Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The draw so far has helped us to 2nd spot

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

didick wrote:
^It's easy to look straight at the numbers. But as with individual player stats like disposals you have to look deeper.

If you consider we were up against the Giants in the last quarter but were decimated by injuries that whole game, then the stat becomes 2-4 against teams in the top 10. Then against Richmond we definitely gave them a run for their money, probably one of their toughest opponents for the better part of the year, and on their turf too. And even against the Cats we had a shocker and had injuries during the game and still weren't thumped.

Take those three games into consideration alone in the big picture and we're a pretty good competitor. I think we deserve to be where we are. The problem is now that with some tough games coming up, they could cloud our image as we have lost so many more players and we haven't got anywhere near our best team on the park.

So screw the supposed softness of the draw, the only thing holding us back this year is injuries. With a tougher draw and fewer injuries I believe we'd still be in the 8, quite comfortably.

yes, i agree. In fact, in nearly every one of our losses, we have been in the game at some point. Reality is though that most of the games we've ended up losing by 4-6 goals. These are not generally considered close scores.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:43 pm

^^^

Although I’m not an advocate for “ what if’s “, sometimes it’s the injuries on the day that have a bigger impact on the outcome more so than the ongoing void they create in the following weeks.
I firmly believe we would have beaten GWS if not for the players we lost during the game. Broomhead was in the first couple mins and Moore ( I think ) shortly after. We lost that game by 15 points.

We have lost MULTIPLE players DURING a game in virtually every game we have played this year. Straight away you are resorting to your plan B and becoming reactive in nearly all of your strategy plans. This MAY also be compounding our hamstring issues because of less available rotations.

It’s actually not as bad when you have a weeks planning to replace an injured player. At least you start with 22 again and your plans are formulated on the back of the players you have at your disposal.

For mine, it’s been more about a couple of the games lost on that same day because of injuries, as opposed to the ensuing games.
Yes I know we can’t replace Dunn and Treloar for the rest of season but that’s why we have lists of 40 odd.

Port would have beat Freo with Ryder and Gray on the park ( thankfully that’s not our problem ) However they will start with 22 again next week.
Hawks are now without McEvoy and Sicily for a month but at least they have time to adjust. It can all change very quickly and it’s nearly always in the wrong direction.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Results falling our way, in this round - mostly.

Losses for Dees, Swans and PA.

Oh, and .... Kangas. Smile

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: