Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is this a sexist slur?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:03 am
Post subject: Is this a sexist slur?Reply with quote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-28/sarah-hanson-young-accuses-david-leyonhjelm-of-sexist-slur/9920766

I think Senator Leyonhjelm can be accused of using language that is inappropriate for the Australian Parliament but sexist?

Is telling a woman to "stop shagging men" an act of discrimination?
Am I missing something or does Senator Hanson-Young pretty much consider anything and everything offensive?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

"Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young interjected, saying something along the lines of all men being rapists," he said in a statement.

"I responded by suggesting that if this was the case she should stop shagging men.

"I did not yell at her."

He said he would not be withdrawing his remarks.

"I do not agree with Senator Hanson-Young's sentiments about all men being rapists and I believe I have the right to voice my opinion accordingly," Senator Leyonhjelm said.

"That Senator Hanson-Young took offence from my comments is an issue for her, not me.

"However, I am prepared to rephrase my comments. I strongly urge Senator Hanson-Young to continue shagging men as she pleases."

At least the ABC put his comment in context. She's a grub and he called her out on it. I'd say that the only sexist statement is saying all men are rapists.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:37 am

^ dunno if it was sexist, but it was a bit dumb. He needed to call her original comments sexist. He had an angle, and thats the ultimate power game. It doesnt work so well coming from a man to a woman, but since a great deal of the public sexism in our society issues from women at the expense of men (per her original comments), its reasonable for men to try and reclaim it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:03 am

We only have Leyonhjelms word that Hanson-Young said that all men are rapists (frankly, I find that a little hard to believe). But the broader issue is that the language used in parliamentary debates is a boring topic that politicians for some reason think is really, really important but everybody else looks at like a playground spat between five-year-olds. Just the other day, Turnbull, the Prime Minister no less, was making allusions to Bill Shorten sucking off Richard Pratt, which Im sure got him plenty of guffaws on the government side and plenty of outrage from the opposition, and you know what? Nobody cares.

The only relevant thing out of that article that I got was that the exOne Nation guy made a fairly sensible proposal (relaxing laws around pepper spray), and the Greens chose to conflate this reasonable (or at least reasonably arguable) discussion about sexual assault prevention with victim-blaming, and everyone else joined them to put the kibosh on it because, apparently, eradicating the male desire to rape is somehow a foreseeable policy outcome. And meanwhile, the headlines are more concerned with little Sarah crying to mummy and little David smirking about being the king of the playground. Kids, I tell you...

Last edited by David on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:06 am

How many kids do you have?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:05 am

They appear both to have behaved badly. This is no surprise. As Douglas Adams once opined about a distant, imaginary planet, whichever lizard you vote for, a lizard gets in. The biggest problem with our politics is that, whatever brand they are, for the most part the ones capable of doing the job have better things to do with their time, and do those instead.

Of course, if you want a Parliament almost full to the brink with people who reflect various dumb prejudices, we have a reasonably sound system.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:10 am

Leyonhjelms got form. I flip-flop more than Pauline Hanson (about supporting the Lib-Gnats) on whether to consider him a sleazebag or a creep. His attitides to women are out in the pubilc domain.

Hanson-Young is an incredibly brave woman in many respects and her work on the refugees / asylum seekers / boat people on Manus Island (as powerless as she is) in the face of the overwhelming bullying by the undertaker Dutton is (was) highly commendable.

In terms Leyonhjelm here Hanson-Young has every right to call out this pig of a politician.

Later I'll share what I really think about him.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:27 am

Quote:
In terms Leyonhjelm here Hanson-Young has every right to call out this pig of a politician.

That's my problem. I don't understand what she's calling him out for.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:29 am

Where did [quote]In terms Leyonhjelm here Hanson-Young get every right to call out this pig of a politician?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:23 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

That's my problem. I don't understand what she's calling him out for.

Making inappropriate reference to her sex life, I guess. In most professional contexts that'd be a sanctionable offence, but in parliament I guess it's just an average Thursday afternoon.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:57 pm

I can't take Sarah Hanson Young seriously after the Sea Patrol fiasco Laughing
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Wokko wrote:
""However, I am prepared to rephrase my comments. I strongly urge Senator Hanson-Young to continue shagging men as she pleases."

At least the ABC put his comment in context. She's a grub and he called her out on it. I'd say that the only sexist statement is saying all men are rapists.

Agreed 100%, and an extra 10% for the good senator's wit.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm pretty naive so I assume people are telling the truth.
So I take Dave's point that we only have Senator Leyonhjelm's word that she said "something along the lines of all men being rapists".
I tried searching Hansard for the exchange but no luck.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:50 am

Unfortunately David is right, I cant believe the crap they come out with in the glimpses we get on the news, what a $$%^%%$ riot, they get paid a fortune to govern the country and sit around hurling high school insults at each other!
Sexist or not, its inappropriate. Imagine the kudus if he had instead called her out on that comment? Keep your dignity when others go low. Always the winner in the end.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:04 am

Sky news apologises to Sarah Hanson-Young

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jul/01/sky-news-apologises-for-featuring-appalling-comments-about-sarah-hanson-young

More pathetic toxic men of the Leyonhjelm ilk.

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: