Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Next 5 matches - Where will we be?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem isn’t the next 5. With our draw, we will have little idea about the team until quite late in the season. I suppose if they win all 5, that would be a great sign because Melbourne are in good form but if we win the other 4 and lose to them, that would still mean that the only competent opposition we’ve beaten is Adelaide.
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:04 am

If we win against all the teams outside the 8 and lose to the teams inside the 8, i think that will be enough to make the finals ( another 7 wins = total of 14 wins). Probably gives us little to no faith when we get there though.

Would be good to knock over another top 8 side.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Yep. Melbourne is in white hot form at the moment. We have an answer for Gawn but if our midfield serves up the 2nd rate stuff they've been showing most of this year, then we won't even get close. Their forward line can score heavily too and while our back 6 has pleasantly surprised, it isn't strong enough yet to handle the ski bunnies on the downhills.

Essendon is coming out of the woods and has the pace that can worry us. We are still a good show but geez I'd like us to have a fuller list to choose from.

The rest we should shit it in and bump up that percentage.
lanstro 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:30 pm

We seem to have a game plan that can consistently account for teams worse than us. At the same time we failed pretty dismally against the only decent opposition we've had recently, Geelong.

On that basis I don't see us getting over Melbourne. They've beaten the same teams we have, but far more emphatically.

Essendon we're surely favorites right now, but a lot can change in 6 weeks. Even 3 weeks ago I'd have said we'd be solid favourites against Melbourne.
MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:02 pm

Assuming both the Pies and Demons have good wins this weekend (both teams should), it sets up a mouth watering QB Clash between two in form sides.

I can't recall the last time both sides went into this fixture up and about! You watch the media build up - it'll be galactic!

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:04 pm

And spectactical
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:33 pm

MagpieDynasty wrote:
Assuming both the Pies and Demons have good wins this weekend (both teams should), it sets up a mouth watering QB Clash between two in form sides.

I can't recall the last time both sides went into this fixture up and about! You watch the media build up - it'll be galactic!

They'll be very keen to beat us too after their final game last year.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:45 pm

^They won't need to be that keen, you'd think. If they're keen, they'll probably beat us by 80 points.
Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:09 pm

MagpieDynasty wrote:

If both teams win, then it's gonna be a mouth water QB clash.

When was the last time both Melbourne and Collingwood were in form I think 2006?

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:12 pm

One week at a time, folks. One week at a time.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:11 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^They won't need to be that keen, you'd think. If they're keen, they'll probably beat us by 80 points.

No one will beat us by 80 points this year unless things go really pear-shaped & we drop our heads near the end.
The one thing that can do this is our ever-expanding injury list. As has been the case for, ooh, about 6 or 7 years, we have one of the longest injury lists in the game, 13 at last count, with 2 or 3 "season" injuries. The coaches are doing a review of this problem, which means that after 6 seasons they recognise it exists. What a shame they didn't ask me in 2014, it seemed pretty fu**in' obvious to several of us.
Still, the coaching seems to have lifted a shade this year, that certainly can't hurt, & as I mentioned elsewhere this season has echoes of 2010, early losses to big sides, but a couple of big wins too, as well as a couple of youngsters taking big steps. We've certainly seen this last in spades this year, with first year kids Stevo & Murray winning Rising star gongs, young guns like DeGoey , Phillips, and Shazza proving they were worth waiting on, & even younger guns Wills, Daicos, Sier, & McLarty taking all before them in the twos. Plenty to be happy about.
In fact 2018 seems to me like a moment between 2009 & 2010. We're currently in the 8, but could easily go up or down in the next fortnight. Injuries will certainly be a factor in how we finish the season, as we end like we begun with very tough sides to beat near the end. Getting the likes of Moore, Elliot, & Aish back will be important as we get near the pointy end, as will how many games we can get out of Daniel Wells.

For some reason I'm more worried about the Freo game than Melbourne. I know we can beat Melbourne, & if we play our best footy for even 3/4 we will.
Freo on the other hand we know we can beat, & they're just the kind gf side we could hammer. Unfortunately when that's been the case this year we've gone too easy & had to fight all the way. We don't seem to be able to keep the foot on the throat lately, making percentage a problem for us, and I have an awful feeling this could keep us out of the 4 if things go well, & out of the 8 if they don't.

If we could manage a big one over Freo, it would be a huge step, especially without a couple of our best forwards, if we sneak over the line or lose it could mean that next year will be our big hope.

And remember, apart from the Millennium, Collingwood is always right up there at the start/end of a decade! (2010-1990-1979-80-81, 1970, 1960, 1950-51, 1938-39, 1930+29+28+27! 1920, 1910, 1901-02-03 - All Grand Finals!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:16 am

^ We didn't make the grand final in 1951 and didn't even make the finals in 1950, 35F! Wink
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:11 am

David wrote:
^ We didn't make the grand final in 1951 and didn't even make the finals in 1950, 35F! Wink

Absolutely spot on David, Well caught.

it was '52 we made the Granny, Flag the following year under Louie the great. Finals in 48-49, 51-52-53. I wondered why I hadn't noticed this run before. But not bad, Grannies in every decade in years ending 9-0-1- or 2, usually more than one of those. Even with the god-awful millennium we made the Granny in 2002

I do believe that if we get it right we have the cattle to win 2019, 2020, & 2021.
This would need to start with winning a final in 2018,
several teams seem to be using the process of tanking, getting their window, trying for short term success, and tanking again. This could be used to produce a successful year every 4 or 5, but can't produce long term success. This leaves a truly great team, with winners on every line, in a position to dominate for a longer period.

At least we've reached a point where we know the boys will leave nothing on the field & be there at the end each week.

That'll do for now.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:28 pm

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Our 7 wins have been against 9, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 and 18. We’ve lost to 2, 5, 10 and 11. We’re yet to play 1, 3, 4, 6 and 8.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:37 pm

^ That really means nothing at this time.

It would make more sense to measure against the ladder position of the opposition at the time we played them, and even then that would be of little value.

Wins Losses is the only measure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: