Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eurydice Dixon

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that remind you of it? ?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:10 pm

Wokko wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Oh, no, the skin is unbroken. Those of us on the moderate right get used to being called all kinds of names by people who confuse their feelings with ideas. It’s rare that anyone is so creepy as to imply that we sympathise with domestic violence and rape, but when you are dealing with an inherently totalitarian mind and ideology, these things happen.

You're speaking for wokko, too, are you? Laughing

I'm about as cut up as I get when a biscuit falls into my coffee. Men collectively abusing other men or masculinity to feel better about themselves is trait of the weak. Abuse the rapist all you want, but if you have some belief that "all men" want to rape then take a good hard look into the mirror because you're projecting.

Someone calling themselves a male fe

minist starts the clock on the sexual harassment law suit.

Seriously that coffee is a chuck away ugh

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:17 pm

The alleged killer is in court atm:

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/courts-law/jaymes-todd-to-front-twoday-plea-hearing-over-rape-and-murder-of-eurydice-dixon/news-story/09eefaca3f1229df7881141bd6678edb

Quote:
The court heard Todd was attracted to Ms Dixon and followed her with the purpose of sexually assaulting her after she left her boyfriend following a night at a comedy show.

“Ms Dixon’s appearance … was of a sexual interest to him,” his lawyer conceded.

“On any measure, this is an extremely serious … brazen and brutal attack,” he said.

“There was no justification for his conduct.”

Todd’s lawyer tried to make a case that murder was an afterthought and that he did not entertain the idea of killing Ms Dixon until she walked into the empty park.

But Supreme Court Judge Stephen Kaye said Todd was at the very least entertaining the idea of murder as part of a sexual fantasy driven, in part, by his interest in so-called “snuff films”.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 pm

That's a hard read. I think he's heading for a long time in gaol, it's a shame her family has to go through this
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:28 am

Jail isn’t enough.
Shouldn’t be a many about it, it was planned start to finish. Chuck away the key

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Quote:
Defence counsel Tim Marsh urged the judge not to impose a life sentence, arguing that there was no evidence his client had intended to kill Ms Dixon when he followed her into Princes Park.

Mr Marsh said it was entirely possible that Todd killed out of panic to escape detection, not out of murderous intent.

Can you believe that? What world do these defence lawyers live in?

He killed her, end of story. The fact that he might have killed Eurydice Dixon to escape detection surely only makes matters worse!

I'm sick to death of these do-gooder lawyers getting people off on lighter sentences when for the most of human history people lived by one rule: "An eye for an eye!"

Besides how could we ever be sure that this guy wouldn't kill again if he's described as a "sexual sadist"?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:31 pm

It's the defence lawyers job to defend his client, not pass moral judgement on the crime or defendant. It's an adversarial system, he has to do everything possible to either get his client off or minimise the sentence, the prosecutor does the opposite. No reason to hate the guy for doing his job.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Not only that, it may conceivably be a legitimate argument. Obviously matters like premeditation and intent matter in sentencing, for they inform us about matters such as prospects of rehabilitation, likelihood of re-offence, deterrence and so on. One-size-fits-all sentencing will only ever end up being much too harsh in some cases and much too lenient in others.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:16 pm

Forget about rehab, any custodial sentence will be a life sentence.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:18 am

I think you’re probably right, though that’s likely at least in part because the judge finds that there was premeditation.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:49 am

hang the grub
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:00 am

David wrote:
I think you’re probably right, though that’s likely at least in part because the judge finds that there was premeditation.

More likely in my view that he'll die inside

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:35 am

David wrote:
Not only that, it may conceivably be a legitimate argument. Obviously matters like premeditation and intent matter in sentencing, for they inform us about matters such as prospects of rehabilitation, likelihood of re-offence, deterrence and so on. One-size-fits-all sentencing will only ever end up being much too harsh in some cases and much too lenient in others.

And yet he denied Eurydice Dixon her right to life! By what convoluted logic do we then argue that he should have the right not only to live himself, but that he might be allowed back out onto the streets?

Can you possibly rehabilitate a "sexual sadist"? And if you can is it worth it? I suspect the reason why you hold these views is because it is really a religious argument about the human person in disguise. The idea that humans are all born good and turned bad by society is just as loopy as believing that all humans are born bad at birth. It's nature and nurture for sure, but in the end it's mostly in our genes. I'm not sure a psychopath can help himself!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 pm

Life with a minimum of 35 years.

Apparently he has a "sexual sadism" disorder, and sounds like he was playing out a "snuff film" by strangling her while he raped her.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-02/eurydice-dixon-killer-jaymes-todd-sentenced/11469328

Sick phuc.

This part is a tad confusing.

Quote:
In addition to life imprisonment, Todd was sentenced to 11 years' jail for rape, seven years for attempted rape and two years for sexual assault.

Todd will serve those sentences concurrently with the life sentence.

I'm not sure how that works, I thought under Victorian law we tended to only charge and convict on the most serious offence, not throw a bunch of stocking stuffers in which serve no purpose if the sentences are served concurrently anyway.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:50 pm

Yeah, not sure exactly how that works either, stui – but as they're served concurrently, I guess it's ultimately academic?

shawthing wrote:
David wrote:

And yet he denied Eurydice Dixon her right to life! By what convoluted logic do we then argue that he should have the right not only to live himself, but that he might be allowed back out onto the streets?

Can you possibly rehabilitate a "sexual sadist"? And if you can is it worth it? I suspect the reason why you hold these views is because it is really a religious argument about the human person in disguise. The idea that humans are all born good and turned bad by society is just as loopy as believing that all humans are born bad at birth. It's nature and nurture for sure, but in the end it's mostly in our genes. I'm not sure a psychopath can help himself!

I don't believe that humans are born good and turned bad by society. I believe that humans were never bad or good to begin with (though I should note that this doesn't affect my views on criminal justice as much as you may think). Whether this guy or "sexual sadists" in general can be cured is another question, and one I can't really answer – but I do expect that the capacity to choose not to act out those desires in violent ways can be learned, even if the underlying desires can't be "cured".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14   

Jump to: