Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies should target these players!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:07 am
Post subject: Pies should target these players!Reply with quote

Well with a sample size of virtually half a season to assess the lists bona fides, the successes and gaping holes are pretty plain to see. Do we target the Gold Coast’s Tom Lynch? Go to the Draft? Or make cap space to target an ensemble of players.

I tend to think Gold Coast’s Tom Lynch is too expensive, shall disrupt the list management TPP and there are better ways to gain bang for our buck. So let’s look at our current draft picks if things don’t change ladder wise.

Draft Picks:

Picks: 11, no second, 47, 52 (Sydney’s from Murray deal), 65, 83

With rumours of us taking Isaac Quaynor (zone) and W.Kelly (father/son), guess we are hoping that this can be done without using our first round pick.

Primary Players to target:

1. Andrew Gaff: Free Agent

A free agent so could be secured for free with a price of $750,000-$800,000 per year. Some may say midfield overkill but could you imagine Tom Phillips on one wing and Gaff on the other.

2. Tom “Adelaide” Lynch: Out of contract

Crows, as always value their players at contract time like “plebs”. Probably the best forward connector in the game. Runs, kick goals and has great endurance. Seems keen to move back. Would need to be traded for though.

3. Jake Lloyd: Out if contract

Despite Sam Murray’s handy inclusion,he is not as safe and secure a player as this running, possession junkie and former Victorian. Fills a gap that is glaringly unfulfilled.

Variables:

If Darcy Moore rumours are true and somehow he switches to the Swans (not sure how they can do this given the Nick Blakey nomination), we would need to crunch them hard. Pick 16 (their current first Rd pick) and Jake Lloyd wouldn’t be far off market value. Some would argue for more but this isn’t the Dayne Beams deal whereby he was under contract.

Summary:

Our KPP forwards are incredibly weak. With Mason and Reid kicking only 13 goals between them this year, action needs to be taken. Hopefully Moore does stay but as I’ve said previously, I can’t see Darcy ever being a 50+ year goal kicker year in year out. Extending Reid a year already seems ludicrous. What club out there would seriously consider an aging Ben Reid with his body history.

Players under threat:

* Alex Fasolo (please go)
* Tyson Goldsack (retire)
* Jarryd Blair (surely no more)
* Levi Greenwood (out of contract)
* Tim Broomhead (allergic to footy)
* Kyle Kirby (maybe our own Relton Roberts)
* J. Smith (too slow)
* Adam Oxley (hope he can reinvent himself)

Interesting times ahead!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

For mine we need to consider our needs and how best to address these. We did this last year when we added speed in Stephenson and Murray, so what do we need going forward?

Young KP players. I'm assuming Darcy will stay. Cox is doing his job and McClarty shows promise, but Reid is close to the end and Dunn isn't getting younger.

We have Kelly as potential father son, good size KPP, and Quaynor as a small defender, so depending on other bids, there's 2 roles filled.

There's some good talls in this years draft, we should be looking to use our first pick on one of them. There's the King brothers who both should go early, there's Jack Lukosius from WA who's an agile 194cm lead up forward, and Bailey Williams from Dandenong who's a 198cm ruck/forward.

I'm sure others will pop their heads up in the second half of the season, but that's where we should be spending our picks. You don't get quality tall forwards through late picks or rookie spots, just project role players. good tall players (apart from some rucks who develop slower usually) come from high picks or father sons.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:39 am

stui magpie wrote:
For mine we need to consider our needs and how best to address these. We did this last year when we added speed in Stephenson and Murray, so what do we need going forward?

Young KP players. I'm assuming Darcy will stay. Cox is doing his job and McClarty shows promise, but Reid is close to the end and Dunn isn't getting younger.

We have Kelly as potential father son, good size KPP, and Quaynor as a small defender, so depending on other bids, there's 2 roles filled.

There's some good talls in this years draft, we should be looking to use our first pick on one of them. There's the King brothers who both should go early, there's Jack Lukosius from WA who's an agile 194cm lead up forward, and Bailey Williams from Dandenong who's a 198cm ruck/forward.

I'm sure others will pop their heads up in the second half of the season, but that's where we should be spending our picks. You don't get quality tall forwards through late picks or rookie spots, just project role players. good tall players (apart from some rucks who develop slower usually) come from high picks or father sons.

Good points. Using all the tools available such as free agency and sharp trading combined with smart drafting is the key.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:17 pm

If we got Jake Lloyd, I would die. Not the one from Episode One....

But the one playing for the Swans. He's 24 and a gun. Is only 180cm, so not a KPP. But he is a great player.

If we got he and an earlier pick for Moore, you'd have to do it. Sydney wont.

I'd bring back Greenwood on a far cheaper contract for one or 2 years.

It'll be interesting to see what compo pick we'd receive for Fasolo. (I think he's gone).

It's a good year to have draft picks, so I would be trying to keep (or get) as many as possible.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Also, what I like about the Crows Lynch, is that he has a massive heart and he shows that when he plays. He is 27, and like inxs said, would need to be traded for. Dont think they'd be too interested in any of our S.A. born players other than Grundy.

The Suns Lynch says he wants success and not money. So we'll see what he really wants when the contracts start coming in.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Our problem is we don't have much salary space, as a host of our younger players, are now due for serious pay rises. Also we are paying a shit load for Mayne and Wells.

Unfortunately, none of the players we are likely to delist/trade at the end of this year would be on big dosh, so it isn't likely to assist our salary cap constraint much.

As much as I'd love to snare a player like Tom Lynch, if Cox continues to improve, and Moore gets over his injuries and begins to find some form, then our medium/long term problems up front could be solved any way.

To be honest, I'm more interested in locking in De Goey and Moore than buying in high priced recruits.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:01 pm

The other problem we have is that we currently have no second round.
There is no chance of us keeping our first round ( I guarantee the the big three talls will be gone by then anyway ) AND also securing Quaynor and Kelly without us trading into the first or second rounds.
We have two third rounders but with both Quaynor and Kelly likely to go ( early ) in the second round, we need to find a way to trade into the draft.
That in itself could help ease the salary cap pressures but it also means losing a decent player along the way.
I think we should focus on free agent where possible which could help to mitigate the fallout from trading out a player in order to get back in the draft.
Either that or giving up on using our first rounder and trading it in for a couple second round picks to secure Quaynor and Kelly at discounted draft points.
As always, time will tell.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:32 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
There is no chance of us keeping our first round ( I guarantee the the big three talls will be gone by then anyway ) AND also securing Quaynor and Kelly without us trading into the first or second rounds.
We have two third rounders but with both Quaynor and Kelly likely to go ( early ) in the second round, we need to find a way to trade into the draft.
That in itself could help ease the salary cap pressures but it also means losing a decent player along the way.
I think we should focus on free agent where possible which could help to mitigate the fallout from trading out a player in order to get back in the draft.
Either that or giving up on using our first rounder and trading it in for a couple second round picks to secure Quaynor and Kelly at discounted draft points.

While I can see us getting to the finals this year I wouldn't be surprised to see us finishing in 8th spot. This gives us pick 11 prior to bids

Will Kelly sounds like he might be a bit of a bargain in the third round but nowhere near the first. Quaynor looks like a future AFL prospect but you would think won't attract a bid in the top 10 or 12 when there's a superdraft on.

Our first round pick should be live for anyone still available that we want to draft. King will surely slip after pinging his knee, just like Lever did. That Lever may have done his again will have recruiters wary about taking that risk in the top 10 or so when there is so much talent around. There is a pretty good chance that we will have the choice of picking up King.

If we don't trade back into the 2nd round, then fine, take a debt into next year. If Quaynor is bid early in the 20s as expected, and Kelly maybe in the 40s then we are talking about a very small debt. If we do well in 2019, then it might cost us a spot or two in the draft, tops. If we do badly, then it might cost us nothing.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:42 am

Geek wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

While I can see us getting to the finals this year I wouldn't be surprised to see us finishing in 8th spot. This gives us pick 11 prior to bids

Will Kelly sounds like he might be a bit of a bargain in the third round but nowhere near the first. Quaynor looks like a future AFL prospect but you would think won't attract a bid in the top 10 or 12 when there's a superdraft
Our first round pick should be live for anyone still available that we want to draft. King will surely slip after pinging his knee, just like Lever did. That Lever may have done his again will have recruiters wary about taking that risk in the top 10 or so when there is so much talent around. There is a pretty good chance that we will have the choice of picking up King.

If we don't trade back into the 2nd round, then fine, take a debt into next year. If Quaynor is bid early in the 20s as expected, and Kelly maybe in the 40s then we are talking about a very small debt. If we do well in 2019, then it might cost us a spot or two in the draft, tops. If we do badly, then it might cost us nothing.

Seems like we’re allergic to keeping our second round draft pick with 2014 (Brayden Maynard) the last time we used it vs trading it. Maybe we get something in this vicinity for Fasolo as his time is up.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:45 am

I couldn't imagine Fasolo's worth being much.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:48 am

That's good information.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:46 am

^ He probably doesn't need to be.

I looked a bit closer at Pies2016's argument as well as highlights of Will Kelly's. If they're both bid on early in the 2nd (say 21 and 22) then we would have to trade or go into a fair bit of deficit.

Now I have no idea where either of them will get bid but suffice to say that Kelly moves bloody well for a 194+ player and his kicking is meant to be good. His hands maybe not so much but as a defender, he doesn't need to be marking them

I think now that we might need to trade into this draft. Early 3rd round ought to do it and maybe we'd have a hundred or so points to make up next year. Fas, if he can get back on the park and show he still has it, could probably command that sort of trade
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:19 am

^

Faz is a free agent, we won't be trading him. If he goes, we get a compensation pick calculated by the AFL.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:32 am

Geek wrote:

I looked a bit closer at Pies2016's argument as well as highlights of Will Kelly's. If they're both bid on early in the 2nd (say 21 and 22) then we would have to trade or go into a fair bit of deficit.

Now I have no idea where either of them will get bid but suffice to say that Kelly moves bloody well for a 194+ player and his kicking is meant to be good. His hands maybe not so much but as a defender, he doesn't need to be marking them

I think now that we might need to trade into this draft. Early 3rd round ought to do it and maybe we'd have a hundred or so points to make up next year. Fas, if he can get back on the park and show he still has it, could probably command that sort of trade

Cheers a Geek, I actually like your idea of trading out of the 2019 draft and reinforcing our points for 2018. That is a part solution.
I have had a long time association with Sandy Dragons and the TAC south of the Yarra and I probably follow the potential TAC draftees closer than most.
Kelly’s improvement has been significant this year and what you don’t see on the clips is that he is an endurance athlete. That is one of the main prerequisites for the modern KPP and I would be shocked if he is still there at the start of the third round.
The King twins are the best 17 year old talls I have seen at TAC level.
Max, who did his knee, is generally thought of as the more talented of the two, is rehabbing well. Again, only my opinion but I would be surprised if he was still there after pick 10, damaged ACL or not.

Anyway, plenty can happen in a draft pecking order between now and on the day but what we both agree on, is that the club has a lot of manipulating to do if they are to pick up Quaynor and Kelly AND keep their first rounder.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:47 am

Pies2016 wrote:
Geek wrote:

Cheers a Geek, I actually like your idea of trading out of the 2019 draft and reinforcing our points for 2018. That is a part solution.
I have had a long time association with Sandy Dragons and the TAC south of the Yarra and I probably follow the potential TAC draftees closer than most.
Kelly’s improvement has been significant this year and what you don’t see on the clips is that he is an endurance athlete. That is one of the main prerequisites for the modern KPP and I would be shocked if he is still there at the start of the third round.
The King twins are the best 17 year old talls I have seen at TAC level.
Max, who did his knee, is generally thought of as the more talented of the two, is rehabbing well. Again, only my opinion but I would be surprised if he was still there after pick 10, damaged ACL or not.

Anyway, plenty can happen in a draft pecking order between now and on the day but what we both agree on, is that the club has a lot of manipulating to do if they are to pick up Quaynor and Kelly AND keep their first rounder.

Put of Hine’s deal with Murray was to secure an extra 3rd Rd pick to assist with overall points requirement. I guess we need to hide Quaynor and Kelly for the rest of the TAC year 😁

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: