Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our salary cap v. The Dees.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:59 pm
Post subject: Our salary cap v. The Dees.Reply with quote

Recent articles have alluded to Melbourne re-signing T McDonald, securing Lever having room to lock in Hogan and pursue Andrew Gaff. Strangely we seem to be struggling to retain Moore, DeGoey and pursue a big fish free agent (eg. T. Lynch). If thats the case we need to shed superfluous players whom are out of contract and are clogging our salary cap. Whether that means severing ways or re-contracting them on take it or leave it offers, I suggest these players are vulnerable to salary cap relief:

1. Alex Fasolo: our game style has passed him by and as a free agent at years end should be offloaded and $375,000/year saved. May have commanded a compo pick last year in the second round vicinity. Hard to see anything better than a third rounder this year.

2. D. Wells: hopefully he has (as mooted) had a trigger clause for games played in his first 2 seasons to receive a third season. Lets be honest and call this $550,000/year recruit a bust and move on. Never was there a game such as the Dees win yesterday, had he seemed so irrelevant to our dynamic midfield.

3. Tyson Goldsack: rumoured to have signed for $400,000/year for 3 years at end of 2015, there is no real need for having him go around again. Rather offer him a coaching role and still use his I.P off field vs on field.

4. Jarryd Blair: surely the cockroach gets put out to pasture. With a rumoured salary of $275,000/year wouldnt be averse to see him captain the Reserves side for the next two seasons.

5. Levi Greenwood: 4 year $1,800,000 ($450,000/year) ends this year. Been handy but Crisp has been twice the player and played twice as many games nearly. A 1 year extension on $300,000 would be more than generous.

6. Travis Varcoe: has muscles akin to Ricky Barham and Robert Elphinsone (google him). He adds indefinable strength, pace and dare but when averaging 12 possessions a game and is a fitness risk, 1 year extension on minimums would be my way to go.

7. Ben Reid: staggeringly re-signed for a 1 year extension about a month ago. Obviously too late now, but hopeful he has had a financial haircut on top of his physical haircut!

8. Kayle Kirby: 2nd year wages arent much and dont expect him to be extended next year. Sad but reality.

9. Tim Broomhead: would re-rookie him for 2019 thus saving $300,000 in approximate salary.

10. J. Smith: too slow, too vanilla. Mild saving in salary here.

11. Adam Oxley: always been a fan but seems out of favour and out of a position with the plethora of our half back flankers. Likely saving of $250,000.

Naturally much of the savings has been pre-allocated into 2019+ player payment increases etc.... however the above changes hopefully allows us to be a player in upcoming free agent or trade acquisitions.

Thoughts?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are, every player we let go has to be replaced on the list, and those replacements have to be paid too.

From what I can find, the minimum wage for a 3rd year plus player is $105k pa and $75k for a rookie, with the average player wage being around $370k.

We have to allow room to sign De Goey and Moore, while factoring in other contracts as they expire and will need to be renewed.

I'd like us to re-sign Stephenson to a longer term contract quick smart, I don't know what we're paying WHE but on current form we want to keep him too.

Every year you have to turn over a minimum of (I think) 3 players. Getting them via the draft is the cheapest way salary capo wise.

For example, if we let Faz go and draft Will Kelly as a father son to take his place on the list, we don't save $375k, we save around $300k once you factor in Kelly's wage.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:30 pm

I wouldn't actually be too fussed about this. It would hardly be sensible for the Club to announce it has plenty of money to throw at Other Team Player X, when it needs to secure other players to long-term contracts, as well. It is just possible that there is, for a change, no damaging leak.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
My thoughts are, every player we let go has to be replaced on the list, and those replacements have to be paid too.

From what I can find, the minimum wage for a 3rd year plus player is $105k pa and $75k for a rookie, with the average player wage being around $370k.

We have to allow room to sign De Goey and Moore, while factoring in other contracts as they expire and will need to be renewed.

I'd like us to re-sign Stephenson to a longer term contract quick smart, I don't know what we're paying WHE but on current form we want to keep him too.

Every year you have to turn over a minimum of (I think) 3 players. Getting them via the draft is the cheapest way salary capo wise.

For example, if we let Faz go and draft Will Kelly as a father son to take his place on the list, we don't save $375k, we save around $300k once you factor in Kelly's wage.

Good points. The spirit of the article was to highlight whom might provide salary cap relief.

melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 pm

I'm consistently offended by the treatment of Blair on this forum. Its pathetic.

Show some respect. He is a premiership player whom gives his all when he plays.

If you think he isn't good enough, fine. But do it with respect. And show that you have some element of class.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Actually Blair is a good footballer who has often carried the can for being the small forward in a malfunctioning forward line. Put him in todays side and hed probably be seen as more than serviceable. The vitriol directed his way is very unbecoming.
RICHO1991 Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Hopefully there is a trigger cause for Wells
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 pm
Post subject: Re: Our salary cap v. The Dees.Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:

4. Jarryd Blair: surely the cockroach gets put out to pasture.

Thoughts?

Sure apart from mixing your metaphors (cockroach and pasture) why did you call / label Blair a cockroach in the first place?

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 am

A cockroach is one of the rare creatures that can survive nuclear fallout. Blair has survived the axe twice in the last two October list lodgements being the last player re-contracted. A bit of levity on this actual fact shouldnt be taken to personally. Hope they replace Jack Hellier in 2019 with Blair as captain.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 am

In the entire history of our Club, just 82 players have played more games for Collingwood than Jarryd Blair. So, he has played more games for us than, eg, Bob Rose, Rene Kink, Jack Hamilton, Mick McGuane, Ricky Barham, Ray Shaw, James Clement, Tony Francis, Ben Reid and Alex Fasolo etc etc etc. He has had an exemplary career in which he applied himself with remarkable dedication (still does, week in, week out in the VFL) and deserves only accolades and applause, whatever the future holds.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 am

inxs88 wrote:
A cockroach is one of the rare creatures that can survive nuclear fallout. Blair has survived the axe twice in the last two October list lodgements being the last player re-contracted. A bit of levity on this actual fact shouldnt be taken to personally. Hope they replace Jack Hellier in 2019 with Blair as captain.

Enough rope.

If it was an attempt at a joke it didn't work. It's simply disrespectful and uncalled for (as I think you probably know). It's OK to say you missed the mark here.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:52 am

Mugwump wrote:
Actually Blair is a good footballer who has often carried the can for being the small forward in a malfunctioning forward line. Put him in todays side and hed probably be seen as more than serviceable. The vitriol directed his way is very unbecoming.

In fact he has played well this year. It was only better players in De Goey, Stephenson, WHE and Josh Thomas keeping him out of the side. Still young enough to contribute to the team and could well be offered another contract next year.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Don't get me wrong, I dont think Fas is a super star or anything but to say our game style has passed him by is harsh. He had to put up with some pretty terrible delivery in recent years.
Either way he is gone. Might get a 3rd round pick for him at a stretch

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:23 pm

I also think it's a harsh call to say our game style has bypassed Fas, if he can kick goals with the shitty forward delivery we had, he'd get them with our improved delivery.

Whether he goes or stays will be up to what offers he gets from us and other clubs. As an unrestricted free agent, we don't even get the option of matching an offer, if a club offers him something and he likes it, he goes and we get whatever compensation pick the AFL decides to give us.

jatsad 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:55 pm
Post subject: Re: Our salary cap v. The Dees.Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Recent articles have alluded to Melbourne re-signing T McDonald, securing Lever having room to lock in Hogan and pursue Andrew Gaff. Strangely we seem to be struggling to retain Moore, DeGoey and pursue a big fish free agent (eg. T. Lynch). If thats the case we need to shed superfluous players whom are out of contract and are clogging our salary cap. Whether that means severing ways or re-contracting them on take it or leave it offers, I suggest these players are vulnerable to salary cap relief:

1. Alex Fasolo: our game style has passed him by and as a free agent at years end should be offloaded and $375,000/year saved. May have commanded a compo pick last year in the second round vicinity. Hard to see anything better than a third rounder this year.

2. D. Wells: hopefully he has (as mooted) had a trigger clause for games played in his first 2 seasons to receive a third season. Lets be honest and call this $550,000/year recruit a bust and move on. Never was there a game such as the Dees win yesterday, had he seemed so irrelevant to our dynamic midfield.

3. Tyson Goldsack: rumoured to have signed for $400,000/year for 3 years at end of 2015, there is no real need for having him go around again. Rather offer him a coaching role and still use his I.P off field vs on field.

4. Jarryd Blair: surely the cockroach gets put out to pasture. With a rumoured salary of $275,000/year wouldnt be averse to see him captain the Reserves side for the next two seasons.

5. Levi Greenwood: 4 year $1,800,000 ($450,000/year) ends this year. Been handy but Crisp has been twice the player and played twice as many games nearly. A 1 year extension on $300,000 would be more than generous.

6. Travis Varcoe: has muscles akin to Ricky Barham and Robert Elphinsone (google him). He adds indefinable strength, pace and dare but when averaging 12 possessions a game and is a fitness risk, 1 year extension on minimums would be my way to go.

7. Ben Reid: staggeringly re-signed for a 1 year extension about a month ago. Obviously too late now, but hopeful he has had a financial haircut on top of his physical haircut!

8. Kayle Kirby: 2nd year wages arent much and dont expect him to be extended next year. Sad but reality.

9. Tim Broomhead: would re-rookie him for 2019 thus saving $300,000 in approximate salary.

10. J. Smith: too slow, too vanilla. Mild saving in salary here.

11. Adam Oxley: always been a fan but seems out of favour and out of a position with the plethora of our half back flankers. Likely saving of $250,000.

Naturally much of the savings has been pre-allocated into 2019+ player payment increases etc.... however the above changes hopefully allows us to be a player in upcoming free agent or trade acquisitions.

Thoughts?

I don't believe it. You have read my mind entirely. I have been telling my mates for 2 years about these players and now someone else agrees with the exact same list.

The only one I might disagree on is Kirby. Should be given one more year to see how he goes.

Time to be ruthless. These players are passed their use-by-date.

You even agree with me that Blair should be captain of the VFL. Too wierd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: