Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Suns - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have started to fear injuries in games.

And you're probably right about it costing us a real shot.

How many will be ready to play come September?

From what I've read:

Heater_39 wrote:
Adam Treloar unlikely
Jamie Elliott Possibly
Darcy Moore Yes
Travis Varcoe Yes
Lynden Dunn Will know more come Monday
James Aish Possibly
Daniel Wells unlikely
Alex Fasolo Possibly
Ben Reid Possibly

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:34 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

Fling aimlessly into packs that that we already outnumber to leave your man alone on the deck to mop up the crumbs is deplorable. 9 times out of 10 he fails to impact the contest an simply gets in the way before being a non player once he crashes to the ground. There’s ‘contesting’ and there’s SMART contesting.

Are you sure you're not exaggerating the 9 times out of ten RH? Laughing I take your point if that's the way he attacks the game all the time, but I'm not sure that's entirely correct.
Either way, it probably doesn't really matter .... who can you put back down there at the moment, while injuries are taking their toll? Maybe if Moore can come back and play some decent football, he may be replaced.

Scharenberg's spot has his name crossed out and Moore's written over the top in red texta.

You back on the Schaz hate train? He’s been outclassed by bigger bodies in recent weeks, but was back to being very good today for a 20 gamer.

I don't hate him. He just isn't a CHB and he's way too slow to play AFL. When he has the ball in his hands, he's very good but that's a bit of a luxury in a backline that doesn't have much leg speed to start with. So, if Moore is right, out he goes and in comes the bigger, faster, better model.

Part of the problem you see when you watch Langdon is that he (and others, like Howe) are trying to play their own man and cover for the "Space to Rent" at CHB, as well. Langdon has good judgement - but he's obviously under orders to get across to try to compete in the air to help Scharenberg, which is fair enough on the Coach's part when your CHB is leaking 6 marks inside 50 per game. Thus, instead of Langdon being used to create as an outside player, peeling off (which is what the Coach intends), he's being forced to play a contested style of game. Tonight, half his disposals were contested (he had the most contested possessions of any Pie player after Adams, Grundy, Thomas and Pendlebury), which is not his game and not what the team needs. If you re-watch tonight's match, you'll see that the Suns looked like they were going to bust the game wide open at CHF but Schaz escaped much attention because they didn't nail the shots on goal they got there against him.

On the up side of the ledger this evening, though, Crocker played a fine game and used the ball very well (best DE on the team tonight - I understand it's a dubious stat but that is a huge step up for him). That's good, because he takes Mayne's spot playing high half-forward/wing when either Elliott or Aish is ready to play.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:37 am
Post subject: Re: These injuries will probably cost us a premiership :(Reply with quote

Heater_39 wrote:
What a magnificent team effort it has been to get ourselves into 2nd position at this stage of the year.

We look every bit of a real competitor. Unfortunately, ultimately I believe our injuries will cost us the ultimate chance to win a flag.

This latest injury to our full back in Lynden Dunn will most likely be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

Could you imagine if we only had 2 of the following group out;

Adam Treloar
Jamie Elliott
Darcy Moore
Travis Varcoe*
Lynden Dunn
James Aish
Daniel Wells
Alex Fasolo
Ben Reid

I firmly believe that if we had two injuries of the above that we would be as close as a certainty for a premiership as you can get.

I am as flat as a tack. I now go to Collingwood games fearing injuries and spend a lot of my time worry about who will go down next.

I know that Bucks has said that Dunn has a jarred knew with some damage to be revealed by scans, but let’s be honest. It has ACL written all over it.

The frustration is real.

It's simply heart-breaking, isn't it. It has been devastating to see. The Adam Treloar injury really did me in and if Dunn has seriously injured his knee, then I'll have to tell my black and white heart to close up shop till next season I think. Can't cope with the pain of it all. Crying or Very sad
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:39 am

Dunn's been in a good run of form but he's not the solution at full-back, so if anyone playing tomorrow puts their hand up for next week, that would be good.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:41 am

Crocker replacing Mayne? He hasn't played any game that has matched Mayne's top few this season. He's very limited both for position and skillset. Mayne gives us much more quality and flexibility.

Scharenberg's not a CHB and hasn't played as one most games. He's played perfectly fine games as a half back back flanker.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:41 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
A team comprising of Crocker, Sier, Mihocek, Daicos, Cox, Langdon, Phillips, Stephenson, Scharenberg can’t be second for long. Surely. As good as some of these youngsters are, we need to start getting players back and quick smart. The next month will prove whether our soft draw is the reason why we’re currently second (excluding the Melb Win). Unconvincing wins vs stK, WB, Carl and GC are hardly things to get excited about, but the Melb game is. No Treloar will be telling I fear.

I'm not targeting you RH ... truly... but Cox, Stephenson and Scharenberg do not belong in that list of yours!!! They stay in the team IMHO regardless of who we can get back, as long as they can can remain injury-free of course. Each of them has fully contributed to where we are at the moment.

You misunderstood me a little. Who would think a team comprising of these players could be second? An American with 20 games, a teenager, a guy coming back from 27 surgeries. I’m definitely not saying they all go out. Some of the lesser likes in my list will need to be replaced by the likes of Varcoe, Aish, Moore, Elliott, Treloar at some stage if we are to be serious contenders. With our tough run coming up, I don’t think tonight’s line up can keep it going (fatigue, more attention from opposition - see Phillips). It’s an amazing achievement thus far, but still too much sloppiness and lack of composure from the bottom half dozen or so. It’s a wonderful effort, but not a premiership contending team on paper yet. And we’re running out of time with some of our injured players.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:43 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Dunn's been in a good run of form but he's not the solution at full-back, so if anyone playing tomorrow puts their hand up for next week, that would be good.

I’m pretty sure he’s our solution for 2018.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:44 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

I don't hate him. He just isn't a CHB and he's way too slow to play AFL. When he has the ball in his hands, he's very good but that's a bit of a luxury in a backline that doesn't have much leg speed to start with. So, if Moore is right, out he goes and in comes the bigger, faster, better model.

Of course, he's not a CHB - he's simply not tall enough, or fast enough. However, as previous discussion on this forum has mentioned, he has an uncanny ability to read the ball and to be where he needs to be. Did you miss the number of times he spoilt GC marks tonight and delivered accurately out of the back line?
It would be a huge plus if Moore could come back in and take up the CHB role, but if that happens, Scharenberg should stay and perhaps young Appleby needs to go (unfortunately for him).
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:45 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Crocker replacing Mayne? He hasn't played any game that has matched Mayne's top few this season. He's very limited both for position and skillset. Mayne gives us much more quality and flexibility.

Scharenberg's not a CHB and hasn't played as one most games. He's played perfectly fine games as a half back back flanker.

Crocker makes some nice leads to the wing. He’s neat. But he’s hardly a game changer or irreplaceable. We’re in trouble if we don’t have players pushing Crocker out of the squad. Doesn’t put much of a foot wrong, but a little too beige and samey for our team right now. Losing Treloar and adding Crocker can’t be our solution ongoing. Elliott, Varcoe, Aish need to get their injuries right ASAP.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:46 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

You guys could have won by more?
Quote:
"I thought the Suns played really well from the get go. I thought we played as good of footy in the first two and a half quarters as we've played. I really thought it was a challenging contest. The first quarter was an arm wrestle and we then arrested it and we played some really good footy in the second quarter and early in the third and then we dropped right off. It looked like physically we weren't able to maintain it and it was an up and back game. It was an ugly game of footy for the last 45 minutes. We played some of our best footy and some of our worst".

Was it fatigue in the end or a drop off in intensity?
Quote:
"We had a bit of a chat in the end. We had a period there (and this is on us) in the third quarter where we didn't rotate anyone for about 20 minutes so that was on us and I think that bites you. That might be a little bit of a heads up to what it looks like if you want drop rotations right back, then that's what the footy will look like as the players will be that fatigued that the skills will drop right off. We think that was a significant factor in our last quarter and the back part of the third quarter. The work rate of our players dropped off. Gold Coast looked like they were able to maintain theirs, but there's plenty of reasons. We will have a look at it, but we didn't like what we saw".

Can you give us an update on Lynden Dunn?
Quote:
"The docs [say] jarred knee. We think there's some damage in there but we don't know what it is. We will scan in the next couple of days and see what we've got".

Does that potentially unsettle you with him being a solid pillar in defence?
Quote:
"Yeah, he's been a really good player for us. Underrated in many ways. He was playing particularly well again tonight. It's concerning as you don't like players that don't finish the game off. We will have a look at that before we get too carried away".

You're 2nd on the ladder, but you're not getting too carried away with it at this stage either?
Quote:
"No. As we've detailed in the last 45 minutes of the game, it's enough to not get carried away with. We will take the win, but we never take anything for granted. I was impressed by Gold Coast's pressure. I thought they pressured really well. Their energy and intensity around the ball was good. Harbrow was a thorn in our side for most of the game especially late when we lost a little bit of our structure. We were really happy with the way we attacked the game early and played for the majority of the game to put that match winning gap in and then it wasn't pretty after that".

One good story for you is Josh Thomas who kicked another four tonight. Amazing comeback by him from where he's been?
Quote:
"Yeah the journey he's travelled has been a pretty tough one. Not many blokes have a couple of years off in the middle of their career and you don't get to see that often. His capacity to do it and fight back and to play the type of footy as consistently as he has this year has been all credit to him. He's hit the scoreboard for us and he even took a contested mark there late. He's not a big unit, but he just uses his body well. He's very clean. He's got a lot of talent. His work rate is high. He covers the ground well and he's starting to get reward for a lot of setbacks, some in his control and some outside of it".

Pretty handy to have Stephenson alongside him as well?
Quote:
"He just keeps showing up. Steven May is probably one of the better one-on-one players in the competition and he was able to win half and win a couple in that first half so that's a fairly a good sign for a first year player against a bloke that's as big and strong as Steven May is so he'll take some confidence out of that".

What about Grundy's game? He did a bit of everything today?
Quote:
"Yeah, slow to start but he got going. He leads our clearances as a ruckman. He follows up. He works as well on the ground as he does in the air. He's a unique player and been really good for us".

Back on the lack of rotations in the third quarter, was the play stuck on one side of the field and you couldn't get players off or was it something else?
Quote:
"I thought when you're going well so sometimes players don't want to come off as they're enjoying themselves that much that they want to stay there, but the discipline to be able to do that is an underrated part of it. You do need to share the load physically between 22 players and when you miss on a couple of rotations it does affect you. When you have 18 blokes who decide to not rotate for a period of time or the play gets stuck, so I think it's probable;y a bit of both. It will come up in our review and we'll see if it's got any merit. At this stage, we're clutching at straws because it went from really good for us to not great. You have to give credit to the opposition, there's a little bit of our rotations, we didn't control the ball quite as well and it got quite slippery. I think for both sides the clean handling went out of the game because I thought it was pretty good for the conditions early. There's a fair few things in the mix".

How big is the next month?
Quote:
"Well, we won't look any further than Essendon which is the only one you haven't mentioned which is next week. We're enjoying the journey. We're really looking after our side of the fence and trying to get the best that we possibly can out of ourselves. Sometimes we achieve that, and sometimes we don't. We're still trying to prove ourselves to be a really good solid team. Our consistency over the majority of the season has been pretty good. We want to increase our top end and we want to make sure our average increases because you have to do that at the pointy end of the year. We look forward to the challenges that are clearly going to come. No matter who is on the other side of the fence, we need to look after our stuff and we will continue to focus there".

I'm sure you don't look at the ladder too much, but does 2nd feel right to you? Does it feel like you belong in that echelon?
Quote:
"The last 40 minutes wouldn't suggest that. What the competition has shown over the last two to three weeks (since the byes) and when you actually start trying to reassess and where do teams fit and who's in final contention, top 4, top 8. I mean you're seeing sides who haven't won a lot of games in the front half of the year be really competitive. It's so cyclical and momentum is key. Bulldogs at the moment have got real momentum in the way they play. Essendon have got real momentum in the way they're playing. Sometimes, you can come up against a side who might not have a lot of wins on the board but they're playing really good footy compared to a side that might be up top who have had a couple of quiet weeks. We're not getting carried away with it all. There's still a lot of work to do".

A solid debut from Brayden Sier?
Quote:
"Yeah, Brayden was excellent. He didn't do a lot wrong. He was nice and strong inside. He made good decisions with the ball more often than not. He's got some pretty good support and some leaders inside (such as) Pendles, Sidebottom, Adams, De Goey was through there for periods and Grundy himself. When you bring a kid up and he brings his strengths to the table but he's got some solid leadership and communication around to help him out and then I think you find out whether the kid can take another step at another level and I think that was an encouraging debut".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-06-30/buckley-faces-gold-coast-media

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53 am

Raw Hammer wrote:

You misunderstood me a little. Who would think a team comprising of these players could be second? An American with 20 games, a teenager, a guy coming back from 27 surgeries. I’m definitely not saying they all go out. Some of the lesser likes in my list will need to be replaced by the likes of Varcoe, Aish, Moore, Elliott, Treloar at some stage if we are to be serious contenders. With our tough run coming up, I don’t think tonight’s line up can keep it going (fatigue, more attention from opposition - see Phillips). It’s an amazing achievement thus far, but still too much sloppiness and lack of composure from the bottom half dozen or so. It’s a wonderful effort, but not a premiership contending team on paper yet. And we’re running out of time with some of our injured players.

Point taken RH. I did misunderstand what you saying and of course, I agree with this post of yours. Imagine how we could go if we got those players you mention back and they played as if they had not missed huge slabs of footy through injury.
Even though some of them are on the cusp (Varcoe, Moore,Jamie, Aish), I do worry about their lack of match hardness because of their interrupted seasons. Definitely Jamie, Varcoe and Treloar would make a huge difference if they could play at their best. We've been dealt such a rubbish hand with injuries.
Thanks for expanding on your original post.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:31 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I’m pretty sure he’s our solution for 2018.

Agreed he has been a great leader down there.

www.facebook/the hybernators
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:44 am

One of the more enjoyable moments tonight after our win was looking over and seeing Clarko's face after his squawks lost suck it ya tadpole

www.facebook/the hybernators
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:46 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Surely enough is enough with Langdon. A spell in the VFL to give him a rev up. Nothing against him personally, but sweet Jesus he has either no awareness or hasn’t given up his pre game bong ritual. Only until the final 10 mins did he actually show a modicum of urgency. His slow as treacle decision making is going to be costly come finals time if he doesn’t get a kick up the bum.

Got no one to take his Place Though

It's interesting how we can see the game differently. I don't think Langdon is that bad RH. Sure, he's not the fastest player out of half-back, but he contests valiantly and as Dave says, who else could you put there, except maybe Mihocek.

Fling aimlessly into packs that that we already outnumber to leave your man alone on the deck to mop up the crumbs is deplorable. 9 times out of 10 he fails to impact the contest an simply gets in the way before being a non player once he crashes to the ground. There’s ‘contesting’ and there’s SMART contesting.

However, he is the first player picked in the back six every week.

Appleby 7 clangers from 10 disposals (seriously, I just had a look) and you want Langdon out?

I guess I’m not the only one to notice some of your boy Langdon’s shortcomings. This from a ‘rival’ forum:

“I would like to see Langdon halve the time between taking possession and disposal. The extra step or two; the unnecessary baulk; the long look back at 45 degrees; the feigned handball before kicking etc all need to go and the fast first option should be selected.”

“I was pulling my hair out tonite with him doing that! If he cleaned that up it would save a few goals a game.”

E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:25 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
I didn't watch the game unfortunately, but have just tuned into the conversation. I find it utterly absurd that Bucks should complain that "we didn't have any rotations" for an extended period, and that this could have caused our skills to erode due to fatigue. Surely rotations are not decided by the players on the field?? Surely the coaches have responsibility to manage this aspect in order to rationally co-ordinate our manpower?? I find such a statement to be deeply concerning in how totally inexplicable and ridiculous it sounds.

this is the most tired i have seen us all year. In the last quarter and a half, every single effort seemed maximum. We looked ragged, our structures broke down and we just scrapped as best we could. In the end, very lucky that the suns couldnt kick straight or take advantage of their chances or it would have been a real contest.

At half time i bet everyone was banging on about percentage. Just win the game! Turned out that maybe talk of a percentage boost contributed to our loss of team structure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: