Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Deaths from Domestic Violence

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:01 pm
Post subject: Deaths from Domestic ViolenceReply with quote

I posted this in the depressing thread, but thought in hindsight it deserved it's own where it might be read.

This is a very interesting read.

http://www.coronerscourt.vic.gov.au/resources/e7964843-7985-4a25-8abd-5060c26edc4d/website+version+-+adfvdrn_data_report_2018_.pdf

It's a report done by the coroners court of Victoria into all domestic violence deaths in Australia during the period 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2014.

A couple of key takeouts.

1. During that 4 year period, 121 women died at the hands of a male partner or recently ex partner. Significantly less than the ' 1 a week' figure quoted so often, but still way too many.

2. The number of men killed by a female partner was 28. 18.6% of the total deaths due to domestic violence. Less than the 1 in 3 we see quoted.

3. in 60% of the male deaths at the hand of the female partner, the deceased male was a perpetrator of domestic violence against the woman who killed him.

4. Almost 20% of the males who killed a female partner were Aboriginal. 50% of the females who killed a male partner were Aboriginal

5. Over 20% of males who killed their female partner died of suicide.

6. Almost 50% of males and females who killed their partner were using alcohol at the time.

Interesting data in a lot of ways. I'm not pushing any agenda here in case anyone tries to read something into it, it's just a good report into a serious issue that's quite topical. Draw your own conclusions.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a stat on how many of the men that killed their partner had been a victim of domestic violence? Mainly for the benefit of the its all man bashing crew!

28 men dead, 16 or 17 in self defence, leaves 11. I wonder how many of those were aboriginal since in both sexes they seem to be really over represented. No surprise about alcohols involvement, any stats for drugs? Ice apparently makes people very violent.

Also doesnt take into account the number of women who die early due to damaged caused through domestic violence.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:24 am

No.

At least not that I can see. Not a lot of "self defence" claims, but 92.5% of the men who killed their female partner had been the primary abuser of that woman prior to her death.

So that means in the majority of cases, the death wasn't a one off brain snap but the culmination of a pattern of abuse by the male. So the way to prevent the deaths is to stop the abuse in the first place.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Quote:
So the way to prevent the deaths is to stop the abuse in the first place.

What would this look like? I'm guessing:
1. Intensive intervention and therapy for the perp so that they stop the behaviour.
2. Extensive and extended support for the victim so that someone leaving an abusive relationship can feel confident that they're not going to end up dead.
(nearly 50% of the murders seem to be of ex-partners)

Any and all of this costs a shit load of money and there probably aren't many votes in it. As such, I don't see it happening.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:34 pm

I think it starts with kids, teaching them it's not OK to hit other people. My Son has never struck a woman, despite being severely provoked by at least 2 of his exes, it was drummed into his head from an early age that men don't hit women.

There's a lot of stuff already happening but it's important to get the tone and branding right so you get the vast majority of men who don't do this shit onboard, rather than having them feel marginalised and accused by a "womens lib" issue.

Potentially something like the rebranding of the King Hit to the Cowards Punch.

Instead of saying "Men need to stop raping and assaulting women", reframe the message to be "Men don't rape and assault women, cowardly scum do. Real men treat women with respect"

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:29 pm

I dont understand why anyone hits anybody, except in genuine self-defence, ever - irrespective of gender - and I dont know why we tolerate it as a society. Cowards fight.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:56 pm

Totally agree.

Last night hubby came home to tell me a guy we know is in jail, him and his brother got into a fight Saturday night, he woke up to the cops at his door. Didint remember a thing, but his brother was in hospital. This guy is well over 6 feet tall and built like a double brick shithouse. Not sure what injuries his brother has, but $$%^%%$ hell. Ive known this guy a long time, no way I saw that coming.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 pm

^

They got in a fight with each other?

Brothers fighting is hardly unusual, it starts shortly after the 2nd one is born.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:27 pm

But not to this degree, so sad
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:47 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

They got in a fight with each other?

Brothers fighting is hardly unusual, it starts shortly after the 2nd one is born.

Laughing Laughing

Only if Cain's able.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:56 am

Domestic violence:

https://www.news.com.au/national/crime/breaking-two-reported-dead-in-shooting/news-story/3869ca91f04e7777967c7a15ec06d42d

I've just starting reading "This House of Grief" by Helen Garner on Robert Farquharson when he drove his kids into the dam near Colac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_House_of_Grief

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:32 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Domestic violence:

https://www.news.com.au/national/crime/breaking-two-reported-dead-in-shooting/news-story/3869ca91f04e7777967c7a15ec06d42d

Some confusing elements in that story.

The guy was "known" to Police, but you don't get to acquire and legally keep "powerful handguns" if you have any history of violence, domestic or otherwise. There's a lot of checks and balances you have to go through, as well as ongoing checks.

One of the first things the cops would do if there was any allegation of domestic violence would be, apart from checking the persons history, check if they have a gun licence and what guns are registered to them.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:18 pm

The arsehole planned the whole thing. Prick to say the least. "I'll show you: I'll kill the kids then myself just to show you .....".

Of course I'll refain from comment until all the facts are known

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/how-a-father-planned-the-execution-of-his-two-children-20180706-p4zpve.html

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:55 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Domestic violence:

I've just starting reading "This House of Grief" by Helen Garner on Robert Farquharson when he drove his kids into the dam near Colac.

I did now know she had written that, and I will read it shortly. Helen Garner seems to me one of the greatest Australians of our generation : compassionate, realistic, balanced and wise. Id make her Governor-General, if I could.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:30 am

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Domestic violence:

I did now know she had written that, and I will read it shortly. Helen Garner seems to me one of the greatest Australians of our generation : compassionate, realistic, balanced and wise. Id make her Governor-General, if I could.

I agree. Have you read "Joe Cinque's consolation" ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: