Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should we eradicate cats in Australia?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should cats be eradicated from Australia?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
The feral cat population is a testament to a cats ability to be far more self sufficient ...

Isn't the feral cat population really a testament to the irresponsibility of cat owners (in the distant past)?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:47 pm

I think it's a testament to the power of cat-on-cat sexual attraction, personally...
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:54 pm

K wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
The feral cat population is a testament to a cats ability to be far more self sufficient ...

Isn't the feral cat population really a testament to the irresponsibility of cat owners (in the distant past)?

Potentially, but not knowingly. I doubt anyone would have realised the scale of the problem even 100 years ago.

It wasn't that long ago that it was common to let cats roam. In the country in particular it was thought a good way to control mice. Having a population of semi tame cats on a farm was quite common. The problem is, as an introduced predator, they have no real natural enemy in the food chain. Foxes and dogs (also both introduced) might take out a few but they're more interested in a decent feed that's little trouble to kill. Like sheep. Cats aren't worth the effort.

Now if someone could figure out a way to program cats to want to eat cane toads.........

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Or cane toads to eat cats, as the case may be!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:08 pm

That won't help, just feeds the cane toads/

If the cats eat cane toads, the toad dies and the cat dies. Win win.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Re: cats vs dogs, I don't recall any news stories about cats attacking children/people. Or councils impounding cats for attacking other pets/animals. Not for food mind you, just for the fun of it.

As for being ridiculed for not having a dog? I'd rather not spend my time picking up shit. Bad enough hearing them bark all around the neighbourhood.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:20 pm

luvdids wrote:
Re: cats vs dogs, I don't recall any news stories about cats attacking children/people. Or councils impounding cats for attacking other pets/animals. Not for food mind you, just for the fun of it.

That's faulty reasoning. It just means the cats are getting away with murder, a point that's been made before here. Dogs are held to way higher standards than cats. (As for the first bit, I'll need a whole new comment for that... It's actually a very disturbing issue.)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:32 pm

luvdids wrote:

As for being ridiculed for not having a dog? I'd rather not spend my time picking up shit. Bad enough hearing them bark all around the neighbourhood.

Same here. This is one reason I’d never want to own a dog.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:55 pm

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
^ Look, I'm not saying you're wrong about the first part. Maybe we can just agree that all left-wing people, right-wing people and pet owners are terrible and leave it at that. Laughing

Actually the slightly serious part here is that Swoop suggested that I like dogs because I like to dominate others. Which was a weird personal attack amid a pretty harmless thread, and untrue on multiple grounds. But if you can’t get a kick, you play the man, I guess.

*cough cough* a thread about genocide and murder, more like. I think a few cat lovers might have been provoked, that's all. Wink

Well, he’s edited the OP now, which might almost pass for an apology.

If killing feral cats is “genocide and murder”, then what is it that cats do, again ?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Whatever the verb form of being adorable is! (Kind of like Ted Bundy, I guess – charming serial killers.)
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
*cough cough* a thread about genocide and murder, more like. I think a few cat lovers might have been provoked, that's all. Wink

If killing feral cats is “genocide and murder”, then what is it that cats do, again ?

The OP was edited 3 minutes after posting... so I doubt anyone saw the original and also doubt the original was more provocative... Maybe the truth hurts.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 pm

K wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

The OP was edited 3 minutes after posting... so I doubt anyone saw the original and also doubt the original was more provocative... Maybe the truth hurts.

Tell me what the truth in that statement was, K, and how you’ve arrived at that judgement. Or are you going to hide behind that weaselly “maybe” ?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:17 pm

David wrote:
Whatever the verb form of being adorable is! (Kind of like Ted Bundy, I guess – charming serial killers.)

Yep, serial killers with pretty faces. “Adorable” is not how I’d describe their way with a captive bird or mouse. Torturous is the only word that actually fits. For all that, they’re cats, so they do what cats do. I just don’t really understand why people would regard their evident habits as adorable.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:21 pm

K wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

I edited the OP within 3 minutes of posting because I noticed a spelling mistake.

In content and context, it was and is unchanged from the original.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Tell me what the truth in that statement was, K, and how you’ve arrived at that judgement. Or are you going to hide behind that weaselly “maybe” ?

First, I should say I'm not sure David's comment was about the OP specifically... (Probably not, I'd guess.) So it could be a suggestion that any statement about undesirable cat characteristics in this thread, no matter how true and diplomatically stated, upsets cat lovers. If that is David's suggestion, and if furthermore it is correct, then "maybe the truth (about cat evil) hurts (cat lovers)". [Does not David's comment about "genocide" and "murder" refer to the cat lovers' comments?]

Last edited by K on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14   

Jump to: