Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies wallop Dees - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanstro 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the replay, noticed a few more things:
- great to see us come out and comprehensively win a first quarter for once, the last handful of games it took quite a while to settle into the game
- in some ways Melbourne are in a similar spot to us - the first quarter for them felt like a talented but inexperienced team getting stagefright in a big game, and we took full advantage (except for the 3 posters and Sidey's dribble)
- apart from the free against Adams in the third, the umps did pretty well by us, especially in the first
- we missed quite a few tackles throughout the game, hope that was just an aberration
- great to see JDG perform in a big game instead of just bullying the weak teams
- some of our young players had nervous moments, was a great learning opportunity for them, and thankfully didn't result in us dropping the 4 points. Eg Stevo's handball fail in the last quarter, or his poor shot at goal from the boundary in the first, or Mihocek getting caught in the F50 in the second when he took too long. Good to get those rookie errors out of the way yesterday rather than in September
- Dunn was phenomenal in the first, I just didn't notice it as much watching it yesterday because the midfielders and Cox were flashier. Adams also excellent all game
- Tactically, it was not the usual type of game that we play. I didn't see much of our normal press in action - guess Melbourne just moved the ball too quickly for that to be in place consistently. Others have commented that it looked a lot like our play from 2009-13, and I'd add that it just looked like a finals type game where we put immense pressure on the ball carrier and kept up that intensity the whole game. So a concern in the sense that maybe our normal gamestyle isn't actually going to work in September, but also a plus in that we have a second finals-like gameplan and it held up pretty well.
- The demons only really had a proper go in the second quarter. We were just harder at the ball and worked harder to spread than them all game, and they just gave up by the middle of the third. Several moments in the second and third where we had them outnumbered 4 or 5 to 1, shows a lack of workrate by them. Fantastic win, but on reflection I think the game says just as much about Melbourne (that they're just a decent but not good/great team) as it does about us (we can beat a similar team when we're on, but are we going to be on in September?)
- WHE is the best forward on our list. Bit of a captain obvious statement given he's leading our goalkicking, but I think out of everyone we've got (including Elliott and Moore and even if we nab Lynch), he's the most likely to end up being a 60 goal All Australian forward. Apart from brute strength, he's got everything you want in a forward - speed, height, endurance, consistency, durability, accuracy, natural footballing instincts. I said a couple of weeks ago that he could step up and do more, and he's certainly done that. He's got all the tools required to be a 3 goals-a-game player who is also a link man (ie an absolute star), let's hope he goes on with it.
- geez the game is a lot easier when you win centre clearances eh?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:33 pm

Mugwump wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
JDG interviewed by Mark Stevens: says he loves the club and is close to signing, they're just working out the details.

Couldn't really get more clear a statement that he's staying.

Today’s game will help greatly in keeping him. Who’d really want to leave a team that could be anything right now, for .... St Kilda ?

Did you see his reaction with his team mates when the final siren went? My thought when I saw that was that he has no intentions of leaving.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:43 pm

I took the $21 for the 40-49 margin. Apologies for anyone that saw me barracking for Melbourne for several minutes towards the end...I'll deny it anyway...
I also had Sidey & Shaz for B.O.G. I had initially put in Cox but he was at $35 and Shaz (the Prince) at $51.
Anyway, how sweet it was.

Tay Adams, hats off to you son, you really stood up over the past few weeks when there were plenty raising questions on your contribution and where you sat in the side.

I flew down from Brisbane for the match. I might as well as had a VC pinned to my chest as that's what I felt like wearing my jumper through Melbourne airport last night to board my 8.20 flight.

The stakes we high for both sides. Well done Bucks, the coaching panel & congrat's to the players. That was a great team win.

Go Pies.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:47 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
I took the $21 for the 40-49 margin. Apologies for anyone that saw me barracking for Melbourne for several minutes towards the end...I'll deny it anyway...
I flew down from Brisbane for the match. I might as well as had a VC pinned to my chest as that's what I felt like wearing my jumper through Melbourne airport last night to board my 8.20 flight.

The stakes we high for both sides. Well done Bucks, the coaching panel & congrat's to the players. That was a great team win.

Go Pies.

Well punted bloke; hope that little earner subsidised the trip down.

And doesn't look like we're getting Rostoff now either...

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:48 pm

lanstro wrote:

- WHE is the best forward on our list. Bit of a captain obvious statement given he's leading our goalkicking, but I think out of everyone we've got (including Elliott and Moore and even if we nab Lynch), he's the most likely to end up being a 60 goal All Australian forward. Apart from brute strength, he's got everything you want in a forward - speed, height, endurance, consistency, durability, accuracy, natural footballing instincts. I said a couple of weeks ago that he could step up and do more, and he's certainly done that. He's got all the tools required to be a 3 goals-a-game player who is also a link man (ie an absolute star), let's hope he goes on with it.
- geez the game is a lot easier when you win centre clearances eh?

I like WHE, but as far as height goes, he's listed at 186cm. So he's shorter than Phillips, Stephenson and Crocker for example.

He definitely looks taller and can play tall, he has that lovely ability to jump at take the ball with his arms fully outstretched.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Just watched third quarter and what where those dumb umpires thinking

Robbery one!! Tay on the ground taps on then gets pinged ❓

Robbery two!! Cox marks ball in the field of play and has the cherry before
momentum carries him over

Red hot two goaling opportunities stolen

Then if that’s not bad enuf Shaz in an contest gets pulled out of contest and frickin Dee gets a free

Shoulda kicked 23 against those hoity toity blighters —-Jolley bad show what!

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:09 pm

so glad to see us win the clearances with fluid motion with set up perfection.
we have speed everywhere on the park and it makes for space going forward.
at one point we broke away from another clearance with a some brilliant organised handballs to only make the wrong decision and than consequently let them regain the pill from the turn over however our setting up allows us to turn attack into defence then back to attack again very quickly.
we are a very good footy team atm and bucks knows it and was pumped yesterday before the game. it must be a awesome feeling knowing how well you've prepared and then being completely right with all the numbers and emotions during and after the game.
I really loved watching Crisps game. he is hard working, hard nosed, and deals with tremendous pressure as Toovey used to do and then gives us so much forward push.
Adams, brilliant. also nice check side.
Dunn, excellent recruit.
degoey to daicos back to degoey to Treloar long kick to WHE and goal.
thats what I like. it was like that all day long!

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:13 pm

I’d like to pass comment on the guys who are doing a job and whilst not maybe thought of in same sense as a Treloar or a Pendlebury

New guy Mihocek and Mayne—-the desperate spoil on goal line then his link up to Sidey who reeled it of to Mihocek who with pinpoint pass forward for a goal without a Dee having any impact

The Dunne,s Mihocek,Mayne and i,ll throw in Crispy are doing what has to get done

The kids like Daicos and Stevo have more that “A graders “ to look up to

There’s a real belief each Pie has for each other

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 pm

DP

Last edited by Raw Hammer on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 pm

He’s done it before, and did it again twice yesterday. JDG’s ability or nous to handball off when in mid air rather than landing and being tackled. Screams of footy smarts. Dished off to Stevo while in mid air deep in the forward pocket for Stevo’s banana in the first, then did the same to Treloar after Daicos floated a handball to him in full motion that led to WHE’s goal in the second when the Dees were coming. Can’t teach that. Pure football brain. Must sign him up now.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Moore CHB
Elliott HFF
Lynch CHF

Salivating...

Ditto

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Jezza wrote:
Exam went well.

Absolutely stoked by the score line Smile

A double celebration

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Oh man what a game. That was a solid 4 quarter effort and we countered everything they threw at us all day. I loved how we took the game on and never looked like stopping, even when it would've been easy to shut up shop.

Goals are coming from here there and everywhere. As soon as one player is tagged, another steps up. We've turned the corner and showed the football world we mean business.

We applied pressure at every contest and made those toffy nose twats earn every possession and goal. We also exposed them for the pathetic downhill skiers they are. Beating up on substandard opposition is one thing but if you can't show up at the G in front of 80 odd thousand people and put in some effort then get stuffed and p!$$ off!. We sent them back to hell where they belong.

They don't deserve to be anywhere near the top 8 and sure as hell don't deserve anymore handouts from us. Hopefully that's the last charity game we give to that charity case of a club. Time to put your foot down ed and say enough is enough. Next year it will be our home game and they can all sod off to the snow in their range rovers. By all means use the occasion to support awareness and raise funds for mnd, but enough of the spoon feeding. If those pricks can afford lever and all their other first rounders while still claiming to have enough room for gaff and whoever else then they can stand on their own two feet.

Credit to all the players and coaching staff for that performance. Time to enjoy the bye, reload and and hit the second half of the season with gusto. Probably our best game for the season. That was finals pressure and finals standard. Make no mistake people. We have arrived.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:34 pm

lanstro wrote:

- WHE is the best forward on our list... he's the most likely to end up being a 60 goal All Australian forward. Apart from brute strength, he's got everything you want in a forward - speed, height, endurance, consistency, durability, accuracy, natural footballing instincts.

The guy is a natural footballer and his marking ability is second to none. I don't think I've seen a cleaner 'one-grab' player in years!

I can't wait to see WHE and Mayne at Metricon in a few weeks to see how these guys get so much space. The TV broadcast doesn't do any justice to these guy's work rate.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:49 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Just watched third quarter and what where those dumb umpires thinking

Robbery one!! Tay on the ground taps on then gets pinged ❓

Robbery two!! Cox marks ball in the field of play and has the cherry before
momentum carries him over

Red hot two goaling opportunities stolen

Then if that’s not bad enuf Shaz in an contest gets pulled out of contest and frickin Dee gets a free

Shoulda kicked 23 against those hoity toity blighters —-Jolley bad show what!

I was pretty outraged at the time but in the cold light of day I can see why the umpires paid the kick against Adams. The rule is a stupid one, but it was put in place for good reason. I think the commentators had the right point: you should be allowed to slide/dive if you are first to the ball, but not if the opposition player has the ball in his possession or it’s already at his feet. And contact should actually be made below the knee, which was not the case yesterday.

But that’s not how the rule works today. Langdon was pinged for something similar a few weeks back, costing a goal. As long as the stupid rule exists, we need to avoid doing it.

The Cox mark was a stinking decision by a boundary umpire who probably wanted some self-importance. Cox controlled it before it crossed the line. Mark every time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12   

Jump to: