Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is this a sexist slur?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

If being attractive was a requirement to be a politician, 95% of federal parliament would be out on it's arse.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:42 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Waleed Aly's view.

Gaye Alcorn's view

Catherine Murphy's view

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:44 pm

^ Love it, Wokko Laughing

Sarah Hanson Young - "It is not women's fault that men behave like morons and pigs" - (June 18 2018).

Spoken like a true collectivist, Sarah.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Jezza wrote:
^ Love it, Wokko Laughing

Sarah Hanson Young - "It is not women's fault that men behave like morons and pigs" - (June 18 2018).

Spoken like a true collectivist, Sarah.

“It’s not men’s fault that women behave like morons and pigs.”

This is not an inclusive statement, apparently. It’s clear to me now.

Frankly I think both of these ugly individuals are weasels fighting in a hole. No sane workplace on earth would tolerate behaviours like those we have come to expect from politicians.

Last edited by Mugwump on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:56 pm

^

Classic example of what david said about language.

If she put the work "Some" in front of Men, no issues. By omitting it she's open to accusations of misandry and slurs all men.

Women are equally as capable as men as acting like morons and pigs, they just generally do it differently.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 pm

^ some women are capable of doing so, yes.

The word “some” seems so obviously required in Hanson-Young’s sentence that I surmise she left it out because her own mind is clouded by feminist hatred. Feminism does not have to involve hatred, but for some people, mostly those actuated by monstrous egotism, it does.

Misandry is also a terrible word. I hope it goes away. Misogyny used to be a good word for a very real, very nasty thing, until it was co-opted by Gillard et al to mean “behaviour toward me that I do not like and wish to ban because I am a woman and I can use that angle”.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:21 am

^ Here we go. The right wing boys chorus. Let's blame Sarah Hanson -Young for Leyonhom's behaviour. Really? For goodness sake.

Coming from the same if not similar chorus of those who blame feminism for the plight of men: she was asking for it perhaps? She made me do it. Haven't I seen that before recently?

Pathetic.

Last edited by watt price tully on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:26 am

partypie wrote:
DL is an unattractive attention seeker adding nothing to running the country better

His behaviour is most unattractive: I agree.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:41 am

watt price tully wrote:
^ Here we go. The right wing boys chorus. Let's blame Sarah Hanson -Young for Leyonhom's behaviour. Really? For goodness sake.

Coming from the same if not similar chorus of those who blame feminism for the plight of men: she was asking for it perhaps? She made me do it. Haven't I seen that before recently?

Pathetic.

No, failing to follow the terms of an argument and accusing me (above) of the claque who support rape and domestic violence is the “pathetic” bit. It really is a filthy tactic. Please cite where I have ever suggested these excuses in a case of rape or DV, or have the decency to withdraw.

Why is it that so many Leftists cannot evaluate an argument or a perspective without wanting to literally criminalize the other point of view ? Do you not see that this is what has always doomed your project through history? How can you follow football when you cannot understand the rules of a game of debate and think your side has the right to eye-gouge the other side ?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:54 am

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Pathetic.

No, failing to follow the terms of an argument and accusing me (above) of coded support for rape and domestic violence is the “pathetic” bit.

Why is it that so many Leftists cannot evaluate an argument or a perspective without wanting to literally criminalize the other point of view ? Do you not see that this is what has always doomed your horrible project through history? How can you follow football when you cannot understand the rules of a game of debate and think your side has the right to eye-gouge the other side ?

She made a generalization - if you choose to inset yourself in that generalization then that's up to you. I don't. No need to. No one is accusing you of rape etc. be it Hanson Young or me. I'm surprised you would deliberately choose to see it that way (not coded at all) it's just not there un,ess you choose to perceive that way.

Men do need to stop being violent to women, men do need to stop raping women. Does this mean all men? Of course not.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:03 am

watt price tully wrote:

Nope, completely evident what the above means. It’s a monstrous slur, but your mob are so blinded by self-ordained righteousness that you think you have the right to impute whatever you please, it seems.

Please cite where I have ever suggested that a rape or Dv victim was “asking for it” or “made a man do it”. I am sure you will not be able to do so.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:03 am

Quote:
She made a generalization - if you choose to inset yourself in that generalization then that's up to you. I don't. No need to.
No one is accusing you of rape etc. be it Hanson Young or me. I'm surprised you would deliberately choose to see it that way (not coded at all) it's just not there unless you choose to perceive that way.

OK, here's a statement:
Aboriginies need to stop whinging and get off the dole.
Does it offend you? If so, why?
After all, it's a generalisation. You understand that I don't mean all indigenous people. And if an indigenous person chooses to inset themselves in this generalisation then they're deliberately choosing to see it as racist. That's how your thinking works. Right?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:24 am

No, it isn't - and the appeal to linguistic form in this case is pointless and stupid. "Men" is not a category of routine abuse or vilification in the way that "Aborigines" is. Why is that? Because "Men" actually, by and large, rule the planet but "Aborigines" are systematically subordinated and subjugated.

All political utterance is context-dependent and is actually incapable of being reduced to these sorts of simple formal comparisons.

Naturally, I appreciate that the right-nutters on here won't accept that - but their grindingly tragic failure to accept the obvious doesn't make the obvious any the less obvious.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:57 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
No, it isn't - and the appeal to linguistic form in this case is pointless and stupid. "Men" is not a category of routine abuse or vilification in the way that "Aborigines" is. Why is that? Because "Men" actually, by and large, rule the planet but "Aborigines" are systematically subordinated and subjugated.

All political utterance is context-dependent and is actually incapable of being reduced to these sorts of simple formal comparisons.

Naturally, I appreciate that the right-nutters on here won't accept that - but their grindingly tragic failure to accept the obvious doesn't make the obvious any the less obvious.

I appreciate that the left-nutters on here won’t accept that Hanson Young’s utterances have been quite knowing. The relevant interview is here : https://youtu.be/UicmJWUgPdE

In it she refers to “the need to educate boys and men.... against sexism”, and stated that “it is not women’s fault that men cannot control themselves and women are not responsible because men behave like morons and pigs.” Most women I know (and I know a balance of people with Left and Right leanings) would have inserted the qualifier “some”, especially as the issue had become sensitive well before this interview. She chose not to, and she is an educated politician well aware of the nuances of language.

I described Leyonhjelm above as a weasel fighting in a hole, and I deplore his opportunistic nonsense about misandry. I think his comment and intervention was tacky. But feminism means treating women as equals. It does not require that they get a free pass when they are designating a group of people who had nothing to do with a crime of being “pigs and morons”. She also, be it noted, has one of the worst records of expulsion for the chamber for unparliamentary behaviour of any current member of either house. Women are not delicate flowers who need to be preserved from verbally taking what they hand out.

A statement that “men are not responsible because women behave like pigs and morons” would cause a conflagration. History may provide context, but it does not grant a free hit in this day and age, at least not to Sen H-Y.

To say that is not to applaud Senator Leyonhjelm who is continuing the sad tradition of boorish sledging and personalization in the Australian parliament.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:46 am

Quote:
No, it isn't - and the appeal to linguistic form in this case is pointless and stupid. "Men" is not a category of routine abuse or vilification in the way that "Aborigines" is.

I think these days that "Men" is probably the biggest category of allowable routine abuse and vilification.
Exhibit A.
An opinion piece in a reputable newspaper.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-cant-we-hate-men/2018/06/08/f1a3a8e0-6451-11e8-a69c-b944de66d9e7_story.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: