexed cats to ensure there is no breeding population left in the country from which feral cats can come.

I did propose that cat lovers could still buy a neutered cat from overseas breeders, if that's what they need. If all cats had to be imported neutered, and lets add microchipped to the owner, irresponsible owners would have their licence to import a cat revoked if it was found roaming, but because it couldn't breed the risk of ferals goes away.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I never edited my original post and stand by it.

As for Mugwump he is the one who delivered the initial rather insulting claim that if you're a cat owner you must be only doing so in sufferance of not being in a position to own a dog.

Nope, it is not being a petulant child to respond to an attack on your character. You just doubled down, there. Cant get a kick ? Play the man. Clear foul ? Try to give away a fifty.

To be clear, I wrote : I struggle to see why anyone would own a cat rather than a dog, if there was a choice. A very everyday statement along the lines of I struggle to see why anyone would eat key lime pie rather than cheesecake if there was a choice. You are right that it says more about me (ie my preferences) than it does about cats, of course. You chose to be insulted (really??) by that ? And then you opine that i like dogs because I like to dominate people ? And you think I am a petulant child ???

Nope, old son, you were out of bounds on any reasonable interpretation. Having dropped a little pile of poo, I can see why you might want to just move on. Its perfectly ok to say sorry, I got that wrong or sorry, thats not what I meant : but it does take a level of classiness. I assumed that you realized it and so you edited the original comment, as it seems to have gone. If you did not edit it, then I was overestimating you, and maybe David edited it, or I missed seeing it on a second reading.

If you think my beliefs involve domination, then you do not understand them. I believe in liberty under the law - free speech and free thought and action, subject to reasonable laws designed to protect the community and innocents, enacted by a democratic parliament, and well-enforced. Its quite a simple philosophy in which domination plays scant part. If you dont understand that, then that is a pity.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 pm

The premise of left v right and cat v dog is just utter bullshit. Some may call it typical leftist deflection, but that's too obvious.

You don't have to hate cats (and I don't) to have enough brains to recognise that as an introduced predator they are causing carnage to the native fauna and more needs to be done to control this pest that does more damage than rabbits, foxes and cane toads combined.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:30 pm

^ actually, on this little survey, there might be some merit in the political hypothesis. Most of the people broadly toward the Right seem to be dog people, and the more Leftist posters seem to be cat people. Dont know if that is coincidence, but it was an interesting speculation, and I dont object to it at all. Even if true, what it means is anyones guess, of course.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:43 am

Wokko posted a link a while back that suggested there might be some broad correlation between testosterone levels and political orientation (at least among men), and I feel like that could be plausible. If so, its not too much of a stretch to hypothesise that cats might appeal to the more effeminate among us (for instance, I find dog barks grating and antagonising, whereas maybe some macho guys actually feed off those displays of aggression?)

This is painting in very broad brushstrokes, of course, and would have plenty of exceptions even if true, but I feel like its interesting food for thought.

BTW, I didnt edit Swoops post and Im not aware of any other mod having done so, so is it possible you imagined that he said this?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:16 am

Some people here are carrying on like cats and dogs.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:28 am

watt price tully wrote:
Some people here are carrying on like cats and dogs.

I just read through the last two pages and thought the same thing! Some very weird ranges of sensitivity over this subject.

Although TBH its bullshit if you introduce them the right way, I know plenty of people who own both, and they curl up together, altogether actually! Dogs cats people. Yep you get cat hating dogs, just like you get the odd serial killer! You also get a lot of dog attacking cats!

Bottom line is cats should be policed as dogs are to stop the feral problem. It cant be much fun for them being homeless anyway.

- and then there is kitty litter, ugh, gross, Id rather use the pooper scooper!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:09 am

David wrote:
Wokko posted a link a while back that suggested there might be some broad correlation between testosterone levels and political orientation (at least among men), and I feel like that could be plausible. If so, its not too much of a stretch to hypothesise that cats might appeal to the more effeminate among us (for instance, I find dog barks grating and antagonising, whereas maybe some macho guys actually feed off those displays of aggression?)

This is painting in very broad brushstrokes, of course, and would have plenty of exceptions even if true, but I feel like its interesting food for thought.

BTW, I didnt edit Swoops post and Im not aware of any other mod having done so, so is it possible you imagined that he said this?

The hypothesis is one of those hundreds of issues which are actually about populations. It feels probable that the average testosterone level of those on the right (which is actually a very broad church, as these pages show) is probably a little higher than those on the left. But the populations almost certainly show so much overlap that the mean difference is almost meaningless when it comes to prediction.

And no, no chance I imagined it. I read it several times to see if there was a way to contextualise it as having a civil meaning, as it seemed such a weird tack to take on this issue. Did you see a denial, btw?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:25 am

Well, Swoop did say that he never edited his post, and if he did, he would have had to have ninja-edited it sometime within the 14 minutes before Stuis post for it to not appear as edited, and you would have had to see it in that brief window of time. So ... I dunno. I often find myself typing a sentence and then realising that I completely missed a word that I thought I already typed, and sometimes we get the gist of what someones saying and see a similar word and our brain fills in the gaps, so this kind of thing is pretty common. \_(/)_/

Anyway, seems like there might be some basis to the pet choicepolitics link:

http://time.com/8293/its-true-liberals-like-cats-more-than-conservatives-do/
https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/canine-corner/201306/do-politics-matter-when-it-comes-loving-cats-or-dogs
http://demographicpartitions.org/dog-people-vs-cat-people-statistics/

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:41 am

^ nope. I read it two or three times, probably more or less as soon as it was posted. I read it a few times as it seemed so bizarre : mildly humorous conversation happening and then someone stabs you with a knitting needle. You shake your head and think did I read that right ? So you read it again. Then you think wtf caused that ? So you re-read it a third time. Dunno re the mechanics, but I dont do drugs. It was there. No bones broken, but bullshit deserves to be named. His hurt locker justification above is as silly as the initial post. Anyway, now that a punch thrown has had service relatively politely returned, Im good for a truce.

Always best to avoid attacking the character of another poster as an individual. Attack the ideology by all means, and the outlook of an ideologys notional supporter base. Thats fine. Attack the post and the quality of an argument. But if you attack personal character, its really looking for trouble anywhere in life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14   

Jump to: