Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Big Bad Barry

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:44 pm
Post subject: Big Bad BarryReply with quote

Whoops

Quote:

Leigh Montagna was talking about his wife and going into labour and how she was having a sweep... He basically said it'd be bad if the doc put 2 fingers up her and licked his fingers

Never heard of someone being fired live on air before. I hope I can track down a copy of the audio.[/quote]
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Baz Baz Baz. Never good once you go into details in that area.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:32 am

We really are a bunch of uptight prudes in this country, aren’t we? Perhaps the recording will be more damning than what’s reported on Twitter and elsewhere, but at the moment it just seems to be a bad joke that’s managed to break a few taboos (mostly, the concept that pregnancy/childbirth is sacred and must never be sexualised).
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:26 am

https://instaud.io/_/2nai.mp3
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:44 am

Thanks for the link, Jezza. Thank god we have the moral arbiters of commercial footy radio around to protect us from such filth.

(BTW if anyone thinks I’m being too callous about this, I’ve been there with my girlfriend through her 11-hour labour and the 18-hour induction process that immediately preceded it, and witnessed all of the pain, discomfort and invasiveness that entails. I get that it’s a sensitive topic, and maybe Hall deserved a rap over the knuckles over this and a request from his superiors to wind it back a bit in future. I also think that this is a symptom of a paranoid culture that switches into absolute damage control the minute someone steps over the line and says something “inappropriate”, and that people just generally need to get the **** over themselves.)

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:48 am

^ The comment shows zero respect for women other than as exploitable objects of lust when in a state of pain and vulnerability. If you think it’s prudish to feel that, well, there is no disputing matters of taste, I suppose : but I think nearly everyone in the human race would feel that this was gross and crass, and unfit for public radio.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:05 am

If they didn't sack him the haters would have found a way to blame Eddie. Certainly in very poor taste but it was hardly going to turn off the sort of listener to that station. But cue the usual suspects with the outrage.

Hall will make his money back at sportsmans nights.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:55 am

^
yep, Hall has been sacked and Eddie has been mentioned in the article, you have any tips for tonight's lotto numbers? Laughing

https://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/triple-m-sacks-barry-hall-immediately-after-on-air-comment-20180629-p4zooj.html

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:41 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ The comment shows zero respect for women other than as exploitable objects of lust when in a state of pain and vulnerability. If you think it’s prudish to feel that, well, there is no disputing matters of taste, I suppose : but I think nearly everyone in the human race would feel that this was gross and crass, and unfit for public radio.

David is very open minded, it’s certainly not to my taste, but that’s nothing to do with pregnancy, it’s just not something you should be saying to someone about their spouse, and no, certainly NOT. On radio!

The labour bit to me, just makes it even more distasteful.

Poor mans ridney rude wannabe, no great loss, he’s a thug. IMO!

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:54 am

I was listening to the commentary and he didn't just blurt the line out, it was a joke he set up. Can't believe he went with it. No tact whatsoever.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:56 am

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
I was listening to the commentary and he didn't just blurt the line out, it was a joke he set up. Can't believe he went with it. No tact whatsoever.

Oh really? Wow, what a tool! Pregame? Wow, just wow!
Doubly inappropriate !

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:13 am

Was the radio segment sponsored by KFC?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:48 am

Mugwump wrote:

I get that, but I also feel like there’s a patriarchal aspect to some discourse around “respect for women”. I believe in treating all people with respect, but I don’t believe in treating women as aliens who need to be put on a pedestal (a view that I think some people, particularly some men in the AFL community, have taken a little too much to heart). I know it’s not strictly analogous, but I feel like a similarly dark joke about, say, a prostate examination (also a somewhat invasive process that entails pain and vulnerability) wouldn’t have caused many people to bat an eyelid.

I also think it’s possible to disapprove of something or be offended by it without getting performatively outraged about it, an art that many people seem to have forgotten.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:15 am

Not sure I agree. If it had been about a man's prostate it would have been just as distasteful (pun intended)
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:20 am

I agree with what you say re faux outrage, always have, but it's a little different in this case. Of course as I sit here and type this I realise that your point is that it isn't different, except that for once I agree with the persecutors instead of the victim.. you've given me some food for thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: