Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Big Bad Barry

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ The comment shows zero respect for women other than as exploitable objects of lust when in a state of pain and vulnerability. If you think its prudish to feel that, well, there is no disputing matters of taste, I suppose : but I think nearly everyone in the human race would feel that this was gross and crass, and unfit for public radio.

I get that, but I also feel like theres a patriarchal aspect to some discourse around respect for women. I believe in treating all people with respect, but I dont believe in treating women as aliens who need to be put on a pedestal (a view that I think some people, particularly some men in the AFL community, have taken a little too much to heart). I know its not strictly analogous, but I feel like a similarly dark joke about, say, a prostate examination (also a somewhat invasive process that entails pain and vulnerability) wouldnt have caused many people to bat an eyelid.

I also think its possible to disapprove of something or be offended by it without getting performatively outraged about it, an art that many people seem to have forgotten.

I agree.

Hall is a cretin and it was certainly crude but given Montagna was quite prepared to start the banter when describing a doctor having to insert a couple of fingers up his wives vagina and the rest of the commentary were all to happy to giggle along with him it's a bit rich to single Hall out when he took a chance and went a step to far with the "humour" (and once again Montagna and the rest giggled along).

I can agree it wasn't the right time or place for the joke but if we held all professional comedians up to this level of scrutiny it would be a bland world.

PC gone mad.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:07 pm

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ The comment shows zero respect for women other than as exploitable objects of lust when in a state of pain and vulnerability. If you think its prudish to feel that, well, there is no disputing matters of taste, I suppose : but I think nearly everyone in the human race would feel that this was gross and crass, and unfit for public radio.

I get that, but I also feel like theres a patriarchal aspect to some discourse around respect for women. I believe in treating all people with respect, but I dont believe in treating women as aliens who need to be put on a pedestal (a view that I think some people, particularly some men in the AFL community, have taken a little too much to heart). I know its not strictly analogous, but I feel like a similarly dark joke about, say, a prostate examination (also a somewhat invasive process that entails pain and vulnerability) wouldnt have caused many people to bat an eyelid.

I also think its possible to disapprove of something or be offended by it without getting performatively outraged about it, an art that many people seem to have forgotten.

yes all people should be treated with respect, and this just happened to be about a woman, do you think it was respectful? do you think Montagnas wife will see the funny side? her mother? Im guessing hes in the dog house.

as for those modern comedians, isnt it a shame that humour has to go to the gutter to get a laugh these days? dont get me wrong i love a dirty joke, And my favourite christmas carol is the Rodney Rude one, but i dont think a joke directed at a person who cant defend themselves, who is in the public eye through no action of her own (yes thats a different story) needs to hear this on the radio. just crass, cheap laugh not worth the cost. you might want to ask Barry if it was.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:59 pm

A sweep hasn't caused this must outrage since this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kr24G8jQpM

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Damian Barrett on radio just now "disgusting and unacceptable comments". Fair enough, but why didn't you say anything when Hall made the joke? I don't mean confronting the guy (he's frickin big) but even just a "cmon mate, you're better than that" or "cmon mate, that's not right" would've done fine.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:14 pm

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:49 pm

swoop42 wrote:
A sweep hasn't caused this must outrage since this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kr24G8jQpM

Should have listened to this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm5jShnB2kA

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Or what?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:15 pm

That what Happens when they Bringing in Dumb Footballers to call Games
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:16 pm

David wrote:
We really are a bunch of uptight prudes in this country, arent we? Perhaps the recording will be more damning than whats reported on Twitter and elsewhere, but at the moment it just seems to be a bad joke thats managed to break a few taboos (mostly, the concept that pregnancy/childbirth is sacred and must never be sexualised).

More Reason for Man Bashing that been Happening in the Media

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
David wrote:
We really are a bunch of uptight prudes in this country, arent we? Perhaps the recording will be more damning than whats reported on Twitter and elsewhere, but at the moment it just seems to be a bad joke thats managed to break a few taboos (mostly, the concept that pregnancy/childbirth is sacred and must never be sexualised).

More Reason for Man Bashing that been Happening in the Media

No not man bashing, idiot bashing more likely. Only a fool would think it is OK to say what he said on broadcast radio, beside which: it isn't remotely funny.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:15 pm

David wrote:
Thanks for the link, Jezza. Thank god we have the moral arbiters of commercial footy radio around to protect us from such filth.

(BTW if anyone thinks Im being too callous about this, Ive been there with my girlfriend through her 11-hour labour and the 18-hour induction process that immediately preceded it, and witnessed all of the pain, discomfort and invasiveness that entails. I get that its a sensitive topic, and maybe Hall deserved a rap over the knuckles over this and a request from his superiors to wind it back a bit in future. I also think that this is a symptom of a paranoid culture that switches into absolute damage control the minute someone steps over the line and says something inappropriate, and that people just generally need to get the **** over themselves.)

Really? He was off and wasn't remotely funny. Ronrat called it right that Baz will make $ on the sporstman's night circuit and that is where that type of joke belongs. A boofhead wanting to talk to other boofheads. More commercial FM radio offerings, although FM radio is not a sportsmans night. Then again he has been punched in his head many times and if one suffers brain damage then I can see how that would be seen as appealing as lack of judgment, insightlessness and poor impulse control are consistent with brain damage. All quite fitting however for a sportsmans night and some might say listening to FM radio.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:21 am

I didnt think it was funny either, for what its worth. It was a crass and tone-deaf joke that fell flat. I just find all the holier-than-thou hand-wringing over it (including by his employer, who I think overreacted) pretty ridiculous and a sign of where were at as a culture easily offended, easily scared of causing offence and as prudish as ever.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:00 am

^ if you think we are as prudish as ever, your sense of history seems miscalibrated. In the West, there has probably not been a time as louche as this since the early 1700s. And we are a thousand times less prudish (a word which carries its own weight of polemic) than we were a bare two generations ago.

Its not a matter of whether it was funny. Its a matter of whether it was an offence to most peoples sense of taste and dignity. It was, and 3MMMs management have a right to make a judgement about whether it was consistent with the brand values they want to project. I think employees have a right to act more or less as they choose outside work, provided they come to work in a manner consistent with the needs of their employer. But this is a case of grossly offensive behaviour at work,while delivering the content of the employers proposition.

On the wider question of whether it is a suitable subject for any public media, well, in the internet age there ae so many practical problems with suppressing it, that it seems hardly relevant.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 am

Social media is alight about Hall's disrespect to women and some are calling it a rape joke.

It's hard to know, but I doubt he would have been sacked if he made the same comment about a male prostrate exam.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:06 am

David mentioned that as well, and while its an interesting question, I suppose, I dont think its really relevant.

Firstly, the joke just wouldnt have been made about a prostate exam. If it were, it would have a quite different set of implications and meaning ; and those would have been so disgusting and bizarre that I suspect it would have had the same result. As an analogy, its clutching at straws.

As someone said, in Halls (slight) defence, what kind of show even gets to the point where this is being discussed about a real person ? MMM management might do well to think about their broader role in this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: