Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eurydice Dixon

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
^ Looking at the comments on his Facebook page some of which are clear, direct threats of violent retribution I couldn't help but think they'd made a huge mistake in publishing his name and photograph. There's a lot of understandable fury and sadness in the wake of Dixon's death, and with no opportunity to attack the actual perpetrator (who is behind lock and key and out of the public eye), it's not at all surprising that all of that fury is being turned directly onto the man who vandalised her memorial. A case in point: one commenter claims that "capital punishment should be brought back for scum like this" which I think says a lot about how emotional and irrational calls for capital punishment so often are.

Which Facebook page? He has 2. On his Andy Nolch Blogger page, he's posting all his weird arse theories and ignoring the insults (some very creative, "I hope you go to jail and your arse ends up looking like a wizards sleeve", although hoping someone gets repeatedly raped for defacing the memorial to a rape victim seems a tad confused).

He's not the shiniest penny in the purse, he's sucking up the attention and inflaming the situation. Some of these idiots posting threats should be aware that using social media to threaten people is actually illegal. http://www.lawstuff.org.au/vic_law/topics/bullying/cyber-bullying

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Ive seen and read comments on both. Not the shiniest penny is putting it nicely; the guys a full-on froot-loop. But this does raise the question: if he actually is suffering from psychosis (or something) and that was operative when he defaced the memorial, would all the hatred of him be misplaced and irresponsible? Surely we have better things to do with our time than throw rotten tomatoes at the village madman?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Outside the family and friends of the victim the rest of us have no right to be so upset for what is in essence a very low rung crime of defacing the grass surrounding a temporary memorial in what is otherwise a public park.

A community service order is all that is required as punishment.

Ironically the death threats coming from the keyboard warriors are a far more serious police matter.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Compare that to inside the family and friends of the victim the rest of us have no right to be so upset for what is in essence a low rung crime of defacing the grass surrounding a temporary memorial in what is a public park.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Outside the family and friends of the victim the rest of us have no right to be so upset for what is in essence a very low rung crime of defacing the grass surrounding a temporary memorial in what is otherwise a public park.

Ironically the death threats coming from the keyboard warriors are a far more serious police matter.

It's interesting, isn't it in a way, people are acting as if it's a crime against them, and perhaps it is, in a way. People were feeling pretty genuine sadness and anger, and this guy effectively took a huge shit on it. Of course, as with any desecration of a memorial or gravesite, it's also an act of disrespect against the deceased, but I think it'd be helpful for the social media warriors to recognise that they are subconsciously casting themselves as victims here. (And of course, it should be noted that not all of the violent and abusive rhetoric is coming from a place of anger many are actively enjoying this. People always love an acceptable target of hate or contempt, and are probably working through a fair few unrelated issues here.)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:39 pm

^

That would involve genuine reflection, something that rarely happens with people totally wrapped up in their own idealism (of whichever persuasion) and utterly immune to seeing things from another perspective.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:30 pm

Current Affair did the Usual Trashy Story on it Tonight
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:31 pm

^

Is that still on TV? Shocked

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Capital punishment for a nimrod who drew a large self portrait to get up the nose of feminists and utterly disrespected a memorial for a murdered woman?

Only if we get an open hunting season on Carlton supporters.

You mean there isnt? Unhappily (for a number of Carlton supporters, at least), I missed the memo.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:32 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Agreed, Swoop. I dont know what they have charged him with, but I suppose the crime is criminal damage and disturbing the peace. In neither case has his misdemeanour been large. Being a tasteless, grossly offensive idiot with a personality disorder is not an offence at law.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:34 pm

You are a tasteless grossly offensive idiot with a personality disorder is not an offence? Do you get to meet a lot of people?
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:09 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Being a tasteless, grossly offensive idiot with a personality disorder is not an offence at law.

Thank god
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Being a tasteless, grossly offensive idiot with a personality disorder is not an offence at law.

Thank god

Hey, you have some taste, you support Collingwood. Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:44 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Thank god
Very Happy
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:35 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Thank god

Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14   

Jump to: