Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Magpies v. Demons - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought he was a liability yesterday—May have been a blip in his form
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:00 am

Whilst on VFL form of the tall timber McLarty put in a good game

Seir was on song as was Lynch

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:49 am

K wrote:
Murray's trouble with decision making and the resultant turnovers were a startling feature of the VFL game yesterday. [I say "trouble with decision making", where others would say "poor decision making", because it really seems to me that such a style of play requires really fast decision making, which is why it's hard, and he's just not able to decide fast enough.]

I'd say he's down on confidence after being dropped. Problem is players get ahead of themselves when it comes too easily. Family and supporters pump them up too much and then they don't know why they got dropped. The only way back is listen to what the coaches say and work hard to regain his spot. Adams, Aish, Mayne and Scharenberg have all been in the same situation Murray is in now. We need the run and carry that Murray offers to the team but it needs to come with conditions that will help the team prosper.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Murray made mistakes but also had some positive impact. He's looked better than that at AFL level, so this can be put down to a bad game

More concerning was the form of Wills and Sier. Both were well beaten against AFL standard players in Tyson and Bug - both under 20 disposals. Tyson completely dominated Wills, while Sier was better early but faded badly and did very little in the second half. Not sure if this is a fitness issue, but fitness is a concern.

McClarty was our brightest point for the day. Presented and competed well.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:11 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Murray made mistakes but also had some positive impact. He's looked better than that at AFL level, so this can be put down to a bad game

More concerning was the form of Wills and Sier. Both were well beaten against AFL standard players in Tyson and Bug - both under 20 disposals. Tyson completely dominated Wills, while Sier was better early but faded badly and did very little in the second half. Not sure if this is a fitness issue, but fitness is a concern.

McClarty was our brightest point for the day. Presented and competed well.

If truth be known, Blair was easily our best player.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Probably, but I was focusing on the players we're still learning about. We know Blair is a solid AFL player and could come in and play a role at any point.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:58 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Probably, but I was focusing on the players we're still learning about. We know Blair is a solid AFL player and could come in and play a role at any point.

Tru dat. Cool
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:18 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Murray ...'s looked better than that at AFL level, so this can be put down to a bad game

More concerning was the form of Wills and Sier. ... - both under 20 disposals.... Sier was better early but faded badly and did very little in the second half. Not sure if this is a fitness issue, but fitness is a concern.

Murray's disposal issues are not a one-off. Sier is just back from the adductor injury. Must have been fairly minor, or he'd have been sidelined much longer... so I'm just glad he's out there playing.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:34 pm

K wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Murray ...'s looked better than that at AFL level, so this can be put down to a bad game

More concerning was the form of Wills and Sier. ... - both under 20 disposals.... Sier was better early but faded badly and did very little in the second half. Not sure if this is a fitness issue, but fitness is a concern.

Murray's disposal issues are not a one-off. Sier is just back from the adductor injury. Must have been fairly minor, or he'd have been sidelined much longer... so I'm just glad he's out there playing.

He had disposal issue problems his last two AFL games, got dropped, then two ordinary games in the VFL disposal wise. Has been named as an emergency in both senior games in the last two games, so you know he's close to selection in the senior side again. Appleby was dropped for the Melbourne game but has been held over as the emergency for this game. So Appleby is ahead of Murray in the selection process as both play a similar position. The back six look settled to me. If there's one injury again Appleby will come back in instead of Murray. Murray is two injuries away from playing again in the senior side which makes it a difficult job to regain his spot unless he shows a lot in the VFL which he hasn't been doing.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:18 pm

^^I don't think it's as simple as that. Appleby is ahead as a defender or stopper, but if we are looking to add run and rebound, Murray's well ahead of him.

Buckley has said the main reason Murray was dropped was contesting. He's being given a chance to work on that. I don't think there was much issue with his disposal in the seniors, his mistakes were quite few overall and you accept those for an adventurous player. My issue with his form is that he wasn't taking the game on enough in his last couple.

Murray played 9 straight games (including when the rest of our back 6 was available) so I don't think that we see any major issues with his game. His form dropped off a little, which happens for a first year player and he's been asked to put some work in. I don't think it we'll be long before we see him in the seniors again.

Appleby got 3-4 games. He did a decent job but nothing outstanding. At the moment he's a stop-gap player when we have injuries. Murray is a different type who brings something we otherwise don't have. When our backline is fully fit I can't see Appleby playing this year, whereas Murray could and has.

Edit: ok, Greenwood has been added since Murray was playing. Now that he's playing in defence, maybe he has taken Murray's spot. Again though, very different type and one who could move to the midfield.

Last edited by AN_Inkling on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:18 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
K wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

He had disposal issue problems his last two AFL games, got dropped, then two ordinary games in the VFL disposal wise. Has been named as an emergency in both senior games in the last two games, so you know he's close to selection in the senior side again. Appleby was dropped for the Melbourne game but has been held over as the emergency for this game. So Appleby is ahead of Murray in the selection process as both play a similar position. The back six look settled to me. If there's one injury again Appleby will come back in instead of Murray. Murray is two injuries away from playing again in the senior side which makes it a difficult job to regain his spot unless he shows a lot in the VFL which he hasn't been doing.

That's probably about right, but if I was Greenwood I wouldn't want to put in a couple of poor games in a row. He's probably the most vulnerable, but when he's 'on' he's a great hard nut to have down there.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:33 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
K wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

That's probably about right, but if I was Greenwood I wouldn't want to put in a couple of poor games in a row. He's probably the most vulnerable, but when he's 'on' he's a great hard nut to have down there.

I'd be putting Greenwood on Oliver or Jones tomorrow.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:05 pm

This time tomorrrow, we'll know where we are at.

Can't help but be very very nervous about the game.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:14 pm

My last word on this Deeeees love fest game, is that for some incomprehensible reason, I think we may actually win. ! Make no mistake, id be very confident if we had our real forward line in, of Moore,Fas, and Elliott, but this makeshift one seems to be doing OK, kicking biggish scores, and newcomer Miochek, seems a real find. The Dees have little injuries, nothing like ours, so its not really a real test of two sides with their best team, not for us, but is it ever for us ?? Melb are hot faves, with the fawning Media, and I just hope the bloody Umpires can butt out and umpire FAIRLY, but I doubt it, they seem to get caught up in the Deeees hype to, which is pretty rank really.

Having said that, Im tipping an upset, Its Woods by 16 points, with De Goey and Cox playing blinders. ! GP Pies !!!!!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Hell, this season is crazy. Dockers just defeated Adelaide Crows by 3 points. Either this means that our victory against Adelaide was less meaningful than we thought, OR...our easy victory against Fremantle was more meaningful than we thought, OR..neither of these options!!
This is a season where the usual empirical based logic doesn't apply.
As for tomorrow... If our midfield (the entire 11 of them: Tom Phillips, Jack Crisp, WHE, Sidey, Pendles, JDG, Levi Greenwood, JT, Adam Treloar and of course Brodie Grundy) come to play at their best level, we will win. Their powerful forward line won't be supplied.
What has driven our improvement this year is the massive upsurge of our midfield, which has become a deadly attacking machine as well as a well knit unit of defensive pressure. There is so much flexibility available as well. So, if Oliver needs to be quelled, put Greenwood on him.
I like our chances, given current form and the evident self-confidence with which we are playing. Not underestimating Melbourne though, who are likewise confident. It will be a titanic struggle.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14   

Jump to: