Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies dump Dons - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Crisp and De Goey were the two direct “ins” as part of the Beams deal. Man, how good did that deal look today !!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:53 am

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
In case anyone else has, like me, an unwarranted, irrational dislike of Jake Stringer....

I don’t think it is possible to have such a dislike of Stringer.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:58 am

That was the best....enough said
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:02 am

masoncox wrote:
Leggie wrote:
masoncox wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
It is now certain that we are a very well coached side. The true test is how you perform with first choice players out. Does the game plan still stand up? In our case it absolutely has.

We have been well coached this year and crap coaching the last 6.
It is a simple as that.

Nah..

Weve always been well coached.
Its just finally coming together.

And we are playing for each other.
We are this year, a team.

Go Pies. You good friggin things you.

I could just say scoreboard.
But you can't fault this year coaching.
Even during the dark days of the last few years
Most players didn't mind Buckley.
He lost one or 2 players but he never lost the playing group as such.
He lost me for quite a while.
But you have to give him credit at this point in time.

You could say “scoreboard”, but then you’d miss at least 80% of what’s important in coaching. You’d have had to say it in 2004-2006 as well, even though nobody now thinks Malthouse was a poor coach (though many did, back then). The scoreboard only tells you something when you know that you have the talent. In 2013-17 we didn’t have the talent, though it was - through trial and error - being built.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:05 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
masoncox wrote:

But you have to give him credit at this point in time.

Yep, credit to Bucks, to the whole coaching team and above all, to the players.

I was really worried about Mihocek not going back, as Howie was our really our only "tall" defender down there, but as usual, I know little and the coaching team know far more. Wink

^ never a truer word spoken, for all of us. Football and politics are the main areas in life where those without proven experience or full information assume they could do a better job than those who have both.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:28 am

^ You've never done I.T. support.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 am

Geek wrote:
^ You've never done I.T. support.

I have, actually, and you’re right !!!

bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:22 am

Super win. Proud of the boys. Just when you think we are done, they find something more.
I thought we defended the middle of the ground really well. A couple of times when the Essendon runners tried to open us up through the middle, Crisp and Adams stopped them in their tracks with great tackles.
Generally, we looked very organised and stifled the Bombers' game plan of fast play-on footy. Criedit to the coaches for this.

Special mentions for our most influential players in this match:

Sidey - gave his all, super player. That goal on his left is GOTY so far. All class. Congrats on 200 Sidey!
DeGoey - proved the matchwinner. Essendon's answer is Stringer..thank your mother for the rabbits.
Grundy - awesome game. Best ruckman in the AFL.
Cox - really stood up for us. His tap to Mihocek from the long high ball in that last that led to the DeGoey goal was very good.
Pendles - massive game for us. Thank you Captain.
Adams - desperation personified. Great tackle to bring down Long for the sealer.
Crisp - man, this guy has electrifying pace, especially when he gets into his stride. Went past Doper players like they were standig still. A couple of his inside 50 kicks were poor though.
Maynard - contested really well, and has really cut down his clanger count, while being dependable by foot.
Howe - some crucial marks for us in the last to repel the Dopers.
Stevo - just keeps presenting and makes the opposition nervous. Missed a couple of set shots today, but generally dependable.
Mihocek - contested really well, like him in the side as he gives us something different up forward.
Daics was good in traffic. Still finding his way, and needs anotehr pre-season but so far doing well.
Sier - another solid game. Some of his handballs are seriously good. Has a nice kicking action. If he can get a sprinkle of DeGoey explosiveness rub off on him in the next preseason, we will have another very good player on our hands.

Go Pies! Bring on West Coast. Let's get a big crowd there next week, and send the Toasters packing.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:33 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

How did you see that with you guys stepping up in the last quarter?
Quote:
"It was a different kind of win for us. We started the game well, but we didn't play great footy through the second and third. I don't want to take credit away from the opposition because they were really good I thought to grind their way back into the game after getting three goals down early. They pretty much dominated the second quarter and the early part of the third. I thought aerially they were in charge in front of the ball and behind it and we challenged our boys on either side of the ball at half time. I thought Cox's response, Mihocek's response and Brodie Grundy was really strong. I thought De Goey made a big impact in that to in having to take him out of the midfield and put him forward to help out with that aerial contest. It was a significant shift in the game and those four boys along with others like Howe who started plucking them which was an important part of arresting control of the air which ultimately helped us in the last quarter".

What are your thoughts on Pendles' final quarter?
Quote:
"He had nearly 20 contested possessions, 11 clearances for the game so he was pretty good throughout. He lifted when he needed to. I can't understate the significance of Steele's milestone. It's really interesting that over the journey I've seen milestones as another game. Mick [Malthouse] always said don't count the games, but make the games count so that's one that did stick with me. I don't know, but for whatever reason this one was really significant. They're all significant and we had Howe a couple of weeks ago and Pendles himself. With some significant personalities in our club being celebrated, I couldn't overstate the significance of that. Pendles' performance, Tay Adams, Jeremy Howe and guys that are arm and arm with Steele in the leadership group along with Grundy and Cox are probably guys that really lifted for us in that last 30 minutes".

It was a big moment when Steele got a 50m and converted which was the last lead change of the game
Quote:
"Yeah, well he started it for us with his goal from long range and then he finished it off. I think Steele himself will say that's the heaviest he's felt all season. He didn't really have the run in his legs that he normally enjoys. I think that was the type of day it was for us and it wasn't one that came easy. It was one that we needed to grind out. It was one that we needed to win in a different manner compared to some of our previous wins I suppose. To be honest, it makes it even more meritorious and enjoyable the fact that we really needed to grind this one out against a clearly motivated opponent who were up and about and playing good footy".

How important was it for Hoskin-Elliott to play the game out and to have that extra rotation after Ambrose went down?
Quote:
"I think bar a five minute patch in the third, Will wasn't able to do a great deal, but he did by holding up his end. In many ways, he's had games where he's had more impact but it's not always what you can do at your top end but sometimes it's making your bottom end 10 or 15% better and he was important for us to be able to rotate through. He's a dangerous player, so when you see him running around the forward line he does get attention so we were able to draw a defender to him. That takes guts as well to be able to run around when you're clearly less than 100%".

What's Hoskin-Elliott injury?
Quote:
"At this stage, it's just a bruised shin. He copped a knee-on-knee in front of his shin. It's a really badly bruised leg. It will obviously take some time to settle so we'll see how he goes in the next few days".

So not a knee, but shin?
Quote:
"Yeah, apparently just right at top of his lower leg".

What about Appleby's injury?
Quote:
"It looked like a hammy. We'll get scans and gauge the significance of it. You'd think Flynn would miss a month of footy with that".

What does it say about the development of the team to be able to win it in different ways. 12 months ago this was beyond what Collingwood were capable of?
Quote:
"We've had good wins. This reinforces that we can win in different ways. We did grind it out, but we also had to adjust the way we were playing. We didn't show as much dare as we normally do with the ball. We didn't shift the angles as much. You have to give Essendon credit for the way they defended because I think their defensive mechanisms were better. We were able to shift the ball a little bit better and potentially that means your aerial targets are able to find themselves a bit more space when you're a little less predictable with the ball in hand. We're accountable for that as a team and to be able to shift that mid-stream and be able to get that back on track shows maturity and growth from the players on the field. We've got six or seven blokes who haven't played a lot of footy so they're getting pretty good exposure of what's expected. They're getting led really well by the guys out on the field. That last 30 minutes was pretty important for us".

How did your back six hold up with Langdon and Scharenberg being the keys? Is that something you will monitor going forward with your aerial work?
Quote:
"Scharenberg, Langdon and Appleby (before his injury) are really strong aerial players. You look across the competition and there's some blokes who have an enormous aerial impact and they're not considered key backs. We will need to consider that as we go along and it will be a little bit on what the opposition's forward line is asking of us. If you've got a Ben Brown, it will probably ask you a different question. We thought Scharenberg was okay on McKernan and Langdon and Howe held up when they needed to. We were done in the air all over the ground in the first half. Deep back was not the major concern aerially, but those boys stood up".

Eagles next week with a different forward line?
Quote:
"They've been very different forward in the last 3 or 4 weeks to what they were early in the year so we'll have a look at it. Obviously, the GWS and West Coast game is taking place at the moment and we'll have a look at that and keep our ears pilled to any potential changes, but largely we'll be looking at our own stuff again and how we think we can get the best out of the group out of the fit and available players that we can put on the park".

How did Darcy Moore go today [in the VFL]?
Quote:
"Darcy went well. Our VFL had a really good win. Darcy played well. Varcoe got through really well. Josh Smith for his first game back. We had Sam McLarty and Max Lynch who are young talls who performed well. Our profile is looking a little bit better, but in the end we've got the same challenges that every club has. We won't have the same 22 week in week out and we've got to have guys who can come in and play their role for the team and we're really confident that we've got a squad that are set up with the mentality and the capabilities of doing that".

How far away do you think Darcy Moore is from playing senior footy?
Quote:
"We'll let the dust settle on his first game back and speak with him and the VFL boys to see how he finished off the game and we'll assess it on that".

We saw the sliding in rule enforced today with Levi Greenwood sliding into McDonald-Tipungwuti? What are your thoughts on it?
Quote:
"It could have gone either way. There was a fair bit of crowd interaction unnoticed early in the game. There's some 50-50 contests in that of protecting the head or lower leg. I think we've got to be careful to not make duplicitous rules that could go one way or another. You really want to avoid the grey area as much as you can. I think Levi could have got the free but it went against him".

Is there a way to avoid those duplicitous rules?
Quote:
"Don't put a rule in that counteracts another rule. I think that largely we're trying to protect the players on field and I understand all of that. We had a player break a leg (Gary Rohan) way back when and the rule came in off the back of that. I think we've been pretty good with it. Is it the rule or is it just bad luck? When you get wet games you're going to get some boys who will go to ground. I think Tay [Adams] gave a below the knee free kick away diving on the ball. He's had a couple the last three or four weeks now. When the head gets involved; I will let you debate but it's pretty 50-50".

When discussing rules changes, should they get rid of it?
Quote:
"I won't be definitive on it. I won't give you a headline on that. I think that the right mechanisms are in place. I think the game is in better shape than people give it credit for. Some games will be more dour maybe because of conditions, maybe because of tactics, maybe because players are two-thirds the way through the season and their legs are a little bit heavier on a particular day. You will see some good footy and we see some good footy so let's celebrate the good stuff".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-07-08/raw-buckley-reflects-on-gutsy-win

Last edited by Jezza on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:42 am; edited 3 times in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 am

warburton lad wrote:
Fabulous win- character and grit against the odds.

Next week

Murray for Appleby
Brown for Daicos
Varcoe for Hoskin-Elliott

Moore, Smith, Elliot and possibly Faz will play in the intra-club next week.

Was fabulous to see Goldy interviewed at half time

Will never listen to Channel Seven commentary that includes Nigel Carmody or Jude Bolton ever again

Agree. Jude Bolton hates the Pies, and his comments wherever possible were made to demean us.
He was a real drag to listen to during the game.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:30 am

Jezza wrote:
Buckley's Press Conference:

Quote:
"... I think we've got to be careful to make duplicitous rules that could go one way or another. You really want to avoid the grey area as much as you can. I think Levi could have got the free but it went against him".

Is there a way to avoid those duplicitous rules?

Duplicitous rules?? Huh?? Shocked Shocked Confused Confused

What has the coach been drinking?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:21 am

^ nice work, Jezza, thanks. Since the video is available on the .collingwoodfc website, I’m not sure the effort you must put into this is justified by the slight added convenience for me to read it this way, but thanks !
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 am

Watch some Tiger games and see their captain go about his job without any fuss —just leads by example

Well our captain the equal of a premiership captain and what’s more will be one very soon

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:22 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
In case anyone else has, like me, an unwarranted, irrational dislike of Jake Stringer, let me state that he managed 1 point today.

Langdon thrashed him - not that a number of the folk on here will want to acknowledge that.

False again P4S. From midway through the first term to late in the 3rd Essendon played Hurley as there free man in defence. Langdon was ours hence his 15 touches in the first half. Watch the game again closely. Hurley took about 6000 intercept marks by being allowed to drift in contest. Langdon provided less intercept marking but did offer many spoils and impacted contest helping other defenders.
Stringer played the majority of his time as a high half forward working into the midfield and only sparingly getting into the forward 50.
If you want a good insight into Langdon's game go to the goal that Stringer set up late in the 3rd when he got out the back then sent it inside for a easy goal to them. Pendles run about 50m to berate Langdon. You can see the vision clearly on TV replay Pendles giving him a absolute spray. This from a calm captain who isn't known for this sort of spray.
Then fast forward to id way through the final term Langdon is in the clear with Mayne 25m ahead of him on the wing 20m clear of a opponent and Langdon misses him by 25m to kick it OOF. Mayne's reaction says it all.
Langdon did some good things yesterday but he still had those brain farts that cost goals. For the record champion data credited him with 2 goals conceded yesterday which is close to his season low tally. Howe also was credited with 2 goals conceded as wa Scharenberg
Crisp was our best defender statistically yesterday
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:33 am

Wow and thanks to the negotiations that kept JDG at Collingwood
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10   

Jump to: