Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Marty Friedman is coming to Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:59 pm
Post subject: Marty Friedman is coming to CollingwoodReply with quote

No, this is not a post about some obscure pianist that I really like and you will all hate. This post is about a guy who has (well, should have - he has many but he should have others) more platinum-certified albums on his wall than you have had hot dinners.

For those of you that care about such matters, the extraordinary Marty Friedman is going to play at the Bendigo Hotel in Johnston St on 13 December 2019.

As fate would have it, I won't be going (I will be watching Opeth at the Palais the same night). You'd think they could organise these things better - surely they know that the same relatively confined target audience (career metalheads, would-be guitar virtuosos and indulgent dads wearing noise-protection Shocked ) would go to both events.

Marty, of course, was the lead guitarist for Megadeth at its most spectacular. In my humble opinion, his solos are generally beyond playable by normal humans and his performance on Tornado of Souls is one of the landmarks of music in the 20th Century. If you don't know what the fuss is about, have a listen to it - if you don't want to listen to a piece of thrash metal, just click in at about 2 m 50 s and listen until 4 m 10 s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcm9qqo_qB0

If you want to visualise the challenge, here's Megadeth's current guitarist (Kiko Loureiro, also an absolute gun) practising it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CYuJcUeF6k

Of course, Kiko only has to be able to play it - he didn't have to write it.

Marty joined Megadeth just in time to record "Rust In Peace". Wikipedia reports that "For the first time the band's members remained sober in the studio, alleviating many problems which plagued previous albums."

Gotta love it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't write that, you abuse substances and play it and some one else writes it out after they get their bruised jaw treated. Shocked

the only guitar lessons i had was when i went on tour with my music teacher in year 9 and he got me to do that kind of stuff rather than play chords, but to be clear, I was operating on grade 2 -3 primary school, that is PhD.

I wonder if you can do that on a banjo?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 pm

Not sure, Stui - but banjo technique can be put to stunning effect on an electric guitar, in the right hands. Robert Fripp, who was and is the greatest of the progressive rock guitarists attributes his ridiculous style and talent to learning the banjo first.

Let me know if you wake up one morning playing “Starless”. Wink
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Not sure, Stui - but banjo technique can be put to stunning effect on an electric guitar, in the right hands. Robert Fripp, who was and is the greatest of the progressive rock guitarists attributes his ridiculous style and talent to learning the banjo first.

Let me know if you wake up one morning playing “Starless”. Wink

I thought you meant Kinky Freidman

& in the current circumstances he wrote a song about Donald Trump albeit about 40 years ago Wink

Proud to be asshole from El Paso

https://www.searchnewworld.com/search/search2.html?p=lyrics%20from%20proud%20to%20be%20an%20asshole%20from%20el%20paso

...and while you're at it I have quite few Robert Fripp albums in the collection from many years ago, he and Eno amongst others and of course King Crimson with 22nd century schizoid man.. Then again "Confusion will be be my Epitaph" as I continue to support Collingwood. When I get back to Melboure I'm gunna take out the vinyl, fire up the valve amp & enjoy some music

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:34 am

Here's a one-hour guitar lesson from Marty - because that'll help. I expect we'll all be playing like him by the end. It's great when he starts with making it "obvious" over the E, D and A. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OmDoa2SkKY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: