Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tommy Robinson arrested and jailed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a fair point – it probably is worthy of its own thread (though honestly we have so much Islamophobic / anti-migrant stuff on this forum already that I’m loath to contribute further to it).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Plenty of substantial contributions from other quarters, though - eg, Jmmy Saville, Rolf Harris and their many, many friends.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 pm

David wrote:
^ I think what bothers me (apart from the awful facts of the crimes themselves) is that there is a legitimate pattern we're seeing (as in Cologne and a few other cases in Europe) of 'liberal' authorities trying to cover up or downplay crimes or gang activity committed by people from minority cultural or ethnic backgrounds. That they are seeking to reduce the risk of civil unrest and racist backlash is quite understandable; but they have to understand that suppressing information is not an effective response, and only emboldens the far right. Think about it this way: when the only people who are telling you the truth on certain matters (albeit in highly selective ways and for bigoted purposes) are people like Tommy Robinson and outlets like Breitbart, then those people have scored a massive propaganda goal.

For people like me who oppose racism and xenophobia and support mass migration, cultural tolerance and religious freedom, the answer to the conundrum is obvious: don't suppress stuff. Make statistics available. If there's a problem that is currently outsized in a certain community, like Sudanese gang activity, acknowledge it, deal with it and help the general public understand why. Politically correct euphemisms or suppression of facts not only potentially make the problem much bigger (as they seem to have in Rotherham), but they play into the narratives and tactics of those who want to divide our society and intimidate minorities.

Agreed. However, people rarely make decisions based on the facts, but on what they feel and the facts then get either distorted, ignored or selected to support their decision.

Trying to cover up or otherwise deny actions by a minority in order to deny ammunition to antagonists is wrong on several levels not the least of which is it denies justice to the victims.

I'd far rather see some honesty and rationality but it seems too few people these days are equipped to function like that.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Plenty of substantial contributions from other quarters, though - eg, Jmmy Saville, Rolf Harris and their many, many friends.

Absolutely, and that’s what the Breitbart crowd deliberately overlook. And there are definitely realms in which focusing on the crimes of a certain group of people (such as Trump’s focus on crimes committed by undocumented migrants) is nothing more than shameless, cynical special pleading. Yet by the same token, this case (as with, I suspect, the recent spate of Sudanese home invasions) does seem to be an example of a series of crimes that has contextually specific characteristics, in which the ethnocultural identity of the offenders might not be said to be incidental (and as above, it’s also true that those ‘types’ of crimes can eat up unwarranted public attention). I don’t know precisely how authorities should deal with these dynamics, but I suspect euphemistic language or suppression of facts is the second-worst possible response (the worst, obviously, being deliberate stoking of prejudice). One can be cautious and responsible without hiding stuff from the general public.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Quote:
Politically correct euphemisms or suppression of facts not only potentially make the problem much bigger (as they seem to have in Rotherham), but they play into the narratives and tactics of those who want to divide our society and intimidate minorities.

Interesting, here's an anti-Robinson piece that argues exactly the same thing:
https://unherd.com/2018/06/dont-hear-gang-grooming-girls/
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:50 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:
Politically correct euphemisms or suppression of facts not only potentially make the problem much bigger (as they seem to have in Rotherham), but they play into the narratives and tactics of those who want to divide our society and intimidate minorities.

Interesting, here's an anti-Robinson piece that argues exactly the same thing:
https://unherd.com/2018/06/dont-hear-gang-grooming-girls/

That's what happens when the progressives agenda of screaming such terms as racist and islamaphobe comes back to bite. Genuine people are too scared to raise issues.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:25 pm

Contemnors still need to be be stopped, until the trials are done. That's now happened. People can say what they like.

What's a "genuine person" here Stui? Which of us thinks it was a good thing these crimes were committed?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 pm

David wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Absolutely, and that’s what the Breitbart crowd deliberately overlook. And there are definitely realms in which focusing on the crimes of a certain group of people (such as Trump’s focus on crimes committed by undocumented migrants) is nothing more than shameless, cynical special pleading. Yet by the same token, this case (as with, I suspect, the recent spate of Sudanese home invasions) does seem to be an example of a series of crimes that has contextually specific characteristics, in which the ethnocultural identity of the offenders might not be said to be incidental (and as above, it’s also true that those ‘types’ of crimes can eat up unwarranted public attention). I don’t know precisely how authorities should deal with these dynamics, but I suspect euphemistic language or suppression of facts is the second-worst possible response (the worst, obviously, being deliberate stoking of prejudice). One can be cautious and responsible without hiding stuff from the general public.

The authorities should pursue the perpetrators and put them in prison, if found guilty. In the usual way.

There has been no "suppression" of facts by the trial process - just the usual control exercised by the Court to do what it could to reduce the risk of a mistrial.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:28 am

Here's a reasonable summary of what Tommy Robinson is actually about:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/18/its-another-not-racist-day-in-australia

"Free speech": "You know who the real victims are Clancy? White Heterosexual Men. Because if you don't have the freedom to deny the humanity of people who aren't white and to encourage others to do the same then it's politically correct identity politics fascism. And that's antifa."

First Dog's use of random strings of words quite nicely sums up the extreme right's attempt to comprehend complex ideas.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Contemnors still need to be be stopped, until the trials are done. That's now happened. People can say what they like.

What's a "genuine person" here Stui? Which of us thinks it was a good thing these crimes were committed?

I think everyone here would be unanimous in thinking these crimes were abhorrent.

I'm not making any excuses for Robinson, he clearly put the trial in jeopardy.

I was referring to the point made in a linked article above that this criminal behaviour, raping of young women, had been happening for some time but people were afraid to call it out and take action for fear of being called Islamophobic.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45951152

The case has now been referred to the attorney general where all evidence will be presented and witness's cross examined. Looks like the whole saga is far more than a 'simple' contempt of court ruling.

Judge Hilliard: "All the evidence must be rigorously tested."

sounds about right...

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Who else has their tickets?

https://www.thedeplorables.com.au/?gclid=CjwKCAiAt4rfBRBKEiwAC678KbaEfkWaSHjuLT3lnX6DQcBFfMaF3VHPIiTlyhvtt_py1keujnmkzRoCgWIQAvD_BwE
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:44 pm

McAfee is telling me that link can't be trusted and don't go there. Confused
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:21 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

https://www.thedeplorables.com.au/?gclid=CjwKCAiAt4rfBRBKEiwAC678KbaEfkWaSHjuLT3lnX6DQcBFfMaF3VHPIiTlyhvtt_py1keujnmkzRoCgWIQAvD_BwE

P4S, I thought we could go together.
I'll be wearing a red carnation and a 1488 tattoo across my forehead.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:08 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

P4S, I thought we could go together.
I'll be wearing a red carnation and a 1488 tattoo across my forehead.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20   

Jump to: